The New Ambassadors and Avatar

menamechris

Original Poster
So the Orlando Sentinel reported today that Meg Crofton announced the new WDW ambassadors this morning.

I thought the most interesting part of her speech was her stating that the new ambassadors' reigns will include the completion of the Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom and the "final planning" for the Avatar area in Animal Kingdom.

Sooo...has she not checked her inbox in awhile? Or are they going to push that this is still happening? I guess it is interesting to note that their terms are 2 years - and she didn't say they anything about construction starting - just planning...

bubbles1812

What are WDW ambassadors?
I was about to ask that... I have never even heard of this.

They could add Mayor of the Moon to the list of "duties," too, and it would be just as meaningful.
I wouldn't mind being mayor of the moon... ;) Can another duty be TDO Overlord? Cause I wouldn't mind doing that too. If you all voted me to be that, I would give free vacations to everyone!**

**During select dates only. Probably inconvenient dates for anyone when I know the park will be empty. And no free dining is not included. Don't even think about that. Also, if you take these free vacations I'm offering, that means no new major additions for at least 10 years. So it's a free vacation or new additions. I mean come on now, be reasonable. I can't lose too much money. I need to get my bonus check somehow. Am I making a good TDO? I can only mismanage the parks so much. I'm trying for Goofy's sake! #cries# **

Magenta Panther

I'm wondering if Meg is mentioning Avatar as a form of spin, and nothing more. We all know from wise and reliable sources like Lee, Whylightbulb, Raven and WDW1974 that Avatar is barely breathing as a concept. My hope is that negotiations with James Cameron will fall through and Avatar will go to that big kitty litter pan in the sky. :D And then that Beastly Kingdomme will finally be taken off the shelf, dusted off and brought to life.

Taylor

I'm wondering if Meg is mentioning Avatar as a form of spin, and nothing more. We all know from wise and reliable sources like Lee, Whylightbulb, Raven and WDW1974 that Avatar is barely breathing as a concept. My hope is that negotiations with James Cameron will fall through and Avatar will go to that big kitty litter pan in the sky. :D And then that Beastly Kingdomme will finally be taken off the shelf, dusted off and brought to life.
Now we all know Avatar has more of a chance of happening than BK, sorry don't want to get you down. I especially don't want to get in a Avatar good or bad argument.

Prototype82

I'm hopeful. I'd be surprised at this point if they decided to cancel it considering Potter 2 is just around the corner. But I am prepared to wait quite some time until construction starts...

themonkeyisthesultan

At "ground level" things are still proceeding as if construction will get underway next year (with FotLK shutting down early next year and new character greeting areas getting ready). Maybe Pandora isn't as doomed as people think.

menamechris

Original Poster

menamechris

Original Poster
At "ground level" things are still proceeding as if construction will get underway next year (with FotLK shutting down early next year and new character greeting areas getting ready). Maybe Pandora isn't as doomed as people think.

I think they want to do the major clearing and relocating regardless of what is going on with Avatar. No matter what comes - Avatar or something else 10 years from now - that will most likely be the spot it will go. I would bet they have been looking for an excuse to close off that area...

bubbles1812

Again, I cite that castmember anecdote I mentioned in another thread.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I feel like most people remember Avatar as "the giant blue smurfs vs evil humans with a tree spirit or something thrown in for good measure." However, I do think the world of Pandora was memorable. If they ever revisit the concept, they have to place the most emphasis on the world rather than the characters for it to be a success... though I don't expect Avatar to be showing up in the now or distant future unless the next movies really take off.

MarkTwain

Believe it or not, some friends and I met with some Imagineers earlier this week. When one of my friend mentioned the speculation about Avatar being dead, one of the Imagineers gave her a weird look and said "don't believe everything you read on Disney blogs." Then he laughed and said that at this point, they almost have to finish Avatarland just to meet all the contractual obligations they were under.

He may have been wrong/lying but I'm just putting it out there.

Dizmentia

Yes, when the partnership between Disney and James Cameron was announced last year, it was made clear that Animal Kingdom was not the only Disney park slated to get an Avatar land (if you look at the press release, Animal Kingdom was almost just mentioned in passing). I get that not everyone cared for the movie, but that does not change the fact that it made lots of money, especially in Asia, where Disney is planning more parks. While partnerships fizzle in the theme park world all the time (most recently Dolly Parton's plans for a venture for a new Opryland water and snow park) I have a difficult time believing that Disney would let Avatar go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom