Thoughts on whether Disney will add a 3rd theme park in the US (perhaps Midwest/east coast?)

Quietmouse

Original Poster
I know once upon a time a 3rd theme park was in the works in PA, but that fell thru.

Do you think it would make economic sense, down the road, for a 3rd theme park in the US? Or would that be over saturating the theme park business for Disney and take away customers from visiting California and Orlando?

My general thoughts are a Midwest or even east coast theme park could do very well. And can help Disney make a triangle with coverage the west coast (Disney land), south (Disney world) and Midwest (Kansas City? ) and make a Disney theme park more accessible for millions of Americans.

Florida has cheap flights, at least from Ohio, but those who prefer not to fly have to drive 16-18 hours.

I was thinking a theme park in Kansas City, or if east coast was more preferable, maybe Virginia?

What would be cool if it was a boutique version of Disney land/world. Maybe not as many e tickets, maybe theming isn’t a 10/10, but it gives a slice of the general disney experience without the hefty price tag attached (50/60 dollar tickets perhaps?)

The main competitors in the Midwest market would be Six flags, and ceder fair/point , but again these are all pretty much amusement parks with hardly any dark rides, and very low quality (if any at times ) theming.

So even if it was a downgraded - more budget friendly version of Disney land , I think it would still be a massive success and a lower price tag would mean even low income families could make visiting a Disney theme park more accessible.

Minorities and low income house holds have a very unrealistic chance of ever visiting Disney, especially in these hard times of inflation, so a boutique Disney theme park experience could allow Disney to be accessible to all and not just those who have professional careers and are clearing above 100k as a family.

JMcMahonEsq

I know once upon a time a 3rd theme park was in the works in PA, but that fell thru.

Do you think it would make economic sense, down the road, for a 3rd theme park in the US? Or would that be over saturating the theme park business for Disney and take away customers from visiting California and Orlando?

My general thoughts are a Midwest or even east coast theme park could do very well. And can help Disney make a triangle with coverage the west coast (Disney land), south (Disney world) and Midwest (Kansas City? ) and make a Disney theme park more accessible for millions of Americans.

Florida has cheap flights, at least from Ohio, but those who prefer not to fly have to drive 16-18 hours.

I was thinking a theme park in Kansas City, or if east coast was more preferable, maybe Virginia?

What would be cool if it was a boutique version of Disney land/world. Maybe not as many e tickets, maybe theming isn’t a 10/10, but it gives a slice of the general disney experience without the hefty price tag attached (50/60 dollar tickets perhaps?)

The main competitors in the Midwest market would be Six flags, and ceder fair/point , but again these are all pretty much amusement parks with hardly any dark rides, and very low quality (if any at times ) theming.

So even if it was a downgraded - more budget friendly version of Disney land , I think it would still be a massive success and a lower price tag would mean even low income families could make visiting a Disney theme park more accessible.

Minorities and low income house holds have a very unrealistic chance of ever visiting Disney, especially in these hard times of inflation, so a boutique Disney theme park experience could allow Disney to be accessible to all and not just those who have professional careers and are clearing above 100k as a family.
I would suggest reading “Project Future”, it’s a really amazing book that details a lot of the prehistory of Walt Disney world, and the background on picking the location for the new park, and the legal methods employed to get it built. It goes over a lot of why the areas you suggest were analyzed, and rejected as being viable for a new Disney park. Although true this took place around 55 years ago, most of reasoning still holds true.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
They tried a Disney park in Virginia in the 90s and it was shot down. Plus a Disney park in the northeast would probably be the first one to have a "season" because of the winter months. Thats just gonna cause everyone wanting to go to Disney from November to March/April to flock to the Florida park anyway.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
A Disney park in the northeast would decimate WDW. Maybe in Texas eventually. But not in my lifetime.

Not only that but that same park would be decimated. Nobody's going to want to ride a rollercoaster when it's 20 or 30 degrees outside, and we all know Disney doesnt close for hurricanes that arent direct hits, what would they do for blizzards and nor'easters.

Trueblood

Probably not a theme park, but I could see them trying something else indoors like the old Celebrity Sport Center in Denver again. I went there a handful of times as a kid for the arcades and the pool.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would suggest reading “Project Future”, it’s a really amazing book that details a lot of the prehistory of Walt Disney world, and the background on picking the location for the new park, and the legal methods employed to get it built. It goes over a lot of why the areas you suggest were analyzed, and rejected as being viable for a new Disney park. Although true this took place around 55 years ago, most of reasoning still holds true.
Project future and married to the mouse are the best two Disney parks books

DLR92

It highly unlikely for another amusement/resort complex being build in the US.
Personally I think California could use another Disneyland. But IMO.

wdwfan4ver

I live in Wisconsin, and I can tell you Midwest in general is not a great idea for year round theme park as a result. Midwest in general for winter has a reputation of being cold and having snow.

Don't mention indoor theme park because that would be even more expensive than a normal theme park would be.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Untitled.png

🤣

lewisc

Probably not a theme park, but I could see them trying something else indoors like the old Celebrity Sport Center in Denver again. I went there a handful of times as a kid for the arcades and the pool.
Disney Quest was an attempt to have indoor entertainment in multiple cities. ESPN Zone didn't last either

DisneyHead123

I could see them trying to compete with places like Great Wolf Lodge via expanded DVC offerings throughout the country. Orlando can only support so many DVC units after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom