The Muppet Show Revival

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Since Muppet Mayhem got canceled after one season, I think the next Muppet project will be return of the Muppet Show from the dead starring Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and many Muppets, with special guests for each episodes.
The Muppet Show' Heads To Disney+ – Deadline

So what are you think guys?

_caleb

Since Muppet Mayhem got canceled after one season, I think the next Muppet project will be return of the Muppet Show from the dead starring Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo and many Muppets, with special guests for each episodes.

What makes you think this?

TsWade2

The Muppet Show' Heads To Disney+ – Deadline' Heads To Disney+ – Deadline

Um, was there a rumor about that?

TP2000

The Muppet Show' Heads To Disney+ – Deadline' Heads To Disney+ – Deadline

As a big fan of The Muppet Show when it was on the air, I would love it if it came back to TV! It was such a funny way to do a variety show after all the big TV Variety Shows collapsed in on themselves under their own bloated weight in the early 1970's.

But... I really don't think Disney would let them get away with The Muppet Show again. It's far too subversive and unapproved for Disney's current HR mandated mindset. They would neuter it to death, insist on replacing original Muppets with new "inclusive" ones (or at the very least, minimizing the originals into backup roles for the new HR approved characters), and the late 1970's style of smart comedy and wit would never be allowed today.

I'm afraid Disney trying to redo The Muppet Show in the 2020's would be a sad and cringey shadow of its former self. It's best if they just ignore it and let us subversive folks who still engage in thoughtcrime and wrongspeak to watch and enjoy the 1970's reruns.

Funny Memory: At DCA once while waiting to get in to see Frozen, a perky CM usher went down the line asking us who our favorite Disney character was and why. She got to me and I said "Sam The Eagle from the Muppets, because he's very patriotic and way too fussy, just like me." The CM and my family all got a good laugh.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

a perky CM usher went down the line asking us who our favorite Disney character was and why. She got to me and I said "Sam The Eagle from the Muppets, because he's very patriotic and way too fussy, just like me."
Well that just means you have good taste. Sam is absolutely one of the best muppets.

Phroobar

The thing that will be missing is the old vaudeville comedians like Bob Hope and George Burns. The Muppet show was made for them. Who wants to see Senor Wences make puppets with his fist?

iu

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I dont think any Muppets show is sadly going to survive in todays climate. Nobody is wowed by them anymore and it sucks.

Miss Rori

I think the issue that would come up with trying to do Muppet Show again wouldn't be one of "forced diversity" (if any franchise tends to be associated with inclusion and diversity, it's the Muppets if just for Sesame Street alone!), or not focusing on the core characters -- it's that in the United States the variety show is a dead genre and has been since the 1980s. Saturday Night Live is about the closest thing to that still running. Even when Jim Henson was alive The Jim Henson Hour (which yes, was a compromised vision but still) couldn't sell people on a revival of the old format with the "MuppeTelevision" segments, and Disney went all-in on Muppets Tonight post-Henson and it didn't catch on. Part of the issue is that entertainment in general is far more narrowly targeted these days, and the Muppets thrive on a "big tent" approach with something for everyone -- who would be guests widely appealing enough to fit that bill?

Also, I think a longstanding problem with post-Henson Muppets is that the original lineup of Muppeteers developed unique comic and emotional chemistry and rapport with each other and their characters that their replacements, while certainly talented, cannot duplicate. It's like watching original season SNL but without the original performers.

erasure fan1

Also, I think a longstanding problem with post-Henson Muppets is that the original lineup of Muppeteers developed unique comic and emotional chemistry and rapport with each other and their characters that their replacements, while certainly talented, cannot duplicate.
You are right on the money. The way Jim and Frank worked together was absolutely magic. The way they could play off of each other was fantastic. They don't get near enough credit for what they did. And I think the reason they didn't, was because they were so good, all you thought about was the characters. Not that they are puppets with people behind them. And that is near impossible to duplicate, if not impossible. That's what's disappointing about mayhem getting cancelled, it's the closest they've come since Henson.

Casper Gutman

The biggest problem with the Muppets is that they feature quite a bit of adult content (they debuted on SNL) while still appealing to kids but a lot of very loud people have convinced themselves they're strictly children's entertainment and would be outraged in a very media-friendly way if an accurate revival of the Muppet Show took place. This happened to the 2010s version, which was fun.

erasure fan1

The biggest problem with the Muppets is that they feature quite a bit of adult content (they debuted on SNL) while still appealing to kids but a lot of very loud people have convinced themselves they're strictly children's entertainment and would be outraged in a very media-friendly way if an accurate revival of the Muppet Show took place. This happened to the 2010s version, which was fun.
Yes, the muppets appealed to adults and kids. Henson never wanted to aim at just one age. I think it's Disney that's the problem with giving the muppets their edge. They don't understand the ip and seem to not really care. They have had the next best thing to Henson, that they don't want to work with. And that's Oz. They cancelled muppets mayhem, made by people with a great appreciation for the ip. Hopefully they are letting that same crew make whatever is next.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom