The Quest on ABC

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
I didn't find a thread for this so here I am! I have just become obsessed with The Quest series through Netflix (I've already watched it twice)! Apparently the show premiered last summer (2014) and gained a cult following despite minimal promotion. It's a love project of the producers of Lord of the Rings and The Amazing Race. Currently, The Quest Army (fan community) is lobbying ABC to renew the series for a second season!

For those who are unfamiliar, the fantasy-reality hybrid plays out like an elaborate fantasy-based Live-Action Role-playing Game (LARPG), immersing 12 fantasy-fan contestants (Paladins) in the mystical kingdom of Everealm to demonstrate their inner strengths in a series of challenges to become the One True Hero who will defeat Verlox and save the kingdom.

These challenges are fierce and highly themed; the show strikes me as Disney-esque. The Paladins interact with the creatures of this fantasy realm. Character integrity is never broken. Technology is used to generate magical observances. Although the format of the show is a series of elimination (banishment) challenges, the tone is one of supporting each other in finding the hero within rather than sleazy drama. The magic and theming are eerily incredible, allowing the Paladins to suspend disbelief, and along with the challenges (which relate to the larger aim of saving the kingdom of Saenctum and the rest of Everealm from Verlox), convey a larger message about what being a hero means. If that's not the epitome of the Disney brand, I don't know what other show is!

I thought if this show sucked me in for these reasons, it must have gotten to other Disney fans as well! The show has certainly inspired me to live as a hero, and I think its accessibility and universality makes every viewer want to be on the show. I, along with other members of "The Quest Army" are desperately craving a Season 2, which is still in limbo. In the meantime, I've joined the petition to renew the series and immersed myself in post-series interviews with the cast and crew in Google Hangouts.

The strange thing is that I typically don't even like to watch television, which seems to be common theme among fans. Has anyone else fallen under its spell?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom