Tiana's Bayou Adventure 2.0

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Original Poster
With Tiana's Bayou Adventure seemingly a *disappointment (TBA reviews still TBD with public), what would your inner Imagineer do to improve the experience if you were in charge of a hypothetical Tiana's Bayou Adventure 2.0?

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

With Tiana's Bayou Adventure seemingly a *disappointment (TBA reviews still TBA with public), what would your inner Imagineer do to improve the experience if you were in charge of a hypothetical Tiana's Bayou Adventure 2.0?

Great thread idea. What I would do is....

Scenes

1. Outside Swamp Critters (frogs, snakes, gators)
2. Welcome to New Orleans w/ Dr. John Frog
3. Tiana and Prince Naveen meet Ray the Firefly, Dr. John Frog (is lying on a gator) and other critters
4. Dr Facilier and his friends on the other side
5. Mama Odie turns Tiana and Naveen back into humans at their wedding, surrounded by swamp critters
6. Goodbye from New Orleans w/ Dr. John Frog and Louis

Songs

1. Sounds of the Swamps and Violin Music
2. Down in New Orleans (Dr. John's Version)
3. Gonna Take You There (Goin' Down the Bayou)
4. Friends On the Other Side
5. Background Music
6. Down in New Orleans (Dr. John's Version)

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Original Poster
So one thing I've noticed (originally assumed was just not working or turned off) was that many of the set elements seem to lack animation: The do-nothing, pointless swamp shack, the instrument-looking pitcher plants that just stand there mouth agape, the N.O. cityscape at the end of the ride lacking the typical fireworks or perhaps an "Evangeline" firefly farewell. So many set elements that could be doing something in rhythm to the music, be it singing or dancing. For a short term fix, that's what I would add in lieu of more animated figures.

- Obviously needs a story rewrite. I mentioned previously about giving Juju a more prominent role. Having his home be that hollowed log interior with a giant Juju head in place of the projected screen might be fun if the preferred Dr. Facilier antagonist/Friends on the Other side narrative couldn't be realized.
- Needs more fireflies throughout even if static with only blinking butts. Spinning mobiles would be best.
- A quick fix to the current attraction would be to position the trigger sensors before the AA scenes and not in front of them.
- More critters.
- New backstory to establish the attraction as a Grand Opening celebration of Tiana Foods even if it were to include the clichéd "something goes wrong" detour into the bayou.
- Princess Tiana iconic green "princess" dress in finale or wedding dress if a book report retheme

But the bigger hangup for me is that the attraction doesn't even feel like an extension of The Princess of the Frog. Visually, I think it's due in-part to the contrast between the realistic set designs against the toony AA figures. I think a greater reworking of that, maybe improved lighting, made more saturated under a blue wash with more colorful props in the foreground?

In any case, the tip top requirement for me is to have the TBA overhaul include a character transforming into a frog. Without that storybeat - it just isn't a PatF attraction.

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great thread idea. What I would do is....

Scenes

1. Outside Swamp Critters (frogs, snakes, gators)
2. Welcome to New Orleans w/ Dr. John Frog
3. Tiana and Prince Naveen meet Ray the Firefly, Dr. John Frog (is lying on a gator) and other critters
4. Dr Facilier and his friends on the other side
5. Mama Odie turns Tiana and Naveen back into humans at their wedding, surrounded by swamp critters
6. Goodbye from New Orleans w/ Dr. John Frog and Louis

The idea of including a Dr. John Frog as a nod to Brer Frog would be a fun addition.

MickeyMouse10

The idea of including a Dr. John Frog as a nod to Brer Frog would be a fun addition.

It's actually a nod to both Brer Frog... and Dr. John, who unfortunately passed away in 2019. He sang one of the versions of "Down in New Orleans" for the movie. He was a great musician born and raised down in New Orleans.

MickeyMouse10

dr john frog.jpg

I was thinking something like this, but without the bow tie.

Miru

So one thing I've noticed (originally assumed was just not working or turned off) was that many of the set elements seem to lack animation: The do-nothing, pointless swamp shack, the instrument-looking pitcher plants that just stand there mouth agape, the N.O. cityscape at the end of the ride lacking the typical fireworks or perhaps an "Evangeline" firefly farewell. So many set elements that could be doing something in rhythm to the music, be it singing or dancing. For a short term fix, that's what I would add in lieu of more animated figures.

- Obviously needs a story rewrite. I mentioned previously about giving Juju a more prominent role. Having his home be that hollowed log interior with a giant Juju head in place of the projected screen might be fun if the preferred Dr. Facilier antagonist/Friends on the Other side narrative couldn't be realized.
- Needs more fireflies throughout even if static with only blinking butts. Spinning mobiles would be best.
- A quick fix to the current attraction would be to position the trigger sensors before the AA scenes and not in front of them.
- More critters.
- New backstory to establish the attraction as a Grand Opening celebration of Tiana Foods even if it were to include the clichéd "something goes wrong" detour into the bayou.
- Princess Tiana iconic green "princess" dress in finale or wedding dress if a book report retheme

But the bigger hangup for me is that the attraction doesn't even feel like an extension of The Princess of the Frog. Visually, I think it's due in-part to the contrast between the realistic set designs against the toony AA figures. I think a greater reworking of that, maybe improved lighting, made more saturated under a blue wash with more colorful props in the foreground?

In any case, the tip top requirement for me is to have the TBA overhaul include a character transforming into a frog. Without that storybeat - it just isn't a PatF attraction.
Yeah, I had an idea for it being Charlotte who turns into a frog this time (by accident, encountering one of Facillier’s leftover trinkets), and looking to her friends for help with the experience. I feel like to differentiate itself from SM, more sea life and invertebrates would be good among the critters, and less domestic animals.

MickeyMouse10

- More critters.

Yeah, it definitely needs a redo. Ray is totally underutilized during the ride. He is the comic relief in the original film. He could have looked even bigger if they are keeping "the shrunk down" parts of the storyline.

I'd go with Dr. Facilier before "the really big" drop though. It connects more with the old vulture scene from the previous ride. Facilier could even act like the visitors are going to venture towards the light, and join his friends on the other side.

Miru

Yeah, it definitely needs a redo. Ray is totally underutilized during the ride. He is the comic relief in the original film. He could have looked even bigger if they are keeping "the shrunk down" parts of the storyline.

I'd go with Dr. Facilier before "the really big" drop though. It connects more with the old vulture scene from the previous ride. Facilier could even act like the visitors are going to venture towards the light, and join his friends on the other side.
“There are better alternatives to being a slimy little frog… especially when it comes to making a deal with me, Charles or whoever it was”

“It’s Charlotte! And again, it’s mucus!”

(Cue drop)

Ghost93

1. Change the entire reason for going into the bayou. Instead of searching for a band of animals (which is beyond stupid), Tiana and Louis are going into the Bayou on a rescue mission to find Naveen, who has gone missing when he was supposed to be helping set up for the big party.
2. Have Tiana first appear in her iconic green dress on the first lift hill so that it's easier to connect her with how she looks in the Princess and the Frog. She shouldn't be seen in her adventure outfit until we go into the show scenes inside the bayou.
3. The Critters in the bayou should still sing and perform "Going to Take you There" but instead of Tiana saying "they can sure play!" she should say "maybe these critters have seen Naveen!"
4. During the part where it gets quiet, where Tiana is seen sitting on a tree stump and Louis is stuck, Tiana's dialogue should be revised to say that she heard Naveen was last seen being dragged by shadows over the waterfall, where the plunge to the Dig A Little Deeper/Laughin place segment takes place.
5. The entire shrinking/Dig a Little Deeper sequence is removed. Instead, we dive into a creepy portion of the bayou where, crocidiles, Dr. Facilier and the shadow demons lurk. No overt Voodoo masks are shown (to avoid offending anyone), but the shadows are conveyed through projection mapping. We see Naveen tied up with Dr. Facillier holding him prisoner (in the same spot in the original Splash Mountain attraction where Brer Fox captured Brer Rabbit with a honeypot). Dr. Facilier reveals that he captured Naveen to lure Tiana, Louis and us (the party guests on a log flume) into a trap and that his Friends on the Other Side have agreed to let him return to the physical world in exchange for our souls.
6. We go up the lift hill as the shadow demons chant "are you ready!" But then Mama Odie (an animatronic on the lift hill uses her magic) to destroy Facilier and the shadows as we plunge 50 feet.
7. After the plunge, we hear and audio voiceovers of Tiana saying "that was a close call! Now we have to hurry to get to the party!"
8. The final "Special Spice" party scene at the end remains in tact. It's the one part of the attraction that is perfect.

The Great Gonzo

Disney has to see how much people dislike this new ride right??? No amount of ignoring it will make it go away. It went from an A+++ ride to what a C-??? The storyline makes little to no sense and so does shrinking people down half way on the stinkin ride.

Miru

Disney has to see how much people dislike this new ride right??? No amount of ignoring it will make it go away. It went from an A+++ ride to what a C-??? The storyline makes little to no sense and so does shrinking people down half way on the stinkin ride.
“It’s not WEB SLINGERS bad”…

A lot of rides aren’t WEB SLINGERS bad.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Original Poster
Do nothing AAs and a weak story will do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom