Tiki Room

General Grizz

Original Poster
Anyone visiting the Enchanted Tiki Room, could you please take a look to see if the hosts have been given new AAs? I've heard that the AAs have been replaced over the summer rehab. Or, if anyone has been recently, can they confirm it?

DCA Fan

The only thing I've heard happen to the Tiki Room was the roofing replaced after Dole execs paid a surprise visit.

Disneynutcase

By "AA's," do you mean Audio-Anamatronics? I'm confused because of your term "host"--there are CMs who kind of start the show by awakening Jose, but once the show gets rolling the four principal parrots are the main attractions.

I just went to DL 10 days ago and actually saw the Tiki Room. Everything looked the same as it always does. How can you tell if they updated or replaced things? Or to put it another way, if they did replace the four main birds AA's, then they put exact replicas in their places--which is a possiblity.

But Grizzlyhall, I know you love this show. And as a long-time frequenter of DL (been going since the late '60's), I can say that the show remains in what looks like a well-preserved original state--same birds, flowers, tikis, and songs.

We did miss the pre-show though. They were seating as we hit the attraction. So I don't know if that's still the same.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Yes, I mean the four hosts, Jose, Fritz, Pierre, and Michael. Someone said the characters had new Animatronics to "help them out". But, he wasn't too detatiled. Thanks for the info. :) Glad to hear Walt's original is still in great shape! :sohappy:

Disneynutcase

Well again I say that they could've put in new AA birds. But all the movements seemed to be the same as I remember, so I don't think they reprogrammed anything new into the show. Would be kind of interesting if they did, though.

I did notice that I seemed to be paying attention to details more than usual. And everything seemed to be shiny and colorful, unlike how IASW at MK looked over Easter Break--(it was dingy, clunky, in need of repairs, and had several key lights out in many areas). Soundtrack seemed sharper, too. Everyone in this show seemed to respond (Groan/Laugh) to the corny jokes more than I remember.

Then again, I was there on the Tuesday of the Anaheim Angels victory celebration, so most everyone in the two parks were pretty upbeat that day.

JLW11Hi

Well, here is my first post after just getting back from Disneyland. I went last Friday-Sunday and it was the first time I had been there since about 1993. And I must say, I had a great time! I never imagined how great Disneyland would turn out to be, especially after all the talk I keep hearing about it being "run down". To be completely honest, after this trip I might just say DL is my overal favorite Disney theme park.

However....:)) )

Out of all the classics I went to, I am sorry to disagree with you, but the Tiki Room seems to be the most in need of an update. I do still enjoy the show and the songs, but the soundtrack just doesn't seem to be in a great amout of shape anymore. It seems way too quiet in the showroom for some reason. The other thing that bothered me throughout the show was the "clapping" noise made by many of the animatronics in the show, especially in the singing flowers and "Tiki Gods". Everytime they move, you can hear all the gears clicking around in the AAs. When the flowers sing, everytime their "mouths" come together, they "clap" somewhat loudly, which to me disrupts the singing and the music.

BUT, with that aside, I thouroughly enjoyed pretty much everything else in the park, and I will post a trip report here when I get some free time!

Disneynutcase

Re: the "clapping" noise.

Yeah, but they've always done that--at least since '69 when I first went to DL. I'm pretty sure the flowers "clap" at the WDW "Under New Management" version as well. I've always felt that this is one of the subtle (albiet somewhat annoying) charms of the shows.

And I agree on the quiet aspect. Not a lot of people were seated for the performance I saw--granted it was a Tuesday in late October so crowds weren't too big and all die-hard Angels fans were over at DCA by this time. So perhaps my feeling that the soundtrack was improved was due to having good seats (probably near a speaker--we were between Jose and Fritz) and the fact that it was quiet within the room so we could really hear everything.

Then again, I got up at 5:00am to get down to Anaheim that day (the area was mobbed by 7:00am) and it was late in the day when I saw the show. So fatigue could've played into my perceptions.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Disneynutcase
Re: the "clapping" noise.

Yeah, but they've always done that--at least since '69 when I first went to DL. I'm pretty sure the flowers "clap" at the WDW "Under New Management" version as well. I've always felt that this is one of the subtle (albiet somewhat annoying) charms of the shows.

And I agree on the quiet aspect. Not a lot of people were seated for the performance I saw--granted it was a Tuesday in late October so crowds weren't too big and all die-hard Angels fans were over at DCA by this time. So perhaps my feeling that the soundtrack was improved was due to having good seats (probably near a speaker--we were between Jose and Fritz) and the fact that it was quiet within the room so we could really hear everything.

Then again, I got up at 5:00am to get down to Anaheim that day (the area was mobbed by 7:00am) and it was late in the day when I saw the show. So fatigue could've played into my perceptions.

To be all honest, I never remembered hearing much clapping noises at the WDW Tiki Room, except from the tiki Gods (the faces). The drummers, IMO, have been updated at WDW to be much better than the older ones, mainly because their drumming is so loud that it cuts out any other noises.

I just think that sooner or later when Disney refurbishes the Tiki Room, they will probably fix all these things. One thing I like a lot about the DL tiki Room is the fountain. (but the one at WDW has an anamatronic Tiki God Lady thing thats pretty cool, too.)

General Grizz

Original Poster
Walt Disney World has singing flowers. The only thing it doesn't have that is missing from the original is the enchanted fountain, which was replaced in 1998.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Nothing weird about that...really... :)

But the Enchanted Fountain is a treasure. Heh..there was a whole segment dedicated to it, Offenbach. I think it was cut. But it really was a nostalgic serenade!! I really miss the original show. It is so near, and yet, so far!! I'd be moving to Disneyland if they put bears and COP there!! Oh, gawrsh, I miss the original!!

Tissue, please!! :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom