The Resort Area is insane... Second Largest Convention in Anaheim is this weekend 3/9-3/11

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Just got off the phone with my ed off wife...She wanted to know why I didn't warn her of the mess she was stuck in.

Well, it is the "Natural Products Expo West" convention, with over 80,000 attendees.

https://www.expowest.com/ew18/Public/Enter.aspx

So if you go to a shop or restaurant this weekend in the area, you might find a shortage of Soy Milk, and parking. They are parking at the Honda Center right now.....

Stevek

I dropped a co-worker off there Thursday, it was nuts. The saving grace may be the rain on Saturday keeping folks closer to their hotels versus DTD.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Which one?

The Resort areas and Platinum Triangle areas are bad, Katella, Harbor and Ball....

Now, if you can find a way to get west of the Resort, the Brookhurst and Orange location isn't bad. (Closest to my house).

Also the one in Harbor in Fullerton should be OK if you can get north of Ball.

Good luck, enjoy your Double Double.

TP2000

This is actually going to be a real problem in 2019 and beyond. Once Star Wars Land opens and Disneyland attendance bumps up even higher than it's current 27+ Million per year, the massive Anaheim Convention Center will be dueling Disneyland with huge crowds.

The Anaheim Convention Center's big expansion was completed a couple months ago. It already was the largest and busiest convention center on the West Coast, but now with the big expansion done it has cemented its place as Top Dog for years and years to come, if not decades. And because it's the biggest, Anaheim gets the biggest conventions on the West Coast, with the lone exception of ComicCon which is still being held in San Diego every July (for now).

From smallest to largest on the West Coast, here's how the big city convention centers stack up now.

Washington State Convention Center (Downtown Seattle) = 305,000 square feet
San Jose Convention Center = 638,000 square feet
Los Angeles Convention Center = 720,000 square feet
San Diego Convention Center = 738,000 square feet
Moscone Center (Downtown San Francisco) = 956,000 square feet
Oregon Convention Center (Downtown Portland) = 1 Million square feet
Anaheim Convention Center = 1.6 Million square feet

Having such a huge convention center drawing millions per year, often over hugely busy convention weekends, will be quite a logistical headache to manage effectively with Disneyland when it opens Star Wars Land. This could get really interesting.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
And many think San Diego Comic-Con days are numbered, especially since the voters have no appetite to spend on the center expansion. Anaheim has been courting Comic-Con for years, and it has its deal with Disney back in the 1990's to allow tourists to pay for the expansion looking better every day.

Phroobar

If you can tear yourself away from the masses at DLR this weekend, the Museum of Pinball in Banning is hosting Arcade Expo 4.0 this weekend. Over 1100 pinball and arcade machines all on free play all weekend long. There is going to be a Donkey Kong high score contest.

http://www.arcadeexpo.com/

image0a.jpg

Just got off the phone with my ****ed off wife...She wanted to know why I didn't warn her of the mess she was stuck in.

Well, it is the "Natural Products Expo West" convention, with over 80,000 attendees.

https://www.expowest.com/ew18/Public/Enter.aspx

So if you go to a shop or restaurant this weekend in the area, you might find a shortage of Soy Milk, and parking. They are parking at the Honda Center right now.....

Took me almost two hours to get in the park...from Tustin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom