The Perfect Universal Orlando Expansion

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
I know this isn't Disney-focused, but the Universal discussion forum isn't really the appropriate place to armchair Imagineer, even if it's for a non-Disney park. Now Comcast seems to be shooting to perfect their parks... so I'd like to perhaps see where the rest of the money could go.

Let's say $5 billion over the next 15 years (IOA's 30th anniversary and almost USF's 40th)

$1.25 billion for USF
$2 billion for IOA
$2 billion for misc. additions
Some guidelines
  1. Universal generally manages spends half as much as Disney (a $300 million E-ticket at Disney would cost $150-175 million at Universal)
  2. Kong can't be removed from expansion plans since he's all but greenlit
  3. A KidZone replacement of some kind has to be included since it's slated to be replaced
  4. No more Potter unless you remove an attraction in the land or it's a small addition like a restaurant, flat ride, shop, etc.
  5. No removing the lagoons at either park (you can have coasters go over them, or boats travel across them)
USF

1. Front entrance revamp - $40 million
  2. Shrek and Lucy are demolished - $10 million ($50 million)
  3. Universal Monsters multi-level Omnimover-style ride replaces both - $80 million ($130 million)
  4. Despicable Me facade is finished to include neighborhood on both sides - $25 mililon ($155 million)
  5. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit gets upgrades, enclosed skyscraper lift hill and LA-themed landmarks along the track - $40 million ($195 million)
  6. Twister replaced with a new Ghostbusters attraction - $50 million ($245 million)
  7. ROTM upgrades, new facade and storyline... finished finale - $50 million ($295 million)
  8. Disaster gets a Fast and Furious overlay - $75 million ($370 million)
  9. Richter Burgers rethemed to Fast and Furious - $20 million ($390 million)
  10. Family attraction for Diagon Alley - $40 million ($430 million)
  11. Fear Factor removed for Star Trek - $30 million ($460 million)
  12. MIB gets a nice upgrade - $35 million ($495 million)
  13. Sci-Fi flat ride along lagoon to compliment Kang and Kodos - $20 million ($515 million)
  14. BTTF E-ticket - $130 million ($645 million)
  15. TMNT Splash Battle-style ride - $70 million ($715 million)
  16. Coraline trackless dark ride - $110 million ($815 million)
  17. E.T. enhancements - $50 million ($865 million)
  18. Scooby-Doo family coaster - $70 million ($935 million)
  19. Krusty Krab Pizza for KidZone Pizza - $5 million ($940 million)
  20. SpongeBob play area and flat ride - $60 million ($1 billion)
  21. My Little Pony carousel and shop - $20 million ($1.02 billion)
  22. Curious George train ride - $40 million ($1.06 billion) goes around KidZone like the Seuss Trolley
  23. Woody Woodpecker show to replace Animal Actors - $20 million ($1.08 billion)
  24. Gardens of Allah museum - $30 million ($1.11 billion)
  25. T2 upgrade - $50 million ($1.16 billion)
  26. Horror Makeup Show update - $10 mlilion ($1.17 billion)
  27. Update for nighttime show - $20 million ($1.19 billion)
  28. Expanded Superstar Parade (Scooby, Woody Woodpecker, Curious George, Simpsons, Transformers, My Little Pony, TMNT, and Universal Monsters are added in... Hop and Dora get cut) - $60 million ($1.25 billion)
  29. just an idea - for HHN, one huge haunted house, scare zones in each area of the park and Halloween overlays for the rides open during the event, along with more shows included besides Bill and Ted. That way, USF can expand and also avoid lackluster HHN years.
IOA
  1. Return of Island Skipper Tours (water based show scene for each island) - $70 million
  2. Streetmosphere show for PoE - $20 million ($90 million)
  3. Nighttime show for IOA - $50 million ($140 million)
  4. Sneetch Beach flat ride - $20 million ($160 million)
  5. Seuss Trolley revamp/enhancements - $50 million ($210 million)
  6. Cat upgrade - $75 million ($285 million)
  7. A few USF soundstages reclaimed for Seuss expansion including Grinch E-ticket, Lorax dark ride and Horton yearround show that changes to Grinchmas every holiday season - $300 million ($585 million)
  8. Lost Continent turned into Wonka - $250 million ($835 million) includes Chocolate Factory dark ride, Glass Elevator E-ticket and flat ride themed to floating sequence
  9. Controversial - DC removed for Forbidden Forest expansion, includes a Hippogriff coaster with Everest-level intensity and Big Thunder-level theming, Ford Anglia flat ride, Shrieking Shack walkthrough, Quidditch show and potentially one expanded store - $315 million ($1.15 billion)
  10. Great Hall added on top of FJ show building - $30 million ($1.18 billion)
  11. Triceratops Encounter plot used for family suspended coaster themed to Aquatic Dinos... includes cave, waterfalls, a couple AAs, rockwork and a flyover on the lagoon - $75 million ($1.255 billion)
  12. Discovery Center/Burger Digs repossessed for Mr. DNA family dark ride that uses interactive exhibits in the queue-line - $75 million ($1.325 billion)
  13. Observatory tower added to Camp Jurassic - $30 million ($1.355 billion)
  14. Pteranodon Flyers replaced with canopy-themed RVs with higher capacity and new track that allows everyone to ride - $40 million ($1.395 billion)
  15. JPRA upgrade - $40 million ($1.435 billion)
  16. Toon Lagoon replaced with Middle Earth (everything except Popeye is removed) - $520 million ($1.955 billion) includes E-ticket coaster in Mt. Doom, family dark ride, flat, show and nicely refurbished Popeye ride. Play area is replaced with Elven fortress.
  17. Storm Force Acceleration is enclosed and SFX are added (fog, lights, etc) - $15 million ($1.97 billion)
  18. Hulk gets LED lights on tunnel and trains - $20 million ($1.99 billion)
  19. Miscellaneous touches - $10 million ($2 billion)
The $2 billion would be for the WonderSea Island water park, 5th and 6th hotels, a parking garage expansion, additions to CityWalk, and prep for the full-scale 3rd gate.

Matt7187

Ok, I will give this a shot! But I am not that good with the money guesses, so they may be way off.

USF:
-Cleaning up of attractions and added effects all around. $300 million
-Shrek demoed, replaced with Apollo 13 theater simulator in 3D. $60 million (360 million)
-Lucy gutted, becomes Universal comedy tribute with props from famous comedies and a theater where trailers are shown. $5 million (365 million)
-RRR tore down. $5 million (370 million)
-New York and San Francisco combined to make The City, a land that is really just a cop out so the theming sort of makes sense. $0 spent
-Twister demoed, Ride Along stunt show and Bourne E Ticket take its place and the area behind it. $130 million (500 million)
-Beetlejuice building stays, but is changed to a show showcasing historic musical moments from Universal movies, like Les Miserables, 8 Mile, and more. $5 million (505 million)
-Richters Burgers torn down, and a Ted comedy show with an AA Ted sitting on stool on stage. You sit at tables and get a drink and snacks for the 15 minute show, and it has signs outside saying not appropriate for kids under 16, so don't worry about being dumbed down. $35 million (540 million)
-Disaster torn down, Fast & Furious TT style ride and Animal House walk through frat house replace it. $120 million (660 million)
-Fear Factor becomes Psycho haunted "house". $25 million (685 million)
-2001: A Space Oddesy E ticket in area behind MIB to form Sci Fi land. $65 million (750 million)
-Treehouse of Horror funny haunted treehouse and Burns nuclear plant tour D ticket built back near 2001. $75 million (825 million)
-Everything goes in Kidzone minus Woody and ET and Spongebob store.
-The Krusty Krab and Chum Bucket (also restaurant) built across the street from each other. $10 million (835 million)
-Mrs. Puff's Boating School ride built. $70 million (905 million)
-Penguins of Madagascar simulator. $55 million (960 million)
-Woodpecker stays, with his house built next to it as a walk through. $5 million (965 million)
-Curious George becomes Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidwards houses, all walkthroughs. $15 million (980million)
-Mel's becomes Brown Derby restaurant. $2 million (982 million)
-Horror show becomes movie theater where current or classic Universal flicks are held. $1 million (983 million)
-The front gate is made prettier. $17 million (1 billion)

IOA:
-Same cleaning up that USF got. $300 million
-Grinch coaster and Lorax dark ride added in expansion area. $220 million (520 million)
-LC becomes Narnia, with an epic E ticket, a c ticket and a dining experience. $230 million (750 million)
-I will also take out DC and expand HP, but have a Whomping Willow spinner near castle, an Azkaban e ticket, and a hippogriff encounter like the triceratops. $250 million (1 billion)
-Mr. DNA dark ride in the discovery center. $60 million (1.06 billion)
-Here is how this all is gonna go down. Uni is gonna go on a shopping spree for IP, but this may surprise you. Instead of taking out comics, we are adding comics. Dudley gets a retheme to Peanuts, a Peanuts flat ride, and the area taken up by the unused stage becomes a Garfield dark ride and a Calvin and Hobbes dark ride. $175 million (1.235 billion)
-Marvel is sold to Disney, DC comes in, and Hulk becomes Green Lantern, Storm Force becomes Flash, Dr Doom is taken out, and Spiderman becomes the most epic ride ever, Batman vs Superman. $65 million (1.3 billion)

We are at 2.3 billion bucks, and now it gets really crazy. With 2.7 billion dollars, Universal decides to build another value hotel (300 million), a big new crazy waterpark (800 million), and a 3rd gate with tons of expansion pads (1.6 billion).

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your time, and that, my friends, would be 5 billion dollars well spent.

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
Ok, I will give this a shot! But I am not that good with the money guesses, so they may be way off.

USF:
-Cleaning up of attractions and added effects all around. $300 million
-Shrek demoed, replaced with Apollo 13 theater simulator in 3D. $60 million (360 million)
-Lucy gutted, becomes Universal comedy tribute with props from famous comedies and a theater where trailers are shown. $5 million (365 million)
-RRR tore down. $5 million (370 million)
-New York and San Francisco combined to make The City, a land that is really just a cop out so the theming sort of makes sense. $0 spent
-Twister demoed, Ride Along stunt show and Bourne E Ticket take its place and the area behind it. $130 million (500 million)
-Beetlejuice building stays, but is changed to a show showcasing historic musical moments from Universal movies, like Les Miserables, 8 Mile, and more. $5 million (505 million)
-Richters Burgers torn down, and a Ted comedy show with an AA Ted sitting on stool on stage. You sit at tables and get a drink and snacks for the 15 minute show, and it has signs outside saying not appropriate for kids under 16, so don't worry about being dumbed down. $35 million (540 million)
-Disaster torn down, Fast & Furious TT style ride and Animal House walk through frat house replace it. $120 million (660 million)
-Fear Factor becomes Psycho haunted "house". $25 million (685 million)
-2001: A Space Oddesy E ticket in area behind MIB to form Sci Fi land. $65 million (750 million)
-Treehouse of Horror funny haunted treehouse and Burns nuclear plant tour D ticket built back near 2001. $75 million (825 million)
-Everything goes in Kidzone minus Woody and ET and Spongebob store.
-The Krusty Krab and Chum Bucket (also restaurant) built across the street from each other. $10 million (835 million)
-Mrs. Puff's Boating School ride built. $70 million (905 million)
-Penguins of Madagascar simulator. $55 million (960 million)
-Woodpecker stays, with his house built next to it as a walk through. $5 million (965 million)
-Curious George becomes Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidwards houses, all walkthroughs. $15 million (980million)
-Mel's becomes Brown Derby restaurant. $2 million (982 million)
-Horror show becomes movie theater where current or classic Universal flicks are held. $1 million (983 million)
-The front gate is made prettier. $17 million (1 billion)

IOA:
-Same cleaning up that USF got. $300 million
-Grinch coaster and Lorax dark ride added in expansion area. $220 million (520 million)
-LC becomes Narnia, with an epic E ticket, a c ticket and a dining experience. $230 million (750 million)
-I will also take out DC and expand HP, but have a Whomping Willow spinner near castle, an Azkaban e ticket, and a hippogriff encounter like the triceratops. $250 million (1 billion)
-Mr. DNA dark ride in the discovery center. $60 million (1.06 billion)
-Here is how this all is gonna go down. Uni is gonna go on a shopping spree for IP, but this may surprise you. Instead of taking out comics, we are adding comics. Dudley gets a retheme to Peanuts, a Peanuts flat ride, and the area taken up by the unused stage becomes a Garfield dark ride and a Calvin and Hobbes dark ride. $175 million (1.235 billion)
-Marvel is sold to Disney, DC comes in, and Hulk becomes Green Lantern, Storm Force becomes Flash, Dr Doom is taken out, and Spiderman becomes the most epic ride ever, Batman vs Superman. $65 million (1.3 billion)

We are at 2.3 billion bucks, and now it gets really crazy. With 2.7 billion dollars, Universal decides to build another value hotel (300 million), a big new crazy waterpark (800 million), and a 3rd gate with tons of expansion pads (1.6 billion).

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your time, and that, my friends, would be 5 billion dollars well spent.
Seems really nice... and I like what you did with Toon Lagoon! Apollo 13 might not work considering how old the film is. The Monsters are pretty timeless so an attraction for them would work better. Marvel should stay since it's clearly the most viable/lucrative IP unless DC gets its film universe working properly. And $65 million isn't nearly enough to retheme MSHI. And what would you replace Dr. Doom with? The Spidey show building is fairly large so no reason to expand the ride.

I'd also say Calvin and Hobbes isn't very likely considering the creator is adamantly against licensing Calvin and Hobbes to other mediums. Then again, neither is Middle Earth.

Maybe a show for Rocky and Bullwinkle? Two dark rides might be tough to fit and IOA is pretty scarce on shows.

You couldn't fit a Test Track-sized ride and Animal House walkthrough where Disaster is... I'd say BTTF would be better since the area by MIB is HUGE so a sci-fi theme for the ride would work out better. I definitely think Fast and Furious deserves a ride.

Ride Along and Bourne don't scream theme park to me... although a Ted show where Twister is could be gold. (maybe an 18+ exclusive club type attraction at CityWalk would work better)

Psycho wouldn't mesh with London or MIB. Plus Bill and Ted needs a good venue during HHN.

2001 - A Space Odyssey is too surreal for an E-ticket... can't imagine any executive greenlighting it, plus I can't imagine Kubrick or Clarke would approve. It'd be a trip though :D

A Simpsons expansion would be nice but an Evergreen Terrace M&G and Treehouse of Horror overlay for Simpsons Ride is all I ever expect to get.

DreamWorks isn't likely for the KidZone replacement, but I do like SpongeBob being there - just feel a mixture of IPs might be better and make E.T. less awkward-looking (Bikini Bottom with a gray showbuilding in the middle of it - just strange)

Narnia would be cool - honestly anything would be an improvement on what's left of LC. And I do like what you did with Potter. Azkaban could definitely be an intriguing E-ticket if executed properly.

Matt7187

Seems really nice... and I like what you did with Toon Lagoon! Apollo 13 might not work considering how old the film is. The Monsters are pretty timeless so an attraction for them would work better. Marvel should stay since it's clearly the most viable/lucrative IP unless DC gets its film universe working properly. And $65 million isn't nearly enough to retheme MSHI. And what would you replace Dr. Doom with? The Spidey show building is fairly large so no reason to expand the ride.

I'd also say Calvin and Hobbes isn't very likely considering the creator is adamantly against licensing Calvin and Hobbes to other mediums. Then again, neither is Middle Earth.

Maybe a show for Rocky and Bullwinkle? Two dark rides might be tough to fit and IOA is pretty scarce on shows.

You couldn't fit a Test Track-sized ride and Animal House walkthrough where Disaster is... I'd say BTTF would be better since the area by MIB is HUGE so a sci-fi theme for the ride would work out better. I definitely think Fast and Furious deserves a ride.

Ride Along and Bourne don't scream theme park to me... although a Ted show where Twister is could be gold. (maybe an 18+ exclusive club type attraction at CityWalk would work better)

Psycho wouldn't mesh with London or MIB. Plus Bill and Ted needs a good venue during HHN.

2001 - A Space Odyssey is too surreal for an E-ticket... can't imagine any executive greenlighting it, plus I can't imagine Kubrick or Clarke would approve. It'd be a trip though :D

A Simpsons expansion would be nice but an Evergreen Terrace M&G and Treehouse of Horror overlay for Simpsons Ride is all I ever expect to get.

DreamWorks isn't likely for the KidZone replacement, but I do like SpongeBob being there - just feel a mixture of IPs might be better and make E.T. less awkward-looking (Bikini Bottom with a gray showbuilding in the middle of it - just strange)

Narnia would be cool - honestly anything would be an improvement on what's left of LC. And I do like what you did with Potter. Azkaban could definitely be an intriguing E-ticket if executed properly.
Thanks for the feedback, those were just quickies off the top of my head. The only reason I put 65 mil for DC overlay was to have an even number for the park.

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
Ouch. I think Cedar Fair owns the right to it.
Dangit, now I can't get rid of the bold.
Scooby-Doo is already in Universal. He's got a M&G, too. Plus it's not like Cedar Fair has an immersive area and show-stopping E-ticket themed to Scooby. Most of their rides don't have much theming at all, so they could change the Scooby-themed attractions easily.

Both of them are dead.

I knew that... but the film/book just wouldn't make sense as a $200 million E-ticket. The film is a classic, but I can't imagine most people getting excited over it. Plus Universal doesn't own the rights, WB does. They have a great relationship, but there's more relevant IPs out there that Universal does own.

Thrill

This is going to be a lot of spitballing. Very much a work in progress because I don't "get" Universal the way I "get" WDW.

First: I hope you guys don't mind if I make a little power play here: assume Disney steps in and makes the arrangements necessary for Universal to use DC characters in its parks (I'm not sure how much money Universal would net in the process; we're dealing with Disney, Universal, Warner Bros., and Six Flags in this process).

Other than that, I'm not putting any money towards a third gate. These two parks need help first, and with those having been filled out, the remainder is spent on hotels, parking garages, and CityWalk expansions to keep money on the resort.

Islands of Adventure (budget unknown; likely ~$2 billion)​
Port of Entry ($150 million; $150 million)
- General polishing ($15 million; $15 million)
- Streetmosphere ($25 million; $40 million)
- Extravagant nighttime spectacular ($110 million; $150 million)
Suess Landing ($125 million; $275 million)
- General polishing ($25 million; $25 million)
- Upgrades for Cat in the Hat ($25 million; $50 million)
- Lorax dark ride ($75 million; $110 million)
Lost Continent ($250 million; $525 million)
- Polish, any upgrades that might be necessary for the next thing to make sense contextually ($40 million; $40 million)
- Odyssey boat ride in line with Pirates of the Caribbean ($210 million; $250 million)
Wizarding World of Harry Potter ($0; $525 million)
- Placeholder
Jurassic Park ($0; $525 million)
- Placeholder
Toon Lagoon/Untitled As-Yet Unthemed Theme Park Area ($25 million; $550 million)
- Toon Lagoon becomes something else ($25 million; $25 million)
- As for actual concepts, I initially pondered something Scandinavian (because fjords are pretty and How to Train Your Dragon has potential), but decided there's not enough literature barring Norse myth, which largely repeats Lost Continent
- I'm now weighing a second London for USO; this one is Victorian, based partly on The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (thank you, DC!)
- Alternatively, something completely different
Marvel Superhero Island/Gotham City ($275 million; $825 million)
- Marvel Superhero Island becomes Gotham City after an extensive closure ($50 million; $50 million)
- Extensive theming in Gotham City ($75 million; $125 million)
- The Amazing Spiderman transforms into The Dark Knight, with a new queue, videos, and some physical effects ($75 million; $200 million)
- The Incredible Hulk becomes Killer Croc ($10 million; $210 million)
- Dr. Doom's Fear Fall themed to reflect The Joker ($10 million; $220 million)
- StormForce Accelatron gets effects and Scarecrow theming ($25 million; $245 million)
- Upscale restaurant in Gotham City ($30 million; $275 million)

Justifying Gotham City's expense: money has to be spent on placemaking in this area regardless; I just took it as an opportunity to do something wacky.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom