The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Parteecia

Tommy’s is a local Los Angeles staple. The original location was built in the 1940s and is especially popular after a Dodger’s game. They’re famous for their chili cheese dogs and burgers. The chili will probably send you to the toilet lol. If you decide to go, don’t get a regular burger. For whatever reasons, they don’t season their patties. The chili gives it the flavor. The hot dogs, on the other hand, are yummy. They are big, though.

The original location is charming. There are no tables and chairs, only standing areas.
I only like the original.

Nirya

North Hollywood Arts District. Colloquially known as NoHo, the area was once run down and did not reflect its glamorous namesake. In recent years however, the city has seen a revitalization and restoration in the form of theaters like the El Portal Theatre and The NoHo Arts Center, comedy clubs like the Acme Comedy Theatre, and trendy bars like The Federal. A niche for the valley’s artsy crowd, the area serves as a hot spot of creativity and expression, with bright lights and city entertainment enough to make this area a must see.
As someone who lives in NoHo, this ain't exactly a touristy location. If you want to do some shopping and see smaller stores, driving down Ventura Boulevard in Studio City is likely better value (you could go to Art's Delicatessen! That's a great place!).

PiratesMansion

Figured I'd pop back here to offer some reviews of the attractions I was able to do in the summer:

Disney Studio Tour: Something I was only able to do because I happened to check the D23 site at the exact right moment, and a bit pricey, but worth it for most Disney fans I'd imagine. The highlight by far was Walt's office. Otherwise, we got to walk around the OG animation building a fair amount, briefly visit the archives, see the Legends plaza, and see some of the other buildings. Some before me had slightly hyped the merchandise available in the store as being exclusive and/or higher quality, but at least when I was there it seemed like just variations on things you could find anywhere that Disney merchandise is sold.

Petersen Auto Museum: I was a bit skeptical, but this won me over pretty quickly, in particular the historical and Hollywood sections of the place. Seeing a DeLorean from BTTF was worth the price of the admission alone for me. The...ahem...figure that most of the first floor is dedicated to probably seemed like a better idea at the time it debuted than it does now. I did not do the vault this time around, figuring it would give the museum a bit of repeat value. I also enjoyed the cannibal gallery-made me chuckle.

Academy Awards Museum: This is literally across the street from Petersen (and LACMA, but I had to cut something and LACMA ended up being it because of the renovation project it's currently undergoing), and it's a mixed bag. Part of this is probably on me, because I just haven't seen as much classic or World cinema as I should have to this point, but I honestly thought the curation and choices made in what to exhibit-or what movies to focus on-was odd. Some made sense-Godfather, an obvious classic with a reputation, makes sense to devote a room to. But then they would devote whole rooms to people and movies that I hadn't heard of and that I imagine no one I know would have heard of, and the reasons weren't entirely clear why. The actual best exhibit was one that was leaving literally the day after I visited-about Black cinema, and the studios and movies that were made in abundance that are now largely lost. I had no idea that there were dozens and dozens and dozens of black film studios, and there was so much information here that was truly new and enriching. There was a stunning film clip with two perfomers who would jump down a set of stairs, over another performer, and land in the splits that was a marvel in the amount of technical skill and artistry on display. Naturally, as the best display, it's gone.

The actual space is perhaps the biggest problem-I've never been to a less inviting looking museum on the inside. They clearly made a conscious decision to take the industrial husk of the building and leave it visible for all to see. This is less problematic within individual gallery spaces, but any charm or appeal to the museum comes solely from the exhibits themselves. It's an odd decision to have made, and doesn't make the museum an appealing place to linger. It's probably still a decent place for most people to visit, but it's hard not to look at it as a missed opportunity.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Ideally the Academy Museum should strike a balance between well-known films/filmmakers and more esoteric stuff. I believe they have Boyz N The Hood and Casablanca exhibits right now as well as a John Waters showcase. When I visited a couple years ago, they had a Miyazaki exhibit. But yeah, if they’re leaning into less-known foreign film directors, many visitors will be unfamiliar (myself included, most likely).

Anyway I feel compelled to defend the place because I’ve come to quite enjoy attending classic film screenings at the David Geffen Theater. Got to see Roger Rabbit back in July, and will be seeing Iron Giant and LA Confidential in the coming months. It’s a nice theater and a good time!

PiratesMansion

Ideally the Academy Museum should strike a balance between well-known films/filmmakers and more esoteric stuff. I believe they have Boyz N The Hood and Casablanca exhibits right now as well as a John Waters showcase. When I visited a couple years ago, they had a Miyazaki exhibit. But yeah, if they’re leaning into less-known foreign film directors, many visitors will be unfamiliar (myself included, most likely).

Anyway I feel compelled to defend the place because I’ve come to quite enjoy attending classic film screenings at the David Geffen Theater. Got to see Roger Rabbit back in July, and will be seeing Iron Giant and LA Confidential in the coming months. It’s a nice theater and a good time!
Boyz N The Hood and John Waters would be new.

I had a good time, and hope it didn't come off like I didn't enjoy the experience in general. It was really the overall aesthetic that soured the experience for me. The exhibits and the restaurant were good, but I've never seen a less aesthetically pleasing museum, and think the experience could use a bit more focus.

TP2000

Anyone know if the John Waters exhibit is good? I'd consider making a trip for that.

Polyester and Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble were great (you need to be in the right mood and frame of mind though), and Hairspray is a brilliant work of art. His stuff from the early 70's was a bit too weird for me, but still watchable once in a morbid sort of way. I would consider seeking this out if the exhibit is good and/or enlightening into what makes that weirdo mind of his tick. I bet he's a hoot to talk to at the bar.

PiratesMansion

Anyone know if the John Waters exhibit is good? I'd consider making a trip for that.

Polyester and Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble were great (you need to be in the right mood and frame of mind though), and Hairspray is a brilliant work of art. His stuff from the early 70's was a bit too weird for me, but still watchable once in a morbid sort of way. I would consider seeking this out if the exhibit is good and/or enlightening into what makes that weirdo mind of his tick. I bet he's a hoot to talk to at the bar.
Present until August 2024.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Boyz N The Hood and John Waters would be new.

I had a good time, and hope it didn't come off like I didn't enjoy the experience in general. It was really the overall aesthetic that soured the experience for me. The exhibits and the restaurant were good, but I've never seen a less aesthetically pleasing museum, and think the experience could use a bit more focus.

Your criticisms are totally valid; the museum is far from perfect. Its aesthetic is definitely polarizing, and that's not an insignificant component of any museum experience (one reason I have concerns about the LACMA redesign...).

I enjoyed my visit in December 2021, but the museum itself is kind of a one-and-done, even with the rotating exhibits. Not sure when I'll return, aside from attending classic film screenings.

Consumer

… (one reason I have concerns about the LACMA redesign...)…
The LACMA remodel looks like they hung up priceless works of art inside a concrete parking garage.
1697114550601.jpeg

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

This sounds nice. Still haven’t been. I’ve wanting to pair a lunch at Tam O’Shanter with a Disney Studios tour for the longest time but just haven’t got around to it.

Sounds like a delightful day. Haven’t yet done the tour myself, but I can attest that the Tam is always a joyous experience (especially during the holidays).

The holiday lights at Descanso Gardens are a fun time, but in my (controversial?) opinion there’s not much to it and it’s not really worth the $40 admission. That said, if you’re just looking for someplace to soak in some Christmas vibes and enjoy a warm holiday beverage, it’s a good option. Last year I waited in line for my cocktail behind actor Adam Scott lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom