The Santa Monica Ride That Beats Any Flat Ride at DCA

Rich T

Original Poster
Seriously, this thing's a work of Tilt-a-Whirl theming genius. How could Disney have let this idea get away as a perfect ride for the Pier?

I mean... it would even have fit the new Pixar theme! :D

Darkbeer1

I am a fan of Pacific Park. The Roller Coaster and Ferris Wheel are great, as is the nearby Carrousel. Also the Arcade always gets a few bucks out of my wallet.

A company I worked for had its corporate office in Santa Monica, so always tried to stop at POP (Former nickname).

Darkbeer1

Yes, I vividly remember riding the Knott’s version maybe five times in a row because there was no line.

I’ve never heard of, nor been to Castle Park.🤔

I have a strong attachment to Castle Park, as that became Bud Hurlbut's park, after years of working for others, including Knott's Berry Farm.

>“In my estimation, he was an extremely important theme park visionary who almost invented the first real dark rides,” said keynote speaker Garner Holt, whose Inland company Garner Holt Productions creates animatronic figures for theme parks.

Hurlbut is best known for his work with Knott’s Berry Farm, where he created the Calico Mine Ride, followed by the Timber Mountain Log Ride.

“In 1960, when the mine ride opened, there wasn’t anything like that that was immersive environment. Maybe back in the ‘50s they had those love tunnels and those kind of things, but never anything like that, where it literally immersed you in something that seemed like the real deal,” Holt said.

“When you do something like that and Walt Disney comes out to see it thinking about what he’s going to put in his park, that’s pretty special.”<<

I am lucky enough to have a framed Aerial Photo of Castle Park from 1976 that came from Bud's working office.

Rich T

Original Poster
I have a strong attachment to Castle Park, as that became Bud Hurlbut's park, after years of working for others, including Knott's Berry Farm.

Hurlbut is best known for his work with Knott’s Berry Farm, where he created the Calico Mine Ride, followed by the Timber Mountain Log Ride.

“In 1960, when the mine ride opened, there wasn’t anything like that that was immersive environment. Maybe back in the ‘50s they had those love tunnels and those kind of things, but never anything like that, where it literally immersed you in something that seemed like the real deal,” Holt said.

“When you do something like that and Walt Disney comes out to see it thinking about what he’s going to put in his park, that’s pretty special.”<<

I am lucky enough to have a framed Aerial Photo of Castle Park from 1976 that came from Bud's working office.

I really want to visit Castle Park on my next trip; mostly to see the Antique Auto ride from Knott's Berry Farm again (even if it's got a different layout now.) That was one of my all-time favorite childhood Knott's rides. :)

Stevek

I really want to visit Castle Park on my next trip; mostly to see the Antique Auto ride from Knott's Berry Farm again (even if it's got a different layout now.) That was one of my all-time favorite childhood Knott's rides. :)
We live in Corona, have been to the park a few times over the years...pretty much a garbage heap at this point. Many of the rides don't even work. They've had a coaster, with cars that spin ala Primeaval Whirl, that hasn't worked much since the day it opened...like a decade ago. Sadly, it's as shell of what it could have been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom