Theming

MicBat

Original Poster
I just thought I'd share something I read in a book I am reading for sociology. The book refers to a term called "Disneyization" to describe trends found, first, in Disney's theme parks now found in other places.

"...Theming accomplished at least 2 things in this connection. First, it established coherence to the various rides and attractions in Disneyland and the environments in which they were located. Second, in the design of rides and attractions, the accent was placed on their theming rather than on the thrill factor, which was the emphasis in traditional amusement parks..."

prberk

I have also seen "Disneyization" used as a term by which movies or stories are stylized, such as when the animated fairy tales are made less gruesome than the originals to become a Disney animated feature.

But I also have seen academic books like yours that attribute many social changes, including modern malls, to the designs and environments originally created for Disneyland (i.e., theming and closing out the real world). Disney has had an impact on many areas of our society that people do not readily see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom