The passing of Al Lutz

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saw on facebook from some old time Micechatters that Al Lutz has passed.

For the younger folks who may not know... Lutz was behind MiceAge and one of the real pressing online personalities that dogged Disney, especially around Disneyland topics for years starting in the days of usenet and then the emerging web sites that sprung up in the early 2000s. Contributor to most of the early sites.. and really one of the top guys for 'inside dirt' about the company's activities, especially theme parks.

Looks like MC has a tribute up now too - https://www.micechat.com/389023-a-tribute-to-al-lutz-the-unyielding-guardian-of-disneys-legacy/

Comped

I was just today wondering why we had heard less and less from him as of late, and did a bit of searching. Did not expect this news at all. Rather sad, as MiceAge was the first site I read when becoming more than just a casual fan of the parks.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
I remember reading his articles as early as third grade, being thrilled by his updates and amused by how cutting he could be. He knew what was right and held Disney to a high standard - something you really only find here these days. A true champion of Disney creativity and greatness.

EricsBiscuit

May he rest in peace. His articles were always a good read. He cared about detail and understood the importance of doing things the right way. Very sad

Wendy Pleakley

He was one of a kind. I can't think of anyone really willing to be so openly critical of Disney, when warranted. Everyone wants to be on their good side and go to press events and what not.

He really recognized when Disneyland started a downward spiral. It wasn't just burned out lightbulbs, it was a shift from great show to cutting costs. It all came to a head when they build DCA on the cheap and delivered an infamous dud out of the gate.

He wasn't just gloom and doom. He reminded me why I love Disney parks. He was an entertaining writer and shared insider information to a level that has never been matched.

I've met some legitimately great people, including the man himself, through community he helped create.

RIP.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I will miss his wildly wrong breaking news and rumors he’d share. He was always fun. I hope the site continues!!
In his heyday, Al was wildly accurate, as many around here will confirm. Not sure where you're getting that he was "wildly wrong", unless you're conflating others' reporting on MC after he stepped back with his reporting back in the 2000's.

hopemax

Wow. Truly the end of an era. My Disney online experience began in September 1996, when I returned from a family trip from Disneyland and my now DH said, "so there is this place I found on the internet called alt.disney.disneyland..." Which lead to rec.arts.disney.parks, and places like the DIS and Laughing Place.com, and eventually here. Doobie and Rebekah wouldn't have even met if there weren't ADD meets on Sundays. It is impossible to describe the evolution of the online social, Disney eco structure people rely on, without devoting the earliest, and largest chapters to Al Lutz. DIG updates, and the later websites were always the lightning rods of discussion. Disney and especially Disneyland would have been in a worse place if Al and all of Al's readers weren't so diligent in shining their spotlights in places Disney did not want them to be.

ZombeeMunkee

I knew Al personally. He was Dustysage’s (founder of MiceChat) roommate and I used to go over to their place every Monday for Horror Movie Night with Dustysage’s then Fiancé. Al knew much more Hollywood Rumors than just Disney. I found out from him two months in advance of Disneyland’s facial hair guidelines change before Disney even announced it to us. I was never promoted at Disney because of my friendship with Al. I didn’t mind. Al was fun to be around and a good friend. When I had gotten opening crew and opening trainer for Star Tours, Al gave me a copy of The Star Wars Holiday Special which you can not find on DVD anywhere. I feel sad but Al fought long and hard with his Parkinson’s and I am grateful that he doesn’t have to suffer anymore from that disease. Al, I love you buddy and may you please rest in peace hanging out with Walt and having a good time. Until we meet again my friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom