"Throw Away" Clothes

Gabe1124

Original Poster
Hey everyone, my wife and I are running in the Wine and Dine and this will be our first half, I have been reading on certain things we will need for the race or tips people have. I have read about "Throw away" clothes, I know Wine and Dine is at night and thinking it may be cooler waiting for the race to start/running the first mile or so. Do people wear extra layers and just shed them as they go. Just wondering what to expect/pack for the race when we go down and what most people do. I know Wine and Dine may be unique in this case because it is at night, so it may be cooler. Thanks for the help.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I usually go to a thrift store and purchase a sweat suit for $5 or so for really cold events that you have to stand outside for awhile. I ditch them and they go back to the thrift stores. So, it is like a donation. I see this event is in early November. Average low is 60 and average high is 80. Record low is 44 so you never know, but personally I would pack anything other than what i planned on wearing. If you are cold nature, then yes, pack a old long sleeve. Me, I would be basking in the glory of a low of 60 wishing it was a low of 40 in a short sleeve tech shirt. :D

Wait till the day before you leave and look at the extended forecast. Then it is still a 50/50 shot (Yes, that is a dig at the weather channel)

JillC LI

Yes, I've brought throw away clothes to a number of races. I pick things up at the dollar store or really cheap elsewhere. A pair of gloves, a sweatshirt, etc. I know myself, and I get cold very easily before I start running. I don't want to be all tense and miserable before I start a race. And I feel good if the throw away clothes get donated to the poor. If it will just be raining before a race begins but not cold, you can bring a big garbage bag to stay dry before you start running.

LindsayLoves

Jill,

If it rains at the marathon I owe you one. Warm clothing was on my radar for packing but nothing for rain. I don't mind running in the rain - I do mind standing around in the rain for 2 hours before the race.

joel_maxwell

Jill,

If it rains at the marathon I owe you one. Warm clothing was on my radar for packing but nothing for rain. I don't mind running in the rain - I do mind standing around in the rain for 2 hours before the race.
If there was an app on my iphone called, "Jill's Knowledge", Id be that much more prepared. I think of 99% of things, but Jill always taps into that 1%

lukacseven

I get stuff from a huge outdoor market - really cheap. One of the best things is extra long tube socks used as arm warmers - you can cut the toes off, or just poke a hole for your thumb.

Trash bags are popular and most expos have Tyvek jackets, & cotton work gloves available for purchase cheap.

I agree with what someone else said...I don't mind running in the rain as long as I'm dry when I cross the start line.

Mad Stitch

I can deal with the rain, I can handle the cold. It’s when we get the rain and cold together that make's me miserable. :)

lukacseven

Like the January Marathon back in 2010 when I packed a ton of throw away clothes and ended up wearing them all for the whole race and it was actually snowing at the start line for the half. Running in the cold is fine in the Northeast, but when it's 29 degrees in Florida there's something wrong with that.

dreamfinder

It all depends on you the runner. Throw away clothes is stuff that you can literally just throw away. Some people just bring old clothes they have, others buy cheap stuff at the thrift store, and still others actually go out and buy nice clothing with the expectation that charity will make good use of it. If you wear actual clothing of some sort, they will often collect it to donate to charity. Others just rock a trash bag or something similar. I think the Tyvek gear is a waste. You pay like $10 per piece, and then throw it out. And I think most races do just that, and don't bother to donate it.

From past experiences from the old ToT races and the first W&D, it's not that cold at night. I don't think I saw anyone wearing any extra layers, arm sleeves, hats or gloves. You may chill down after the race once you stop moving, but I don't recall it being that cold at start. It never hurts to bring a trash bag as they help to conserve heat and also keep you dry. Just check the expected weather before hand.

wiigirl

I can deal with the rain, I can handle the cold. It’s when we get the rain and cold together that make me miserable. :)

Me too...something about being wet AND cold I can't handle.
75.gif

JillC LI

Jill,

Glad to be of service. Just sharing tips I've found helpful that others have shared with me.

If there was an app on my iphone called, "Jill's Knowledge", Id be that much more prepared. I think of 99% of things, but Jill always taps into that 1%

A Jill's Knowledge App? I've got to look into that! ;) I'll never forget you making a last minute inquiry about Body Glide before your first marathon, and I told you how great it worked, and you said that was enough for you to use it! Thanks for your kind words.

joel_maxwell

A Jill's Knowledge App? I've got to look into that! ;) I'll never forget you making a last minute inquiry about Body Glide before your first marathon, and I told you how great it worked, and you said that was enough for you to use it! Thanks for your kind words.
And it is still used today. Sam picked it up the other day to apply to her thighs since her riding chaps were rubbing. I quickly yelled, "NO NO NO! That has been in not so flattering places. Get your own stick"

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom