Things you put up with at Disney races.....

Greenlawler

Original Poster
We all know Disney races are bastions for "non-runners" which sometimes bleeds over to bad behavior from even seasoned runners. So here are some things we "put up with in Disney races".....add, disagree, whatever....Here's big four in no particular order.

1. Walkers in the middle of the track. Oftentimes groups of multiple walkers will spread out to form an offensive line even in narrow course situations.
2. That person who darts in front of you for a picture opportunity
3. Runner pretends like they are looking for someone to move up in the coral pre-race.
4. Pace Groups=Log Jams, I mean seriously this is an issue on the course. You have these pace teams comprised of twenty of more runners who follow their pace leader. The problem is they bunch up and using the Galloway method, they stop often, and suddenly block other runners. Then they dominate the course. The pace leader should be responsible for telling his/her runners to leave room for other runners, but they more than often do not.

regardless still love the Disney races.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We all know Disney races are bastions for "non-runners" which sometimes bleeds over to bad behavior from even seasoned runners. So here are some things we "put up with in Disney races".....add, disagree, whatever....Here's big four in no particular order.

1. Walkers in the middle of the track. Oftentimes groups of multiple walkers will spread out to form an offensive line even in narrow course situations.
2. That person who darts in front of you for a picture opportunity
3. Runner pretends like they are looking for someone to move up in the coral pre-race.
4. Pace Groups=Log Jams, I mean seriously this is an issue on the course. You have these pace teams comprised of twenty of more runners who follow their pace leader. The problem is they bunch up and using the Galloway method, they stop often, and suddenly block other runners. Then they dominate the course. The pace leader should be responsible for telling his/her runners to leave room for other runners, but they more than often do not.

regardless still love the Disney races.

I remember when the announcers would go over race etiquette..

If you're walking, no more than 2 abreast and stay to the right.

If you're passing someone, say "on your left/right" - I've been startled to the point of nearly stumbling when a runner brushed me when running by. Actually had someone push me aside to get by me.

If you're doing the run/walk thing, put you hand up so those behind you know you will suddenly stop...and move over to the right.

And kids. Parents, teach you kids proper race etiquette. I've been nearly tripped by kids weaving through runners at a very fast pace. One boy did it so frequently during a race - guess he was running ahead and then waiting for his family to catch up - I was tempted to stick my foot out.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
A very, very, petite lady turned drastically right in front of me. I had no chance to stop. I am well 6'0 230 pounds. I literally knocked her over but was able to catch her before she hit the pavement. She then acted like it was my fault.....which may or may not have triggered my thread.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I don‘t even think it is a Disney race thing but a lack of respect for others, because I have some of the same complaints and I don’t get to do many Disney races. I don’t know why the races here even bother to have corrals because no one is there to check that you are in the right one. I am a slow runner, and I know it, so I always try to stay to the side but there is always some idiot that either arrived late so started in the last corral or didn’t pay attention or what but there is always that one who will come speeding from behind, weaving between people and nearly knock me or someone else over. I mean, come on, I start in the last corral or put myself in the back of the pack when there aren’t corrals 😡

surfsupdon

I hear these complaints often, but I don’t see them in Corral A. Run-walkers always put their hands up to signal a walk break, even while going through a water stop. People run at most 2 or 3 across. Nobody darts and sidewinds. It’s a very calm, easy place to be. I actually wish people talked with eachother more on course, or sang along to the tunes being played. I’m the weirdo!!!! Haha

Last edited:

RunningKoen

Other races have people running with in general more running experience, race experience and a feeling for the sport. Wrong corrals or wave has no benefit and people know they will congest the course with it. They are more focussed on their on race, staying in track and following a logical path and more regards for etiquettes.

RunDisney had several things during a race that are unique to Disney but create a different vibe. Stopping on course for a photo? Who would do that during a regular stroll down a street? These factors (the regular photo ops and character meets) are a trigger for more selfish actions. The low level acces to the sport runDisney give is great, but also has a risk with people on course with no experience racing. Also: some of them are in such bad shape (barely able to move …) that every bit of bump or crack in the road that can be dangerous.

I love the vibe of runDisney because there is a more enthusiastic setting and running through the parks is truly stunning. But I am way more cautious during a rD race than a regular race.

Yesterday I mentioned to two runners that they should not stop on course at the point where they just excites the castle to stop for a selfie (I was in line next to the castle). These women reacted rude, didn’t see a risk in their behavior and didn’t move.

Vegas Disney Fan

I hear these complaints often, but I don’t see them in Corral A. Run-walkers always put their hands up to signal a walk break, even while going through a water stop. People run at most 2 or 3 across. Nobody darts and sidewinds. It’s a very calm, easy place to be. I actually wish people talked with eachother more on course, or sang along to the tunes being played. I’m the weirdo!!!! Haha
I just wrote a post in the other running thread about the race feeling different based on where you start and this is spot on. In the front you rarely have anyone transition to walking without raising a hand and moving to the right, in the back is much more chaotic, the lack of open space likely doesn’t help. The downside of the front is people are focused on themself and you miss out on some of the party atmosphere. I often notice I’m the only one singing along with the songs and saying hi to / thanking the people cheering us along. Glad I’m not the only weirdo near the front that appreciates a RunDisney race is a Disney race.

I always try to stay to the side but there is always some idiot that either arrived late so started in the last corral or didn’t pay attention or what but there is always that one who will come speeding from behind, weaving between people and nearly knock me or someone else over. I mean, come on, I start in the last corral or put myself in the back of the pack when there aren’t corrals 😡

The character stops result in this also, we often sprint from character stop to character stop. Even when starting in B corral it’s not uncommon for us to be running with the last corral after 3-4 character stops, the stops cause wildly different paces to end up together and it just gets worse as the race goes along.

Weaving around people and finding a place to pass is part of the fun for us, there’s no excuse to be knocking anyone over though, if people are doing that they should be pulled off the course.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
I have been running Disney for a long time.

I have also started from just about every coral, from A to even H back when WDW had a ton. Coral A does not deal with the same things for sure. or they used to not.

But with the way people can buy a better coral, this weekend at DL we were in Coral B and within minutes my wife and I were passing walkers from Coral A in the middle of the street.

Yesterday was the same thing at DL. People walking in the middle of the course, people three and four wide walking, pace groups "blocking". and I was near the front of the race.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have been running Disney for a long time.

I have also started from just about every coral, from A to even H back when WDW had a ton. Coral A does not deal with the same things for sure. or they used to not.

But with the way people can buy a better coral, this weekend at DL we were in Coral B and within minutes my wife and I were passing walkers from Coral A in the middle of the street.

Yesterday was the same thing at DL. People walking in the middle of the course, people three and four wide walking, pace groups "blocking". and I was near the front of the race.

Runners who are members of Club runDisney aren't moved up to Corral A, unless runDisney did things differently for the DLR races. Doesn't a 3rd party handle things such as course certification and POT for runDisney?

If the Galloway pacers are causing congestion on the course, that needs to be addressed by runDisney.

Rteetz

I remember when the announcers would go over race etiquette..

If you're walking, no more than 2 abreast and stay to the right.

If you're passing someone, say "on your left/right" - I've been startled to the point of nearly stumbling when a runner brushed me when running by. Actually had someone push me aside to get by me.

If you're doing the run/walk thing, put you hand up so those behind you know you will suddenly stop...and move over to the right.

And kids. Parents, teach you kids proper race etiquette. I've been nearly tripped by kids weaving through runners at a very fast pace. One boy did it so frequently during a race - guess he was running ahead and then waiting for his family to catch up - I was tempted to stick my foot out.
Announcers did go over this at Marathon Weekend at least. You will always have people who don't abide however.

Rteetz

Runners who are members of Club runDisney aren't moved up to Corral A, unless runDisney did things differently for the DLR races. Doesn't a 3rd party handle things such as course certification and POT for runDisney?

If the Galloway pacers are causing congestion on the course, that needs to be addressed by runDisney.
Platinum Club runDisney gets corral B for half and full races. 5K and 10Ks are solely based on the estimated times entered. Track Shack is in charge of this aspect. At runner relations they have told me point blank they know people lie when it comes to those races. Disney 5Ks are the "worst" when it comes to walkers in early corrals IMO.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Platinum Club runDisney gets corral B for half and full races. 5K and 10Ks are solely based on the estimated times entered. Track Shack is in charge of this aspect. At runner relations they have told me point blank they know people lie when it comes to those races. Disney 5Ks are the "worst" when it comes to walkers in early corrals IMO.

That's not correct. I'm Platinum and I get Corral B for all races I register for. My estimated time to complete a 5K and 10K is the same as before I joined Club runDisney.

Rteetz

That's not correct. I'm Platinum and I get Corral B for all races I register for. My estimated time to complete a 5K and 10K is the same as before I joined Club runDisney.
Apologies, I thought it was just the larger races.

The point about estimated times for those races does remain tho. They do go off those for non-platinum and many people are not honest about that.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Apologies, I thought it was just the larger races.

The point about estimated times for those races does remain tho. They do go off those for non-platinum and many people are not honest about that.

I was surprised that a POT is no longer required for the 10K, just an estimated time. I can remember getting C or D for the 10K and E for the Half.

Frankly, since the races returned in 2021, things have gotten a little lax. Shocked that they no longer verified you completed both races for the 10K & Half challenges...you just walk through the line where they used to check your bib number and someone hands you a medal. No one checks your bib. Guess that's expected since they no longer take your photo with your bib at the Expo if you're doing a challenge. Wonder if that explains walkers in Corral A...you can have someone run a half for you using your bib.

For those who ran the 2 challenges during Marathon weekend, did they take your photo with your bib? If not, I can see lots of cheating. Isn't the Marathon a qualifier for Boston?

Rteetz

I was surprised that a POT is no longer required for the 10K, just an estimated time. I can remember getting C or D for the 10K and E for the Half.

Frankly, since the races returned in 2021, things have gotten a little lax. Shocked that they no longer verified you completed both races for the 10K & Half challenges...you just walk through the line where they used to check your bib number and someone hands you a medal. No one checks your bib. Guess that's expected since they no longer take your photo with your bib at the Expo if you're doing a challenge. Wonder if that explains walkers in Corral A...you can have someone run a half for you using your bib.

For those who ran the 2 challenges during Marathon weekend, did they take your photo with your bib? If not, I can see lots of cheating. Isn't the Marathon a qualifier for Boston?
No, they haven't done photos since pre covid.

Marathon is a qualifier yes. Cheating happened even with photos tho. Not something that's new or will stop unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom