the MGM Hat

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Original Poster
What is worse than the Epcot arm? A big hat that blocks the Great Movie Ride! I like the look of the hat...I really hate where they put it. Wouldnt it be better at the front of the park?

TTATraveler

It would have been better in an area not blocking the Chinese Theater :(, the symbol of MGM, not the hat. The area in front of the Animation building would have been a better place for it.

barnebd5

I think both of them got to go...First of all for MGM, it's kind of weird to cover a park icon with another park icon, I mean they had the movie ride and the water tower, why should there be another? As far as the wand is concerned, I tolerated it for the millenium but I think it wore out it's welcome long ago, SE is a strong enough icon by itself. What's next? Giant Mickey ears on the Tree of Life? A giant Mickey glove holding Cinderella castle? LOL

JungleJim

Account Suspended
Original Poster
looking down thew street and seeing the movie ride was so cool.the hat just doesnt fit the theme of the street.

TheOneVader

They should get rid of the arm by next Halloween. Then, they could have an inflatable stem and shine orange light on SE so it'd be a pumpkin!

DisJosh

Disney never used the theater as the parks symbol oficially. Fans of the parks like us have always seen it as a symbol because of it's central location and size. Plus it's easily the nicest focal point to look at in the park. The water tower was always used as the oficiall symbol. Seeing as how you can't see the tower from many places it remained relatively obscure to most tourists. So I think Disney did the right thing on deciding they needed a symbol that would draw attention more easily. Where they went wrong was in building that goofy looking hat. They should have given the theater a NICE rehab...maybe put some bucks into updating some scenes inside and then re-opened it as the parks icon. I don't think the theater would translate too easily into a graphic sort of logo like Disney likes to use though. Oh well.

Captain Hank

But would having the Chinese Theater send a message that whoever owns the theater is directly involved with the theme park (which to my knowledge, they aren't)?

diz420

At first I hated it. Now I it really does not bother me anymore. I think this will be the park icon in the future?. All in all I think I've started to like it.

SamtheEagle

Account Suspended
Epcot has an arm.....Mgm has a hat......Should Animal Kingdom have Mickeys leg? A giant Mickey leg leaning against the Tree of life.

longfamily

Hate the hat in it's current location, hate the wand period. I liked the fact that when you walked into MGM that it looked as though you were on Hollywood bld. of the 1940's. How special was that! A wonderful recreation (for those of us who have not seen the real deal) now obstructed by a hat. A hat that's sole function is to house another t-shirt shop.:hurl:

MissM

longfamily said:
A hat that's sole function is to house another t-shirt shop.:hurl:
Nope, pin store. It's pins under the hat.

I don't mind it. The Theater is really run down looking and even the handprint sidewalk is looking cheesy these days. The hat's bright and cheerful.
-m

Sledge

Account Suspended
MissM said:
even the handprint sidewalk is looking cheesy these days.

Whatever! They have Hulk Hogan, which will never ever get old or cheesy!

Do they still have the ______-Wee Herman hand print or did they cover it when he became a pervert?

CAPTAIN HOOK

barnebd5 said:
What's next? Giant Mickey ears on the Tree of Life? A giant Mickey glove holding Cinderella castle? LOL
Really, when ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I disagree, I think that the Mickey hat is a really cool :cool: symbol for the park and a focal point having entered the park - I would be sorry to see it go or even moved/ Now as for the arm on SSE...................

stitchcastle

I'd rather have the hat put somewhere else...maybe outside the turnstiles at MGM, or put it in Downtown Disney....I mean looking at it, it IS very pretty but it just serves no real purpose to MGM, heck it actually hurts the beauty that is Hollywood blvd. But it should not go to waste, put it in Downtown Disney or the Pop Century Resort

If they want MGM to have a truly visible symbol for the park, maybe they can put up the entrance to the Walt Disney Studios Paris?...although it would then be VERY similar to Universal

The Spaceship earth wand should go period.

se8472

You can't out the hat outside the park, that is the problem that was run into with the water tower. They learned from the mistake.

I don't see how you can say it has no real function. Granted it dosn't do anything, I don't think Cindys Castle does anything too.

They are the icon of the parks, that is what they where built to do.

Granted the hat does look out of place...but once agian we know it has to go inside the park, where else could it have gone? There isn't a place large enought to house this thing and that is still in a central location. There just is no other place for it guys, sorry.

DisJosh

hcwalker16 said:
But would having the Chinese Theater send a message that whoever owns the theater is directly involved with the theme park (which to my knowledge, they aren't)?

I hadn't thought of that. They would need something original and the theater would not be that. Whatever...I still say trash the hat lol. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom