News 'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms' preview now playing at Walt Disney Presents

ThatMouse

Good use of space, although I personally avoid all movie previews. On our last trip my family tried to drag me into that Disney mini-documentary I've seen a million times.

ThatMouse

But I liked the Walt documentaries, I'm sick of Walt Disney Presents now being the main place to show movie previews.

It's very old though and there are much better films out about Disney. I suppose I'm holding Disney to a higher standard since that's what Disney does - or at least at a production level. Attraction video (including projections) is hit or miss and rarely updated, which are all missed opportunities since all it requires is swapping a file out.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's very old though and there are much better films out about Disney. I suppose I'm holding Disney to a higher standard since that's what Disney does - or at least at a production level. Attraction video (including projections) is hit or miss and rarely updated, which are all missed opportunities since all it requires is swapping a file out.

You obviously didn't get the memo that holding Disney to the standards they themselves once had is no longer allowed. You're only allowed to praise what they do today. "Good enough" is good enough, "de-risk", "cost containment", and "increased per-guest spending" are the only focus now.

FWIW, this movie looks like this year's "A Wrinkle In Time" without the big names. Meaning... flop city. :bored:

brb1006

Keep in mind that film and exhibit was made during the 100 Years of Magic Celebration (Which was Walt's 100 Birthday). It's as close as Walt Disney World can get to having the Walt experience that is more prominent at Disneyland (Unless you count his brother Roy giving the dedication on the opening of WDW).

CJR

FWIW, this movie looks like this year's "A Wrinkle In Time" without the big names. Meaning... flop city. :bored:

It'll probably come down to reviews. AWIT got panned, which probably kept people away, this could be the same way, but it's a bit early for that.

With movie subscription services on the rise like A-List, Sinemia, and Movie Pass (hard to believe it's still here), people might go see it that otherwise wouldn't have. I know A-List gives people three movies a week, so it's more so enticing those people to see this one for their time. Two of those were around when AWIT came out though and it didn't help it, so I'd say reviews will be important here.

That said, hope the preview's good! Could change some people's minds, although, I'd prefer OMD.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It can go into the Path of the Jedi location if they want to do a movie preview. Or the abandoned Circle of Life theatre in Epcot.

I'd much prefer they replace a collage film you can find on YouTube, or an empty space... Rather than a film that honors Disney's legacy. Popular or not.

I've been lucky enough to catch the One Man's Dream film this past trip in October, August, and last May.

Cmdr_Crimson

I had a chance to see this out here on my Disneyland trip this week and seeing this in the Old Muppet Theater broke my heart...Props removed from the preshow area, the theater still looks like the Muppets and get this..The projection area where Swedish chef is located is just covered over by curtains..If you go sit in the last row and look right above and behind the curtians the Yell and Howl projector is still intact..Which makes me think that the penguins, Bean, Statler and Waldorf are still in tact in their areas..

Alice a

A Wrinkle in Time - the movie - barely resembled the books I treasured as a child. These were the books that introduced math, history, and science in a wonderful way that stretched my elementary-aged intellect. They were the EPCOT center of young adult fiction.

And I seriously have a hard time telling the new Nutcracker movie trailers from the (awful) live-action Alice in Wonderland trailers. Both the Carroll classic and the original Nutcracker story have plenty of content, so why does Disney keep adding more, to the detriment of the original?

seascape

I think people who know the entire story will like it. My wife and I did. In fact anyone who goes in with an open mind and doesn't think of the story we were all told as kids will like it. Is it a great must see movie? No but then most movies aren't either.

Herah

I think people who know the entire story will like it. My wife and I did. In fact anyone who goes in with an open mind and doesn't think of the story we were all told as kids will like it. Is it a great must see movie? No but then most movies aren't either.
Are you saying it's an adaptation of the story The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, not the ballet? I haven't read that, but the Wikipedia summary doesn't have anything like the four realms.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are you saying it's an adaptation of the story The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, not the ballet? I haven't read that, but the Wikipedia summary doesn't have anything like the four realms.

The recent movie's plot points is almost completely unrelated to the Nutcracker by Hoffman, Dumas, or Tchaikovsky.

It hews to the traditional story as close as Disney's recent live-action Alice movies have anything to do with Carroll's works.

And that's not a good thing. It adds in some of the most ridiculous and ineffable plot points imaginable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom