Theme Park Burnout?

noname70

Original Poster
HELP-as unfathomable to some as it may sound, I believe a true Disney fan can reach theme park burnout. Over the past three years we have been fortunate enought to visit WDW and DL on an average of 2-3 times per year. On our last trip I began to feel like the rides were losing that special feeling. I didn't dare bring it up to my wife BUT after we returned home she broached the same subject with me.
I had a friend tell me his family went annually however, they reached a saturation point and now don't go at all. I can't let this happen! I'm already getting my yearly itch to go but I'm afraid of losing the "magic".
Has this happened to anyone?
Do we have any solutions or tips?

Woody13

Originally posted by noname70
HELP-as unfathomable to some as it may sound, I believe a true Disney fan can reach theme park burnout. Over the past three years we have been fortunate enought to visit WDW and DL on an average of 2-3 times per year. On our last trip I began to feel like the rides were losing that special feeling. I didn't dare bring it up to my wife BUT after we returned home she broached the same subject with me.
I had a friend tell me his family went annually however, they reached a saturation point and now don't go at all. I can't let this happen! I'm already getting my yearly itch to go but I'm afraid of losing the "magic".

Buy a membership in the DVC and then you'll feel obligated (read happy) to go for the next 40 years.

CTXRover

I've been fortunate enough to visit WDW at least once and usually twice a year for almost 8 years now and I have yet to have the magic wear off. It can be different for different people, but that's just how I feel. One thing that helps preserve the magic is doing different things. Some trips we will do the killer marathon and try to see and do all the attractions and shows at the parks. Other times, we will spend the days swimming at the hotel (well, in our case, Fort Wilderness campgrounds) or at one of the water parks. Then eat a nice dinner at one of Epcot's restaurants and "eat around the world" for a week. We will do the other non-park things like Disneyquest, rent watersprites, miniature golf, play a game of 'real' golf, catch a game or training camp at WWOS, spend a night at the boardwalk, horseback ride, take a canoe out, spend a day or night shopping along all of Downtown Disney, etc. Other times we will mix these two, more often than not. This keeps the magic alive each time we come and each time we leave, we're planning our return trip :) I can't get enough of my favorite Disney rides and am upset when I don't do one on a trip. For instance, I didn't get a chance to see The American Adventure or Fantasmic! in August, but you can bet I'll be seeing them in December ;) I agree that you can become burnt out if you do every attraction every trip, but if you space things out and just relax and let yourself soak up the magic, it won't wear thin.

Lilo

Boy, I thought I was the only one that felt that way. My friend, WannabeBelle doesn't, but after 4 trips in a row (2 in one year) I felt I needed a change. I went over to Universal and had a good time. Maybe I'll be up for more Disney after seeing their competition and being away for a while. Oh by the way, we're going back to Universal again in 2004 so I can get my saturation point there as well.:lol:

X2CommNavISTC

Account Suspended
Ive never expeirenced this "Disney park burnout" before and this is coming from me.

Someone who is there every other day. Oh well, I guess certain people never get tired of it, some do.

This year definatly wont be a burn out because Im going to all the parties this year. Im not worried about the crowds for NYE, because Ive already got arrangements made over at EPCOT for that night.

General Grizz

Nothing here so far...

Boy...that would be a horrible thing.

I would bring different people to different trips...that might preserve a lot for you. Perhaps intentionally skip attractions and wait a while before you see them again? :confused:

Perhaps by a theme park CD and listen to sounds from attractions you've never seen before. Listen to it quite a bit...and wait a while before you see the show.

This has happened to me, and it's always brought tears when I finally get to see the show.

disneyfamily

Living in Florida and being so close to WDW, we go about 15 to 20 times a year. I have had burn out before. You kind of get in a rut. You start to develope predictable patterns, do the same things time after time. One thing we did is to force ourselves to do at least one thing we've never done before. Also by mixing up our habits, or routes. Eating at a restaraunt that you have never eaten at helps. There is so much to the resort than just the parks, it really is another world.

Scooter

While I believe it is possible to get Theme Park Burn out, fortunately, it hasn't happened to me yet. It almost did though.

When I was going twice a year I did start noticing that I was finding myself not just enjoying the attractions, but also Judging them. I found myself saying things like " I liked the OLD ride better...and I don't remember that ride being this boring."

I noticed chipped paint and burned out lightbulbs...things I never noticed before...then it hit me...Being at the Theme Park was becoming old and mundane to me.

I took a year and a half off. Thats about as long as I can go w/o my Disney fix.:lol:

When I went back to the Parks I went back with a differant attitude. This time I didn't judge anything. Instead I watched the eyes of the children. I rode every attraction like it was my first time. I slowed down and noticed all the details..the flowers, the smells, the sounds, the laughter, the looks on the childrens faces...
...and ya know what happened?

The Magic all came back!:)

I know this all sounds sappy, but I think if you just let yourself go, let that inner child inside of you out, and just ENJOY the parks and attractions for what they are, and not critique everything, you'll find that you'll never get tired of Disney World.:animwink:

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I needed to solve this exact problem. I loved to go at the drop of a hat, but I need to convince the wife to go every year.

Solution...tours. It was that simple. We do the tours now. Add a few new ones each year, re-do the once we love. They really change the whole trip, you nevr know exactly what going to happen, and it gives you something totally new to do.

They really are fun, and you can make your whole vacation a touring type if you wish. We're doing four this year on a seven day stay.

In years past we even did tours at the other parks (Universal, Sea World, Discovery Cove). They make those places better as well.

They really do take something you've "been there, done that", and make it seem all bran new like you've never been there ever.

My problem now is that I've done this for 3 years now, and were almost out of new tours. :zipit: Not sure what I'm gonna do next year. Maybe we'll take a trip to New Zealand instaed. :lol:

tigsmom

No burnout for me, but my DH is starting to feel it. We did the FairyTale Plan this year...we had never stayed more than 3 nights. We were able to do some new things, but at the end of the week I was Disneyed out. That was in August and I'm ready to go back. We still have not seen everything or have done all we wanted (restaurants, etc). We are Heading to Florida for Easter, but it looks like WDW is not going to be in our plans. We will head to Tampa and take in a ball game and maybe Busch Gardens.

kennyj29

Burnout

I remember once when my kids were younger (my son was about 12) so I guess it was 10 years ago he said he was tired of Disney, and we all agreed. We decided not to Disney for a long time. Well in stead, it ends up we are doing it now more than ever. My two kids (27 & 22) and my DH and myself all go together and since they are now adults we have more fun now then we ever did. We also tried a tour, try new restaurants, go hotel hopping, play miniature golf, saw Cirque, etc, etc. We absolutely love going there and we never, ever tire of it. We go once a year now instead of every other year, sometimes twice a year if we're lucky. This year we are going for a week at the Poly and then a week on the Disney Magic. We;ve been on the Wonder but we thought we would try a week cruise to the Western Caribbean. We are so looking forward to it. Everytime we go we now do something different, we are already in the stages of thinking of new things to do next year. New Disney Hotel to try, new place to eat, and maybe another tour. We love it!!!

Tower/of/Terror

Account Suspended
I can almost agree on this.. I was at the Magic Kingdom this summer with my sister. We rode all the rides that we did as little kids and all the other stuff. But, it just seemed that it lacked the "magic" it used to. Maybe it's just me. But also, this was the only park I felt that with. Then again, it's prolly getting all it's magic back with the opening of Philarhmagic and Wishes! :sohappy:

TURKEY

After working there and then visiting several times since my CP, I've gotten burned out somewhat.

Going at Christmas helped the burnout feeling.

A big thing is not rushing around and getting caught up in the crowds. Take your time and relax.

I love just walking around at AK because it relaxes me.

mickey04

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Perhaps by a theme park CD and listen to sounds from attractions you've never seen before. Listen to it quite a bit...and wait a while before you see the show.

This has happened to me, and it's always brought tears when I finally get to see the show.

This happened to me with the American Adventure (you know, the last song, "Golden Dreams."

I go about once a year (hopefully twice this year!:sohappy: ) And no burn out yet. I guess its just different for everyone.

noname70

Original Poster
I try to do different things each time I go. However, once I pass through the gates I get into Commando Mode and start rushing around trying to squeeze in everything-it's like a quest for me. I'm sure many of you can appreciate this. Maybe slowing down is the answer...

stkhill@mac.com

It gives our kids a break to board transportation and switch parks late in the day--this year our theme is Epcot every evening--no dinners without alcohol!

billybaruch1

Originally posted by stkhill@mac.com
It gives our kids a break to board transportation and switch parks late in the day--this year our theme is Epcot every evening--no dinners without alcohol!

Excellent! We never get Theme Park Burnout as long as we get high on wine, beer, and whiskey. This may get old, however. "No dinners without alcohol!" is only for the confirmed boozers. I suggest taking a break, maybe every other day. :p :lol: :lol:

stkhill@mac.com

Yes, of course we don't just booze it up all week--the atmosphere in World Showcase, the leisurely pace of an evening walk (without being ushered out of the way for a parade!), CAN be a natural high--a beer now and then just helps--no whiskey!:wave:

JEDI1138

Originally posted by noname70

I have a simple solution the theme park blues. Plan a trip to come with someone who has never been. A close friend, relative, or another couple that you are compatable with. Showing off the Magic is a lot of fun.

BitO'PixieDust

As the kids have gotten older, we hit a period that we just weren't as interested in a Disney vacation as we used to be. Perhaps it was just going and remembering how things "used to be" with little kids. It was so great watching them.

We got back into the Disney groove and now have a 2 year old granddaughter to take. We were all at WDW in July and had a great time.

Also, as others have mentioned it's about finding different pleasures at WDW. Trying new experiences have helped us a lot. My husband and I also took a photography class in the spring and now when we go I see WDW through the camera and have brought back some fantastic pictures to enjoy.

We are enjoying sitting down and relaxing and letting the Magic roll over us instead of dashing for ride after ride.

It's definitely different as we get older but we're finding new ways to enjoy WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom