The Splash Mountain Song...What is it?

M0U53_L0V3R

Original Poster
Whats the name of the "It's time to be moving along" song that they play on Splash mountain...looking through the 5-disk Disney Classics collection, the only songs from Song of the South are Song of the South, Zippideedoodah, and The Laughin' Place...does anyone know what song it is??? :veryconfu

General Grizz

The song is called "How do you Do?"

These are the lyrics from the film the attraction was based off of, Song of the South:

How Do You Do?
Words and Music by Robert MacGimsey
Performed by James Baskett & Johnny Lee
(and other uncredited characters)
© 1944 Walt Disney Music Company

How do you do? Fine! A friendly greetin'.
How do you do? Say it when you're meetin'.
How do you do? With everyone repeatin':
Pretty good, sure as you're born.

What goes up is sure to come down,
Penny lost is a penny found,
I'll "howdy" you, you'll "howdy" back,
This for that an' tit for tat.

Chorus: How do you do?
Fine, how are you?
How you come on?

Uncle Remus:
Stop jumpin', Br'er Rabbit,
you'll run out of breath.
Why don't you sit down an' calm yourself?

Brer Rabbit:
Well the grasshopper jump,
and so do the flea.
I do what I like, and I suits me!

[Repeat Chorus]

Uncle Remus:
The weather's good, the fishin's fine.
Now what do you do with all your time?

Brer Rabbit:
Oh, I zigs and I zags, I to's and I fro's.
That's what you're askin'
and that's what you knows.

[Repeat Chorus]

Brer Frog:
Mind now, Br'er Rabbit, better mend your ways.
You's headin' for trouble one of these days.

Uncle Remus:
Warnin' that rabbit is wastin' your breath!

Brer Rabbit:
Don't worry about me;
I can take care of myself!

----------

In the film, this takes place on the second of three animated sequences. Brer Rabbit is hopping along a road and singing "How do You Do?" Brer Frog and Uncle Remus join in, Remus interested in Brer Rabbit's lifestyle and Brer Frog concerned about what Brer Rabbit's doing living a dangerous lifestyle. It sets up to the point where Brer Rabbit asks a Tar Baby (set up by those sly Brer Fox and Brer Brer) "How do you do?" and the tar, of course, doesn't respond. Brer Rabbit starts to beat it up and ultimately gets trapped. (He gets out by being thrown in the briar patch, just like in the attraction).

In the attraction, Brer Rabbit, along with a few other birds outside, are first heard hearing the song. Then, geese and frogs are the first characters to sing "How do you Do?" inside the show building, setting up a friendly atmosphere of Southern courtesy. Next is Mr. Bluebird, who takes the role of Uncle Remus in this case, asking Brer Rabbit, "Now what do you do with all of your time?" And in case of the ride, the lyrics were changed for Brer Rabbit who now sings about leaving home (actually the first of the three segments of the cartoon of Song of the South). Mr. Porcupine (originally a character from America Sings at Disneyland) takes the role of Brer Frog as the warner: "He's heading for trouble one of these days!"

Still, Brer Frog takes the role of Remus for most of the attraction as the storyteller.

Photos:

how-ad.jpg

how-inset.jpg

Here is a link to the original sheet music:

http://www.songofthesouth.net/memorabilia/sheetmusic/us/how.html

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
M0U53_L0V3R said:
Whats the name of the "It's time to be moving along" song that they play on Splash mountain...looking through the 5-disk Disney Classics collection, the only songs from Song of the South are Song of the South, Zippideedoodah, and The Laughin' Place...does anyone know what song it is??? :veryconfu
Wow I was seriously going to make a topic on this! I have always loved this song and I never knew what it was called or where to find it. Well I found it today on "an infamous mp3 downloading place :animwink: :animwink: " and I can't stop listening to it. It's called "Splash Mountain Medley" and it has all three songs together like on the ride. If you want the song just IM me on AOL. My SN is JesusJuice83.

StevenT

JesusJuice said:
I heard Disney won't release it because it could be viewed as racsist. I have never seen it so I wouldn't know.

Yeah that's pretty much it. You can only get it if you own a copy from long ago or there are DivX copies out there, you just have to know where to look.

It's a shame they don't release it because it is not racist in any way, it jus t portrays life in the south in the post civil war era. Plus it's a Walt Disney film, I think Eisner should pay some respect to the man who started it all and release all of his films on DVD, not just some.

*Steps off the soap box*
I have that splash mountain medley, It's pretty cool. You can also find it on #Disney-Central IRC.

KevinPage

I don't think the film is racist, but people say that the black slaves seem too "happy" and "content" with there situation.

I have the film on tape and never even thought of that myself. I think alot of this has taken on a life of it's own. So it's at the point that it has been discussed so much, that IF Disney did release it, people would be all over them. :D

yensidtlaw1969

Why don't they release it temprarily so some people can get it and if there are no complaints they can make more. If there are complaints, it can go back in the vault and not make it anymore.

awallaceunc

There's a lot of buzz (some of it legitimate) that Song of the South may be being considered for a Disney DVD release in the future, most likely as part of the Walt Disney Treasures line. Of course, this isn't official or confirmed or anything like that... more like a rumor founded on some decent info and observations. Who knows, it may not happen, but I think it's more likely now than it has been in a long time.

-Aaron

StevenT

awallaceunc said:
There's a lot of buzz (some of it legitimate) that Song of the South may be being considered for a Disney DVD release in the future, most likely as part of the Walt Disney Treasures line. Of course, this isn't official or confirmed or anything like that... more like a rumor founded on some decent info and observations. Who knows, it may not happen, but I think it's more likely now than it has been in a long time.

-Aaron

That's good to hear. Think about it, a good amount of people who ride Splash Mountain are probably vaguely familiar with the characters, but since it is so difficult to find access to this film a lot of people haven't seen the movie. The younger children that ride Splash Mountain need to have the background behind the ride. The ride makes much more sense after you've seen Song of the South. Wouldn't Splash be the only ride at Disney based on a Disney movie that you can't find anywhere?

General Grizz

This film is NOT racist.

Sure, Uncle Remus is happy recounting the tales of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox, but Uncle Remus is also one of the best Disney characters.

Ever.

tbell

General Grizz said:
The song is called "How do you Do?"

These are the lyrics from the film the attraction was based off of, Song of the South:

How Do You Do?
Words and Music by Robert MacGimsey
Performed by James Baskett & Johnny Lee
(and other uncredited characters)
© 1944 Walt Disney Music Company

How do you do? Fine! A friendly greetin'.
How do you do? Say it when you're meetin'.
How do you do? With everyone repeatin':

What goes up is sure to come down,
Penny lost is a penny found,
I'll "howdy" you, you'll "howdy" back,
This for that an' tit for tat.

Chorus: How do you do?
Fine, how are you?
How you come on?

Uncle Remus:
Stop jumpin', Br'er Rabbit,
you'll run out of breath.
Why don't you sit down an' calm yourself?

Brer Rabbit:
Well the grasshopper jump,
and so do the flea.
I do what I like, and I suits me!

[Repeat Chorus]

Uncle Remus:
The weather's good, the fishin's fine.
Now what do you do with all your time?

Brer Rabbit:
Oh, I zigs and I zags, I to's and I fro's.
That's what you're askin'
and that's what you knows.

[Repeat Chorus]

Brer Frog:
Mind now, Br'er Rabbit, better mend your ways.
You's headin' for trouble one of these days.

Uncle Remus:
Warnin' that rabbit is wastin' your breath!

Brer Rabbit:
Don't worry about me;
I can take care of myself!

----------

In the film, this takes place on the second of three animated sequences. Brer Rabbit is hopping along a road and singing "How do You Do?" Brer Frog and Uncle Remus join in, Remus interested in Brer Rabbit's lifestyle and Brer Frog concerned about what Brer Rabbit's doing living a dangerous lifestyle. It sets up to the point where Brer Rabbit asks a Tar Baby (set up by those sly Brer Fox and Brer Brer) "How do you do?" and the tar, of course, doesn't respond. Brer Rabbit starts to beat it up and ultimately gets trapped. (He gets out by being thrown in the briar patch, just like in the attraction).

In the attraction, Brer Rabbit, along with a few other birds outside, are first heard hearing the song. Then, geese and frogs are the first characters to sing "How do you Do?" inside the show building, setting up a friendly atmosphere of Southern courtesy. Next is Mr. Bluebird, who takes the role of Uncle Remus in this case, asking Brer Rabbit, "Now what do you do with all of your time?" And in case of the ride, the lyrics were changed for Brer Rabbit who now sings about leaving home (actually the first of the three segments of the cartoon of Song of the South). Mr. Porcupine (originally a character from America Sings at Disneyland) takes the role of Brer Frog as the warner: "He's heading for trouble one of these days!"

Still, Brer Frog takes the role of Remus for most of the attraction as the storyteller.

Photos:

how-ad.jpg

how-inset.jpg

Here is a link to the original sheet music:

http://www.songofthesouth.net/memorabilia/sheetmusic/us/how.html

oh my gosh!! thanks so much for posting those lyrics!! i never knew exactly what they were, i just know that tune runs through my mind after i ride that ride!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom