Theme Park Hauntings

Sublyme

Original Poster
Recently I’ve visited a few notable “haunted houses”, the Whaley House in Old Town San Diego, and the Winchester Mystery House up in San Jose. Both were certainly creepy, but that’s not what this thread is about - this is just context for my state of mind.

My family and I attend Knott’s fairly often, along with (obviously) Disneyland. But this past Sunday, we decided to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a few drinks at the Calico Saloon instead of Trader Sam’s.

Now I know what you’re thinking - “Knotts, Ghost Town, he’s just referring to the history of that.” But actually, it wasn’t until we were leaving the park that I decided to pop into something I’ve always wanted to see, the replica of Independence Hall, just outside of the parking lot.

My family and I looked around a bit, checking out historical items, the chamber where the declaration was signed and what not, and browsed about. It’s actually pretty neat, and considering it’s free, should be on any visitor or resident’s list. After a few minutes, the man working the counter stepped out to start telling us bits of trivia and facts about our founding fathers, many of which I did not know.

After some interesting faire, and with ghosts in the back of my brain, I decided to ask if there were any hauntings at Independence Hall. I was expecting to be shrugged off, but instead, the man told me about two occurrences:

-Sometimes at 4PM when Independence Hall is due to close for the day, the Liberty Bell rings. Many times he’s the only person there at that time (Independence Hall is no longer the draw it once was.) One of the times that it rang, he bolted around the corner to find...nothing.

-Reports have been given of folks bumping into Walter Knott and having conversations with him. That’s not unusual, as the exact replica of Independence Hall was one of his biggest passions. Except, the meetings were all reported after Walter Knott had already been dead for years.

Of course, this is a Disney forum, so I’m interested in hearing of your Disneyland Hauntings and anecdotes. But given we’re in SoCal, I think Knotts is fair game.

Got any good stories?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom