The "off season" is a myth.

SleepingMonk

Original Poster
And the cake is a lie.

Just back from a little weekend getaway during the "off season".

EPCOT and Animal Kingdom had very light crowds, dining options wide open in World Showcase, walk-ons for Everest, etc...

Magic Kingdom?

INSANITY!

40 minute wait for Haunted Mansion, 35 minute wait for Pirates, 90 minute wait for Space Mountain, etc....

Off season at the Kingdom?

Not a chance.

Becky

Post Labor Day until the end of September is the off season. The old "off seasons" now have several marathons, many dance and cheer events, lots of holidays, Pop Warner football and other special activities.

Agreed.

We went from January 8th to the 13th and while it was lighter than most of my recent trips which include May, June, July, and August, there was still more crowds than I expected. Disney has done a great job by scheduling events year round and eliminating the "off season". Remember, any time when there is low attendence is bad for business, so obviously Disney is doing something right. Hopefully I can take a future trip in mid to late September.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quite true, especially when you are talking about MK. The slow season at MK was Left 4 Dead quite some time ago. Seems like it was almost Half a Life ago where you could got to WDW in January and almost have the place to yourself. Now a days you are lucky to make it out of the place Still Alive. You still see a value season drop in attendance at the other three parks but even that Aperture of hope is beginning to close.

Becky

Nope.

Not buying it.

We have resident passes, and have been during that time too.

MK is no better then either.

My guess, and I am quite often wrong, is that as a resident you usually go on a weekend and/or go to the MK on days when they have EMH. True the MK is crowded but I stand by my statement that it and other parks are less crowded during Post Labor Day September than at any other time of year.

MickeyPeace

Agreed.

We went from January 8th to the 13th and while it was lighter than most of my recent trips which include May, June, July, and August, there was still more crowds than I expected. Disney has done a great job by scheduling events year round and eliminating the "off season". Remember, any time when there is low attendence is bad for business, so obviously Disney is doing something right. Hopefully I can take a future trip in mid to late September.

Hate to break it to you but I've been going mid to late Sept since 2008. Every year has gotten busier. Last Sept was the worst in terms of crowds.

It was actually busier late Sept 2011 than it was when I went in June 2011. I also went back in Oct and it was less crowded than it was in Sept.

Maybe part of the problem is the "crowd predictors" that people keep paying are telling everyone to go in Sept because it's slow.

devoy1701

Quite true, especially when you are talking about MK. The slow season at MK was Left 4 Dead quite some time ago. Seems like it was almost Half a Life ago where you could got to WDW in January and almost have the place to yourself. Now a days you are lucky to make it out of the place Still Alive. You still see a value season drop in attendance at the other three parks but even that Aperture of hope is beginning to close.

Just not as prevalent...but such a treat when you get to MK and there is NO ONE THERE...Now it's been a year since we've had passes, but when we still did...it was fantastic when you caught a random Sunday between Easter and Memorial Day and the park was near deserted.

But I assure all...the "Off Season" was indeed very real...at one time...back in the day...a not so distant past...and it still shows up every once in awhile...sigh... :dazzle:

Trouble

Hooray for Portal!

My friend and I went in late September/early October and it was empty (compared to the August and Christmas trips I have taken previously).

I was wondering what it might be like at this time of year.

SleepingMonk

Original Poster
But I assure all...the "Off Season" was indeed very real...at one time...back in the day...a not so distant past...and it still shows up every once in awhile...sigh... :dazzle:

I think that's part of the problem.

I admit we're spoiled, and being so close and going so many times over the years has without a doubt changed our perspective.

We remember getting deluxe club level rooms for less than $200, never waiting in line for more than five minutes if at all, reservations for dining actually being available, etc...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think that's part of the problem.

I admit we're spoiled, and being so close and going so many times over the years has without a doubt changed our perspective.

We remember getting deluxe club level rooms for less than $200, never waiting in line for more than five minutes if at all, reservations for dining actually being available, etc...
Then again, if you take that way back machine back to the late 70's early 80's, there were the days that you were ecstatic that the wait on Space Mountain was less that an hour.

Scuttle

And the cake is a lie.

Just back from a little weekend getaway during the "off season".

EPCOT and Animal Kingdom had very light crowds, dining options wide open in World Showcase, walk-ons for Everest, etc...

Magic Kingdom?

INSANITY!

40 minute wait for Haunted Mansion, 35 minute wait for Pirates, 90 minute wait for Space Mountain, etc....

Off season at the Kingdom?

Not a chance.

Well the MK is the one park that I don't think has a true off season anymore I agree. I mean come on 17 million people over the course of the year. But being a local I have experienced some very slow days at the MK. The MK is a crapshoot you just never know.

WorldKey

Nope.

Not buying it.

We have resident passes, and have been during that time too.

MK is no better then either.

We have been 4 times in mid September over the past 4 years and pratically walked onto HM, POTC, Space Mt multiple times in one day, 20 min wait for Splash Mt. tops. Sorry you hit a freak day in September.

Tom Morrow

There really isn't an off season anymore. You'll have the occasional day here or there where the one or more of the parks is empty, but otherwise the crowds have mostly averaged out throughout the year, with busy peaks.

Rowdy

There's absolutely is an off season. Does it change every year? Maybe a little bit, but there are still times of the year where you only wait 5 min for Space Mountain, and 10 for Test Track in the same day.

There are actually a few days that year after year remain to be the deadest of days. But I'll keep that secret to myself. :animwink:

Clever Name

The off season is still alive and well even at the MK. It’s really just a matter of knowing when to go and (most importantly) when not to go. There are certain months, weeks, days, hours and events that make it unwise to visit the MK. I am fortunate in that I am not burdened with the time restraints that plague most visitors (i.e. work, school, limited budget, etc.) so that I can pick the very best times to visit. I fully understand that most guests do not have the luxury of freedom from time constraints that I enjoy. If you wisely pick and choose your hours spent at the MK then the off season will be at your command. :wave:

whitethunder

Normally starting in February if there's something I want to do in MK I'll plan to get to the park by about 8:30 and leave around noonis. This usually gives me the advantage of walking on popular rides, or at worst very minimal wait times. Usually end up in another park or DTD. This last until schools around here let's out for the summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom