To rent a car or not to rent a car...

jengrey

Has anyone used the WDW buses lately?

I've been reading quite a few negative reviews regarding the resort bus service from the past year (long waits, it taking way too long to get to the parks because the bus stops at numerous resorts, overcrowding, etc, etc). Were the buses from your resort to the parks horrible, decent, or great? I'd like to know because I'm debating renting a car at MCO and driving to and from the parks. My husband and I will be staying at POFQ and, although I've stayed there before and have taken the buses with no real problems, that was 5 years ago.

...and one more question: does anyone have good recommendations for rental companies?

SAV

I always rent a car. I prefer to be in control of my travels instead of relying on someone else. We also like to have our own space to go back to the resort in after a long hot, sticky day at the parks.

As for who to use, I'll tell you who NOT to use...Dollar. Last trip we waited over an hour in the line at the airport to get our car. There were only 2 left and the one we got was a junker. Had to go back 2 days later and return it for a different one it was so bad. Not the way I wanted to spend my vacation time.

I have used Alamo and Thrifty in the past with no problems. Definitely use the discount codes on Mousesavers.com to save some good $$$.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

I live an hour away so I always drive to WDW but once there I don't use my car again till I check out. I love the Disney transportation. I've never had any bad experiences with it. I know a lot of ppl just complain about it to complain but others I'm sure have legit complaints. Nothing is perfect. I know some resorts example Pop
can get some pretty long lines at the bus stops, but they usually have extra buses as well. Renting a car can be a nice thing as well. Traffic at Disney is always an adventure. You do get free parking if staying on property, you can come and go whenever with no bus lines. Leaving parks at close by car can be a drag, example took me over an hour to get out of Epcot parking lot once lol. But every person will give you a different opinion. I'm also very patient where a lot of people at Disney aren't. So a 20 min wait for a bus is nothing. Prob spend that walking to your car in the parking lot. Granted there are occasions the buses are late. I know people throw sh*t fits if they're 5 mins late. Longest I've ever waited was 30 and that was in the summer time. If your going during a slow time I'd def use Disney transportation. If your going at a busy time I'd maybe do the rent a car but keep in mind traffic will be hectic and parking is always interesting. I know in the summer I do tend to drive myself just to avoid the Brazilian groups.

Upvote 0

NonnaT

We always rent as well.... However, that being said, we (DHoneyman and myself) are planning a quick trip (only 3 days, aack) in December for Disney dining and plan to use Disney transport from MCO and around the world . I am kind of anxious, worried we won't make rope drop, and be able to go to and fro parks mid day. So we will see....

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

We always rent as well.... However, that being said, we (DHoneyman and myself) are planning a quick trip (only 3 days, aack) in December for Disney dining and plan to use Disney transport from MCO and around the world . I am kind of anxious, worried we won't make rope drop, and be able to go to and fro parks mid day. So we will see....
Never had any issues getting to rope drop. I'd plan on being at the bus stop an hour before park opening to be safe. Mid day I always go back to the resort and usually have the bus to myself or pretty empty. It's park closing that if any issues with buses is when it happens. But I always stay late if there's EMH and lines aren't bad after

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

It is always nice to have the option of driving to AK and DHS for us. It makes it easier to head to DTD....well maybe before they started all of the destruction, which I'm sure will be great once complete. However you can take the boat from POFQ which is a nice bonus. It is also a plus if you have ADRs at another resort that you have to plan a route to.

Other things to consider:
**how long of a walk from the parking lot to the park? It may be quicker to ride the bus and you get dropped off closer often times

**how long does it take to drive myself to the park from the resort? is it quicker than the bus after you pay parking, get flagged into a spot and wait for the tram if applicable

**do you like some flexibility in your plans-would you leave a park to hop to DTD for a meal?

**you are ready to go to the parks as soon as you have dressed and eaten (in any order ;)) no need to wait, just hop in and drive

**do you have a stroller or wheelchair that can be hauled easier in the car. Motorized ones are serviced really well by the busses

I think ultimately it comes down to how many times will you use a vehicle? Does it justify the cost?

Upvote 0

mattdenine

We always have a rental car to go off property for shopping etc. but always use Disney transportation to get from the resort to wherever we are going.

We always use the Costco travel site as you can check multiple companies at once.

Upvote 0

dlboath

We stayed at POR last Aug/Sept and had no issues with bus service. They had tvs at the resort bus stop saying when the next bus would show up which was awesome. I'm not sure if they are at all resorts yet, though. We always took time to browse in the stores if we were still in the parks at closing time instead of racing to the bus. This way by the time we got there, most of the huge crowds were already gone.

Upvote 0

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Another option... If you are flying in, I believe you can still take the Magical Express bus then rent a car once you are on property. You may need to take a taxi to the rental agency, but you still get the luggage service with DME.

Upvote 0

rob0519

We always rent. Having been to the World almost two dozen times over the years, it gives us the flexibility to get off property once or twice. We've also found it easier to drive to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom and DTD than take the bus, but that's just us. We've used Enterprise, Budget mostly. Alamo seemed to get a big rush every afternoon when the flights from the UK get in. As a previous post said, you can still take Magical Express and rent a car at the Swan / Dolphin and I think the Car Center near the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

danheaton

We've always rented a car, but we have young kids and a lot of stuff to haul. I can see the benefit of not messing with it in some cases. That said, I do think you may encounter a few longer waits at the buses. There are benefits to either choice; it really depends on your preference.

Upvote 0

Tom P.

For those who choose to rent a car and drive to the parks, do you find it to be a pain at all that you're coming back to a hot, sticky car that's been locked up tight all day instead of an air conditioned bus that, while crowded, will be cool?

Upvote 0

Squigglove

We originally planned this coming trip using the Disney buses but we'll be going end of peak season so I decided to get a car.
We'll be taking a baby this time, he'll turn 2 while we're there. I'm worried about getting back to the room for naps and about being on time for reservations and about getting to the parks in a timely fashion. When Disney told me I should allow 1hr - 1.5hrs to get from Port Orleans to the Magic Kingdom it was the final straw, I just said "No Way!" And we added a rental car.

We went with Nu Car Rentals (on carrentals.com) this time because it was only $165 for an Ecomony car for 8 days. We don't know if they're a good rental agency yet, we'll surely find out. But I'll be taking my own baby car seat since I've heard horror stories about those too.

Upvote 0

pug

Has anyone used the WDW buses lately?

I've been reading quite a few negative reviews regarding the resort bus service from the past year (long waits, it taking way too long to get to the parks because the bus stops at numerous resorts, overcrowding, etc, etc). Were the buses from your resort to the parks horrible, decent, or great? I'd like to know because I'm debating renting a car at MCO and driving to and from the parks. My husband and I will be staying at POFQ and, although I've stayed there before and have taken the buses with no real problems, that was 5 years ago.

...and one more question: does anyone have good recommendations for rental companies?
The buses at fq are really good you could also just use Uber it's about $20 each way from the parks to the resort

Upvote 0

KRW101

For those who choose to rent a car and drive to the parks, do you find it to be a pain at all that you're coming back to a hot, sticky car that's been locked up tight all day instead of an air conditioned bus that, while crowded, will be cool?

For me and my family a hot car at night is better than standing on a crowded bus for the trip back to our room. Every one has their preferences.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom