Time for the war to begin.

PaulZ

Because being mature and not hating a Park because it’s not your #1 favorite brand isn’t fun on message boards.

Seriously, I have no problem with Universal. I’ve been there, they are fine but I prefer most of Disney’s parks over there’s. I say most because I prefer staying home over Hollywood Studios.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I agree Disney should build many more new things but not to compete with themselves just to have more for people to do. I believe Disney owns a major share of universal so they are not in competition they are one in the same.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious, but if it's the latter, Disney doesn't own a major share of Universal....they don't own any of Universal. I think Comcast, Universal's parent company, would have a problem with that. I would think, as you allege to be a CM, you might know that....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disney doesn't own universal.

The only thing of Universal are the Marvel rights but Univeraal owns those rights in Flordia from a contract with the previous owners.

Let's clarify that Marvel right thing. Universal has purchased the right to base rides on, sell merchandise and provide team members costumed as Marvel characters in their theme parks. Disney, Sony and Fox (please correct me if I've gotten the list, other than Disney, incorrect) own the IPs, with Disney owning the majority through their purchase of Marvel Studios. So Disney receives, in essence, royalty payments from Comcast for any of the sales related to characters in the Marvel Universe they own. And that may also include a % of ticket sale revenues from the parks, based upon the number of Marvel character rides in the parks.

Just like when you purchase software. When you buy MS Office 360, you're actually purchasing a license agreement that allows you to install and use the software under specific circumstances. You don't own the code.

LAKid53

Premium Member
wow 100 acres! just 45000 acres more to go

If you're comparing the recent purchase of 101 acres by Comcast to the amount of total acres for WDW, you've slightly inflated Disney's number. TWDC purchased about 27,000 acres in the 1960s, or about 43 square miles.

CaptainAmerica

Disney, Sony and Fox (please correct me if I've gotten the list, other than Disney, incorrect) own the IPs, with Disney owning the majority through their purchase of Marvel Studios.
Eh, be careful with the language there. The IP is still "owned" by Disney depending on how you want to define "owned." Sony and Fox have film rights to certain characters in the same way that Universal has theme park rights. But it's not "ownership" in a traditional sense.

Bender123

Eh, be careful with the language there. The IP is still "owned" by Disney depending on how you want to define "owned." Sony and Fox have film rights to certain characters in the same way that Universal has theme park rights. But it's not "ownership" in a traditional sense.

A fox deal is really weird with Fantastic 4...Basically, Marvel sold the rights to some weird company called Constantin films. Fox bought the right to distribute the movies. Now if the Fox/WDC deal closes, Marvel will own the distribution rights to its own movie, but it doesn't have production rights. Marvel made a huge mess of these licenses, which is why we now have a Spiderman in the MCU based on a licensing agreement, but we have a stand alone Venom movie that, as of now, doesn't seem to tie in at all, which is being done alone by Sony.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I thought Sony owned both the film rights AND the Spider-Man IP. That Stan Lee had sold it to them long before Disney purchased Marvel Studios. I understand the difference between the right to distribute films and owning the IP the film is based on. Now I'll have to go back and look at the chart of the Marvel Universe.

CaptainAmerica

I thought Sony owned both the film rights AND the Spider-Man IP. That Stan Lee had sold it to them long before Disney purchased Marvel Studios. I understand the difference between the right to distribute films and owning the IP the film is based on. Now I'll have to go back and look at the chart of the Marvel Universe.
I don't think so. That would mean that Marvel is paying Sony to license Spider-Man back for comic books, merchandise, etc.

file_0d6a0b16.jpeg

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think we agree. I'm talking more broadly than just the movies.

Ok, I get you. That agreement between Sony and Marvel Studios on Spiderman reminds me of the agreement George Lucas made with David Ladd at 20th Century Fox to get A New Hope financed. He gave Fox both the IP and film rights in perpetuity. But wisely kept the merchandising rights - and that's what made him rich.

EmmaPan

With Universal's purchase of an additional 100 acres, they now have enough land for 2 more gates, a new City Walk and more hotels. They will go ahead with this soon, so Disney must act now. Universal is serious about equalling what Disney currently has so the only way to keep it's lead is for Disney to start an all-out war.

Disney should buy Seaworld, build a 5th gate based on villans and add scare zones for Holloween and of course more hotel rooms. They need to do this now and not wait for Universals move. SeaWorld could be used both as an extra thing to do for people visiting WDW and Southern California and while also working as a regional park operator. It would be a win win for Disney and Seaworld.

Disney still has a major lead and can't afford to let Universal continue to gain on them. Taking these steps would not only add gates but go after Universal on their Halloween Horror nights without hurting the current Not so scary Halloween Party. The time is now for the real war to begin.

I watch this war unfold with baited breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom