Trip Report The Never-Ending Summer Of Disney *COMPLETED*

Seriously?!!

Can you believe it??

BC7AE996-5BB5-4770-9C10-F20CE1197633.jpeg

This is jaw-dropping news!!

If only.

Two things in life give me the blues ~ the end of summer and the end of a Disney vacation. A never-ending summer of Disney would be a dream come true! But I am certainly happy to “settle” for a WDW vacay in June....in July....and in August. 😊And rather than write three separate trip reports (and annoy @amjt660 when my *COMPLETED* report really isn’t 😉) I decided to take @Rista1313 ’s suggestion and post an ongoing travelogue, à la @blgauger style.

So let’s get started!

Vacation #1
June 16-24, 2018
Tuvalu, Woody and Em get pampered at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Was there rain? Any snarky Cast Members? Ridiculous guest behavior? A Magic meet-up? How many times did we watch Happily Ever After?

You’ll have to follow along to find out.

slipperalwaysfits

So sorry about your bad Mousekeeping experience at the Poly and the BC this year! I'm glad the CG was good (so far) and I'm happy Woody got to see TSL and you were able to have a mostly relaxing day!!! I'm looking forward to the saucers and SLD!! Wonder how many times you get on Big Thunder this trip?

Songbird76

Do you have a Primark near you? You mentioned that Tuvalette's mom is a B&B fan. I went to Primark yesterday and they had a TON of B&B merch. I thought of you and @blgauger

42310992_635136446902884_5705587976533180416_n.jpg
42373619_266052710691238_5639465980053684224_n.jpg
42381555_1713710098756790_1233096685618462720_n.jpg
42425547_346620009412487_6211056789199257600_n.jpg
42440965_275506546417757_2520284210837585920_n.jpg
42482940_429473470913349_6309995368067104768_n.jpg

They also had some Pooh stuff:
42361348_1061340260737917_212729695811141632_n.jpg
42398883_2196485880588895_392217384133328896_n.jpg

There were also Pjs, socks, etc. If you don't have a Primark near you, and there's something you'd like, let me know and I can see if they still have it next time I go.

LMSB

We found a table and waited.
And waited.
And waited.

View attachment 315255

As we waited, we noticed there were only TWO servers ~ both working the entire pool area. Of course the minute we’d left our loungers we saw a server delivering food to folks adjacent to our chairs. :banghead: And now that we were at a table the remaining server was running back and forth to the kitchen for food.

Disney, if you are going to eliminate self-serve......STAFF for full serve!

View attachment 315256

The server was out of breath when she came to our table. We ordered waters and Cokes as she dropped menus for us.

View attachment 315257

View attachment 315258

View attachment 315259

She returned with our drinks in small plastic cups from the bar. I was expecting the usual Disney-themed paper cups, since the self-serve beverage fountain/mug refill station is still at the far end of the facility.

I don’t care for Coke from a bar. The carbonation is never correct making the Coke tastes flat. (Yes I am very particular over the taste of Coke....and nothing beats Coke from McDonald’s.)

I would have preferred being given a paper cup and getting my own Coke from the beverage station, but the Oasis doesn’t “do that.” (Odd since that is exactly what Capt. Cook’s does.)

Our meals arrived in take-out containers.

View attachment 315260

We both ordered the grilled chicken avocado wrap. It was freshly prepared and very good.

It just bugged me to tip for counter service food.
I am the same way when it comes to Coke.. and Mcdonald’s Coke is my favorite. My husband calls me a Coca-Cola snob🙂

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Let’s hippity hop off the rabbit trail of McDonald’s and Chick-Fil-A and return to this evening’s dinner at the California Grill.....

Woody and I had finished our yummy appetizers and were waiting for our entrees when there was a slight commotion in the restaurant. A bride and groom were being led quickly through the dining room and out onto the observation deck behind us. At first I thought perhaps the ceremony was to be conducted outside, but it was only a photography session.

3680C012-EF41-4BB5-957B-1CCA47585C6F.jpeg

74DEBF2D-5496-4565-B616-FE51FF28D48E.jpeg

There was a professional photographer (seen in pic below) with the couple so why the groom thought it was necessary to take cellphone shots of the back of his bride is beyond me.

486A9420-DC85-40D1-8BC2-6B23322D3677.jpeg

They weren’t outside long and soon made their way out of the restaurant. I wonder what that “shoot” cost. The timing seemed odd since the fireworks weren’t due for awhile and a background of concrete and darkness (with indiscernible lights below) wouldn’t be my preference for wedding photos.

To each their own.....

Our entreés arrived. We both ordered the filet (of course), but I requested no Tamarind barbecue sauce on mine, since I did not care for it when I first had it on my April trip. Gary insisted I have some and brought out a small cup on the side. (Spoiler alert: I did not touch it. Gary may have tried to fool me with the sun dried tomato and oil dip for the bread but I won’t be fooled again. 🎤)

The menu change I wasn’t thrilled with was the sides that now accompany the filet. Formerly the luscious filet sat atop delectable risotto (flavors changed seasonally). Then new chef nixed the risotto in favor of easier-to-prepare mashed potatoes. After a ho-hum beginnning, the mashed potatoes were improved with smoked gouda. To me they were almost as good as the risotto.

Grilled asparagus or al dente thin green beans were always the second side. I love both!

Tonight’s filet was accompanied by “Beef Fat Potatoes, Romano Beans, Grilled Sweet Onions and Tomato.”

4604C247-DD7D-4B71-B7CC-C98A534CA079.jpeg

Otherwise known as “Three Soggy Steak Fries, Bland Pole Beans and an Almost-Raw Onion Slice.”
And do you see a Tomato? Cause I don’t!

In a word ~ Horrid.

My steak did not disappoint, thankfully. Woody wasn’t as critical of the sides because that’s his nature. However the fact that my sides were mostly untouched did not escape Gary’s notice. He asked why and then insisted on bringing me some mashed potatoes even though I politely declined.

1CD89D25-4064-42C3-BC2C-BF679C4E6335.jpeg

Why the large pat of butter? Gary must have known these mashed potatoes had no flavor and needed it. Smoked gouda? Gone. I have had tastier mashed potatoes from a box. One forkful and I was done.

When Gary returned to ask if I liked the potatoes, I replied that I was full and couldn’t eat them.

“Well we ALWAYS have mashed potatoes. You can always substitute any side for them.”

Good to know, Gary.

But only if the mashed potatoes improve in taste.

93boomer

Premium Member
Let’s hippity hop off the rabbit trail of McDonald’s and Chick-Fil-A and return to this evening’s dinner at the California Grill.....

Woody and I had finished our yummy appetizers and were waiting for our entrees when there was a slight commotion in the restaurant. A bride and groom were being led quickly through the dining room and out onto the observation deck behind us. At first I thought perhaps the ceremony was to be conducted outside, but it was only a photography session.

View attachment 315990

View attachment 315987

There was a professional photographer (seen in pic below) with the couple so why the groom thought it was necessary to take cellphone shots of the back of his bride is beyond me.

View attachment 315988

They weren’t outside long and soon made their way out of the restaurant. I wonder what that “shoot” cost. The timing seemed odd since the fireworks weren’t due for awhile and a background of concrete and darkness (with indiscernible lights below) wouldn’t be my preference for wedding photos.

To each their own.....

Our entreés arrived. We both ordered the filet (of course), but I requested no Tamarind barbecue sauce on mine, since I did not care for it when I first had it on my April trip. Gary insisted I have some and brought out a small cup on the side. (Spoiler alert: I did not touch it. Gary may have tried to fool me with the sun dried tomato and oil dip for the bread but I won’t be fooled again. 🎤)

The menu change I wasn’t thrilled with was the sides that now accompany the filet. Formerly the luscious filet sat atop delectable risotto (flavors changed seasonally). Then new chef nixed the risotto in favor of easier-to-prepare mashed potatoes. After a ho-hum beginnning, the mashed potatoes were improved with smoked gouda. To me they were almost as good as the risotto.

Grilled asparagus or al dente thin green beans were always the second side. I love both!

Tonight’s filet was accompanied by “Beef Fat Potatoes, Romano Beans, Grilled Sweet Onions and Tomato.”

View attachment 315989
Otherwise known as “Three Soggy Steak Fries, Bland Pole Beans and an Almost-Raw Onion Slice.”

In a word ~ Horrid.

My steak did not disappoint, thankfully. Woody wasn’t as critical of the sides because that’s his nature. However the fact that my sides were mostly untouched did not escape Gary’s notice. He asked why and then insisted on bringing me some mashed potatoes even though I politely declined.

View attachment 315991
Why the large pat of butter? Gary must have known these mashed potatoes had no flavor and needed it. Smoked gouda? Gone. I have had tastier mashed potatoes from a box. One forkful and I was done.

When Gary returned to ask if I liked the potatoes, I replied that I was full and couldn’t eat them.

“Well we ALWAYS have mashed potatoes. You can always substitute any side for them.”

Good to know, Gary.

Oh my that was a disappointing meal. Glad the steak was good. At least you had something to eat.

krause

View attachment 315990

View attachment 315987

View attachment 315988

To each their own.....

View attachment 315989

In a word ~ Horrid.

View attachment 315991

Good to know, Gary.

Thinking about the cost of that meal (plus 25% because 🇨🇦) and seeing those unappetizing sides makes me want to cry.

Rista1313

View attachment 315990

View attachment 315987

View attachment 315988

To each their own.....

View attachment 315989

In a word ~ Horrid.

View attachment 315991

Good to know, Gary.

It seems like your trips to GC have been getting worse in the last year?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh my that was a disappointing meal. Glad the steak was good. At least you had something to eat.
My salad was also very good and I did have a piece of sourdough....with butter 😉....in addition to my steak.

Thinking about the cost of that meal (plus 25% because 🇨🇦) and seeing those unappetizing sides makes me want to cry.
When I saw the sides I cried a little inside.
Talk about being cheap!

It seems like your trips to GC have been getting worse in the last year?
April = bad. August = not great. The visits in-between (May and June) were excellent.

Thinking back I remember being disappointed in those same sides. I lucked out though....I got Four Soggy Steak Fries & One Tomato!!:rolleyes:
Jelly.

:joyfull:

Jedi Stitch

After a quick unpack we opened the sliding door for some balcony sitting.

For almost two hours we watched it do this.
View attachment 312061

We had a lovely time.
Seriously.
We did not have any plans, so we didn’t feel like we were missing out on anything. Woody and I have spent innumerable hours on various Disney balconies watching the rain and loved every moment. We talk, but mostly we allow ourselves to be still and just “be”. That doesn’t happen often in the busy, stress-filled world we live in.

“What do you want to do for dinner?” Woody eventually asked.
Having eaten such a late lunch I wasn’t particularly hungry yet. But I did have a craving.
“I’m in the mood for an Island Sunset,” I announced.
“I could go for a Kona Longboard,” said Woody.

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho......off to the (temp) Tambu we go!

View attachment 312058

The 2nd floor of the Great Ceremonial House was mobbed with ‘Ohana patrons waiting for tables, so we took our drinks to the lower level where there were ample seats in the lobby.

View attachment 312060

Most lobbies are great people-watching spots. The Poly lobby has the added bonus of the luau check in area.

View attachment 312059

“Watching the people line up for the luau is probably more entertaining than the luau itself,” Woody observed.
I always love your trip reports. We had a dinner ADU for Ohanas for our second time to the restaurant, but in Jan '16 it was to cold for the Luau so they canceled it and sent everyone to Ohanas as the back up. All ADRs were backed up, so you were given an option to go some place else. We ended up next door at the Kona Cafe, for Dinner. Still a great experience. Sadly, that made our only Ohana experience one of those stories I already shared upon. I still look forward to going again and even trying for a Poly stay some day. Until then, I live vicariously thru your reports. You feel like Ohana to me. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I always love your trip reports. We had a dinner ADU for Ohanas for our second time to the restaurant, but in Jan '16 it was to cold for the Luau so they canceled it and sent everyone to Ohanas as the back up. All ADRs were backed up, so you were given an option to go some place else. We ended up next door at the Kona Cafe, for Dinner. Still a great experience. Sadly, that made our only Ohana experience one of those stories I already shared upon. I still look forward to going again and even trying for a Poly stay some day. Until then, I live vicariously thru your reports. You feel like Ohana to me. :)
You’re sweet @Jedi Stitch, thanks.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Neither Woody nor I felt like dessert though Gary brought us dessert menus anyway. I thought Woody would opt for a cup of coffee but he wasn’t interested since he was not having dessert.

I also thought he would remain inside during Happily Ever After. He surreptitiously captured me waiting for the show to begin and I was surprised to see him when I turned around.

0742E68B-164B-4AE9-AFAA-6AE238384011.jpeg

610B9FC5-5AD4-4895-A63F-11F4363BEE4D.jpeg

I love the “nod” to Wishes here.
18A86E24-D608-449F-A5E6-C7A75E6CD0EB.jpeg

29C7D39A-2715-418F-9896-77A14BB016D7.jpeg

After HEA we settled our check and took the monorail back to the Poly. We popped into BouTiki to pick up my purchases from yesterday and on our walk over to Fiji we saw the brief fireworks burst from Once Upon A Time.

A fireworks two-fer?! Perfect end to Day 2 for me!

Jedi Stitch

Refreshed from my Mickey D’s Coke, I now continue with Sunday at the Oasis pool......

Woody returned to his lounger to read. I, the sunflower, was so happy the sun was out that I sat in the shallow end of the pool, soaking up the rays while being cooled by the water. I really missed my fellow sunflower @TrolleyFollower91 and wished she’d been there with me. Woody did join me in the pool later.

It was great leaving the pool when we wanted too, not because a thunderstorm was chasing us out. (We would not be so lucky on other days.)

The path that goes past Fiji leads to Luau Cove.

View attachment 315321
Meant to get a picture with the giant Tiki but never did.

WARNING: The rest of this post contains a grumbly rant. Skip ahead if you prefer not to read it.

Woody and I agree that one of the niceties of being on vacation is having Housekeeping clean our room. Now we are not messy people.....just an unmade bed and folded used towels on the floor. Still it is a pleasure to have someone else make the bed, hang clean towels and empty the trash. Room servicing is so important to us that we would never “opt out” even for a gift card. That’s how we roll.

It’s no secret that Disney has made deep cuts to their Housekeeping staff. The fact that they offer “opting out” at the values and moderates speaks volumes. But each cut means a job loss for someone and extra work for the staff that remains. Sadly this is how corporate America operates ~ cut costs to make the “numbers” look good while forgetting that there are people behind those numbers.

Disney charges a premium to stay at their deluxe resorts and it is not unrealistic for guests to expect a high level of service ~ a major one being room servicing at a reasonable hour. Regular shifts start at 8:30 am (which is early for late risers, but using the privacy sign can avoid an unpleasant knock on the door) and there are lots of folks who are gone for breakfast/the parks meaning those rooms are ready for cleaning. IMO all rooms should be serviced by 2 pm for returning guests, 3 pm for new check-ins.

I complained earlier in this report about the shoddy Housekeeping service Em and I received last month at Beach Club. We had good service at the WL in June, but horrid service at the GF in May. So our track record for deluxe Housekeeping this year has not been good and was about to get worse.

Wet and sweaty from the pool, we opened our door at 4 pm to an unmade room. My blood pressure shot up, for all the reasons I described above. Maintaining my composure, I dialed Housekeeping. The CM promised to send someone right over (the cleaning carts were still in the hallway.) Woody and I decided to sit on the balcony in order to give the housekeeper free rein of the room.

The views lowered my BP.
View attachment 315323

View attachment 315322

Woody and I chatted, our backs to the room. We hung out on the balcony for 45 minutes. When I turned to go inside, my BP spiked.

No one had serviced our room!!

I opened our room door, intending to speak to a housekeeper still servicing rooms on our floor.

All the Housekeeping carts in the hallway were GONE!

“I am going to the front desk,” I announced to Woody. (He didn’t ask why. One look at me and he knew.)

I believe in being nice (but firm) when voicing a complaint. Matter-of-factly I explained our situation to the Duty Manager. She was extremely apologetic, agreed with my concerns and scheduled a servicing for 7 pm (when Woody and I would be out of the room). She also scheduled our daily housekeeping for between 9 am and noon for the rest of our stay. I was given her direct number should anything else arise.

I returned to our room and told Woody to go ahead and shower. I put the privacy sign on the door. When he finished it was my turn. I had just turned on the spigot when there were several loud raps on our room door....AT 5:30 PM. WITH THE PRIVACY SIGN ON THE DOOR HANDLE.

Woody had barely finished dressing. He opened the door to a maid wanting to clean our room. He informed her that our cleaning was scheduled for 7 pm and she seemed confused.

Needless to say, the Duty Manager received a text after I finished showering.
You are well with in decent common sense here. You ask for immediate attention and they brush you off, you schedule for attention, and they then jump on it like a fat dog. Sad part, now you are marked by the staff, you know they have you on their wall, the wall that is only talked about in hushed tones away from guests. All you wanted was a simple daily cleaning that is reasonable.

Jedi Stitch

View attachment 315990

View attachment 315987

View attachment 315988

To each their own.....

View attachment 315989

In a word ~ Horrid.

View attachment 315991

Good to know, Gary.

I think I know where the chef went to. We had great Lavender Focotcia at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland...Maybe he went their.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom