The United Devices* Cancer Research Program

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
http://www.intel.com/cure/united.htm

Millions of people worldwide are affected by cancer, diabetes and other diseases. You don't have to be a scientist to help find a cure.

The Intel® Philanthropic Peer-to-Peer Program combats life-threatening illnesses by linking millions of PCs like yours into one of the most powerful computing resources in the world. This "virtual supercomputer" uses peer-to-peer technology to make unprecedented amounts of processing power available to medical researchers, thus accelerating the development of treatments and drugs with the potential to cure diseases.

You can take part in this ground-breaking Internet-based project by lending your PC's unused resources to the greater good. There's no cost to download and run the program, and no noticeable impact on your computer's performance, because the medical research programs take advantage only of processing power you're not using.

The United Devices* Cancer Research Program

The United Devices* cancer research program was developed to aid the search for new drugs to treat leukemia and other cancers. United Devices Inc.* developed this program in conjunction with the National Foundation for Cancer Research (NFCR)* and the University of Oxford*.

As a first step to finding new drugs and a potential cure for leukemia-the No. 1 cause of childhood death by disease-and other cancers, researchers must evaluate the cancer-fighting potential of hundreds of millions of molecules. NFCR scientists estimate that this task will require many millions of hours of number-crunching, which was previously unimaginable. Linking computers like yours to this project will help accelerate biological computation and produce faster results. Depending on the results of this program, the time required to develop a new treatment and drugs could be cut from twelve years to as little as five years.

This particular drug optimization program is evaluating 12 proteins. One of these 12 proteins has been identified as critical to the growth of leukemia; shutting it down might mean finding a cure for leukemia. The other 11 proteins in the simulation are very important to the growth of leukemia, and they have implications for the growth of other cancers as well. Stopping one of these proteins will likely reduce the growth of leukemia and have benefits for other cancers, too.

Join the Effort Here http://www.intel.com/cure/united.htm

NowInc

Ive been part of this for a while now ;) (why do you think im online so much?)

It is more "helpfull" then the one that people use to track alien life in space...at least this one is for a GOOD cause...I suggest everyone sign up...i have 5 computers here working with this almost 24/7....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Good work Now :sohappy:
It's a much better use of screensaver time to be helping with scientific research, than having the Microsoft Flag flying around ;)

cobra1562

I too have been a part of this for quite some time. It is a very worthwhile use of spare computing cycles. During the whole post 9-11 anthrax scare, they sponsored an anthrax research project. They accomplished in a few weeks what would have taken several years to accomplish in a typical lab setting.

I think everyone should be doing this!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by cobra1562
During the whole post 9-11 anthrax scare, they sponsored an anthrax research project. They accomplished in a few weeks what would have taken several years to accomplish in a typical lab setting.

I think everyone should be doing this!

Here is a report about that project, and what it achieved! :)

United Devices Anthrax Research Project Results
In just 24 days, 3.57 billion molecules were scanned against one of the protein components that contributes to the anthrax bacteria's lethal processes. Of those molecules, 376,064 molecules were found to be potential candidates for development into new anti-anthrax drugs, with 12,000 looking very promising.

In a ceremony in Washington DC on March 8, 2002, Oxford University researchers gave the US and British government two compact disks containing the identity of those molecules.

Dr. Anna Johnson-Winnegar, deputy assistant defense secretary for chemical and biological defense, said the information would be shared with the National Institutes of Health. "The Department of Defense is very happy to accept this contribution and looks forward to enabling technology advances through molecular design studies based on the structures of the compounds that have been identified," said Johnson-Winegar.

Dr. Graham Richards, the lead research on the Oxford University research team, indicated that he believes this process which took 24 days could reduce drug development time from the typical 10 years to as little as 2 to 6 years.

Quick Facts

5,436 Compute Years were consumed (47,621,948 hours).
During this project, enough computers joined to calculated more than 60 trillion floating point operations every second (60 teraflops).
If the fastest 20 supercomputers in the world were all used at the same time to run these calculations, it would take almost twice as long to get these results.*

cobra1562

Nope, you don't have to be online 24/7. You just leave your computer on with the UD Agent running and it crunches away. The next time you connect to the internet, it sends the results and gets more data for your computer to crunch.

I am on dialup and it works just fine.

Jason

disney2b

can someone give the link, its redirects u and i cant seem to find it. thanks
i wanted to do it for a while, but i couldnt on my parents computer, so i finally have my own.

WeirdOne

Steve, I joined this program today and am proud to be the second member on your team! I hope you don't mind. - The WeirdOne :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by WeirdOne
Steve, I joined this program today and am proud to be the second member on your team! I hope you don't mind. - The WeirdOne :D

That is great, thanks!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: You just doubled the size of the WDWMAGIC team :D

Al

Just out of interest, has this program discovered anything major? Or has their been a breakthrough because of it?

Just wondered :)

guwag

I've just joined too Steve :) I've have the software running for quite some time but didn't know about the WDWMagic group before :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom