The Seas w/Nemo question

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
How are Nemo & Friends projected onto the aquarium? I think I know the technology but Im not sure. Is it using OLED's or something else?

It is just a newer version of peppers ghost as used in the Haunted Mansion. Using LCD projectors and reflective screen material in conjunction with the aquarium tank.

Robfasto

When you are in the viewing area above the ride you can see all the extra framework that has been added to the tank....

raven

It is just a newer version of peppers ghost as used in the Haunted Mansion. Using LCD projectors and reflective screen material in conjunction with the aquarium tank.

This is the case with most of the windows you see except the last window with the starfish in it. That one is not the same effects as the Pepper's Ghost. I know that effect well but there is no sign of a projector sorce on that last one.

darthjohnny

But the whole thing about Pepper's ghost is that there is no projection or holograms. It is pure light and reflection. So how could the Nemo fish be Pepper's Ghost?

icandrawem2

Very simple. The characters are projected on a surface behind and above the clamshells. That image is reflected off the glass to the viewer. However far away the screen is from the glass is how far the fish is "into" the tank. This is essentially what peppers ghost is. The starfish is a bit different. If i had to guess, I would say that there is a projection surface on the inside of the tank glass that is the same shape as the starfish and that they just use front projection to make him look like hes stuck to the glass.

icandrawem2

Unfortunately ive never been to disneyland, but if you can see the animated characters out of the sub windows, then its probably achieved in a similar way.

EpcotServo

Is this the same way the fish swim in the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage @ Disneyland?
No, but close. The projection tech is the same, but you're seeing the screens themselves (like the begining of The Seas) that are set in large scenes that were built in huge "Dry Boxes". So in simpler terms, you're looking through water and a large sheet of glass into a dry set with screens.

Imagineering is sneeky sometimes!
:lol:

bingie

During the take scenes, take a look above your vehicle. Above you is a black material similiar to a broom blocking the view of LCD screens. The screens reflect off the glass of the tank, and it appears the fish are IN the tank.

If you look at the same part of the tank from the viewing area (and you can almost see it on the ride) you will see large sheets of glass in the tank. These are in place to prevent the other real fish from swimming "through" nemo :animwink:

Phonedave

If you look at the same part of the tank from the viewing area (and you can almost see it on the ride) you will see large sheets of glass in the tank. These are in place to prevent the other real fish from swimming "through" nemo :animwink:

Ah, I never noticed that.

I knew how they did the reflected projection. I was hoping to see a real fish swim though Nemo. Now I know all my hoping is in vain :) Sneaky Imagineers ;)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom