To stack or not with Genie+ in one park

Dischris11

Original Poster
When we went in 2021, we used the stacking strategy in Genie + where we got a LL right around 11:00 (two hours after park opening), did rope drop and short lines, then got another LL just before scanning into the first LL due to the 120 minute rule and then played with two LL’s off and on for the rest of the day. I’m wondering if this is still a good strategy or if I should just book LL’s as soon as I can and just go from one to the other without stacking. I’m especially interested because we will be a group of 10 this time (we were 5 before). We are not park hopping. I’m mainly concerned with how to do this in MK. Thoughts?

nickys

Premium Member
It depends if there are certain rides you absolutely must do and what your tolerance is for waiting, amongst other things.

Will you be using early entry and be there early enough to knock out more than one ride? Are you OK with cross-crossing the park or would you rather be methodical and work your way round? Do you have another day in MK to ride anything you miss?

Dischris11

Original Poster
It depends if there are certain rides you absolutely must do and what your tolerance is for waiting, amongst other things.

Will you be using early entry and be there early enough to knock out more than one ride? Are you OK with cross-crossing the park or would you rather be methodical and work your way round? Do you have another day in MK to ride anything you miss?
We will be using early entry but it is our only day in MK.

Marionnette

When we went in 2021, we used the stacking strategy in Genie + where we got a LL right around 11:00 (two hours after park opening), did rope drop and short lines, then got another LL just before scanning into the first LL due to the 120 minute rule and then played with two LL’s off and on for the rest of the day. I’m wondering if this is still a good strategy or if I should just book LL’s as soon as I can and just go from one to the other without stacking. I’m especially interested because we will be a group of 10 this time (we were 5 before). We are not park hopping. I’m mainly concerned with how to do this in MK. Thoughts?
What's your goal? Is it to crush the headliners or is it to get as many Genie+ selections as you can within a day?

If it's the former, then I recommend stacking as best as possible. Then fill in the gaps with less popular attractions, snacking or shopping. Definitely fiddle-faddle once you've booked a G+ to get a better time. The modify feature makes it so much easier than when G+ first came out and you had to cancel a reservation before you could book a better time.

If it's the latter, then grab the very next attraction time available to you once you tap in at your G+. This might involve traversing the park multiple times, which would be difficult to do with 10 people. You could also limit yourself to whatever attraction is the next available one within the area near you. That would be an easier strategy with such a large group.

Dischris11

Original Poster
So I just learned from another board that the approach I used last time was a workaround that Disney IT has closed so it’s not a possibility anymore. That’s a bummer because it worked well.

nickys

Premium Member
So I just learned from another board that the approach I used last time was a workaround that Disney IT has closed so it’s not a possibility anymore. That’s a bummer because it worked well.
Oh, you mean when you could get one after 2 hours and when you used the same one? Yes, that was closed. But you can still stack them.

And since they closed that loophole they have also allowed you to modify the times earlier or later without affecting the 2 hour start time. That makes it much easier to stack and still suit you.

Dischris11

Original Poster
Oh, you mean when you could get one after 2 hours and when you used the same one? Yes, that was closed. But you can still stack them.

And since they closed that loophole they have also allowed you to modify the times earlier or later without affecting the 2 hour start time. That makes it much easier to stack and still suit you.
I have a question about modifying. If I book a G+ at 1pm (first) and another at 11:30 (second, most recent) and my two hour window is up at 11, if I modify the 1pm to 10:30 would I still be able to book when my two hour window is up at 11?

nickys

Premium Member
I have a question about modifying. If I book a G+ at 1pm (first) and another at 11:30 (second, most recent) and my two hour window is up at 11, if I modify the 1pm to 10:30 would I still be able to book when my two hour window is up at 11?
The 2 hrs is based on the time you make the booking, not the ride time.

So at 7am you book ride A for 1pm.

Then at 11am (assuming a 9am park open) you can book ride B, with a return time of 11:30am in your example.

You then modify the time for ride A to 10:30am and tap in.

You cannot book again until you either tap into ride B or 2 hours after booking ride B. That would be between 11:30 and 12:30, depending when you tap in. The 2 hr rule would be redundant in that case but would have been at 1pm.

Weather_Lady

It depends very much on your plans for the day, and your priorities. However, at MK, unless you're visiting at a time of high crowds when return times get pushed back more quickly, I'd suggest making G+ reservations one at a time for attractions near you with quicker return times, rather than stacking them up.

By way of example, 2 weeks ago, we got G+ for our visits to MK and HS.

At MK, the best use of G+ seemed to be to make them for the earliest possible time at the next big attraction we planned to do, since the return times were typically 20 minutes or less into the future (or could be modified to closer times with a little refreshing). Using a pre-rope-drop arrival, G+, and the Tron VQ (but not purchasing any ILLs), we ended up doing every attraction at MK (minus Tom Sawyer Island, Liberty Belle, Hall of Presidents, Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Dumbo, Teacups, and Swiss Family Treehouse -- all skipped intentionally) in one day this way, with no standby or LL waits over 20 minutes, even though we took a 3-hour nap break in the middle of it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom