The Horror Of Awakening From A Disney Dream. Has This Ever Happened To You?

Bob Saget

Original Poster
You've just arrived at your favorite resort on day 1 of a long, restful WDW vacation. Or you're strolling the walkways of a theme park, about to get in line for one of your favorite attractions. Your family is there with you. All seems well with the world; you're happy, you're at Disney, and then you hear it. The sound blends in with the environment at first, and it takes you a few seconds to realize what's happening. Suddenly the environment around you begins to quickly fade away. That all-too-familiar sound has somehow pulled you out of your element. Everything is dark, you open your eyes and come to the bitter reality of what that sound was all along...the dreaded alarm clock!!

You try to quickly close your eyes right back, but it is all in vain. Disney is no longer there, only darkness. Reality hits you like a kick to the gut... it's Monday morning, and a loooong work week is waiting for you.

"No! This cannot be!" you think to yourself. "I was JUST at Magic Kingdom with my family an instant ago!"

Since you are still crossing the border of sleep and reality, your inner wishful thinking suggests that possibly you being in bed is the dream, and you are, in fact, still at Disney. But as you gaze across the shadows of the room and feel the bedsheets beneath you, deep down you know better. It's over. It's time to get up for the day.

This moment of dread you've just experienced only took approx 5-10 seconds at best, but it seemed painfully longer. What has happened to create such a depressing tale? You've just awakened from a Disney Dream! It is a horrible, antagonizing situation which many of us have experienced at least once in our lifetimes. To be at Disney and have it all whipped away in a flash, all because of an alarm clock or some other noise to bring us back to our reality. Yes friends, awakening from a Disney dream is indeed a bitter pill to swallow. But it has happened to me too, and I know the feeling all too well!

Yet there is hope from depressing tales such as these. For the polar opposite of awakening from a Disney Dream is actually BEING at Disney and awakening your first morning of a trip. Oh what a grand feeling indeed! After a long flight/drive the day prior, you are obviously exhausted. You awaken to the day, foggy-headed at first, assuming it is yet another day as usual. A couple of tired seconds float by...that is when it suddenly hits you! I'M AT DISNEY WORLD!! You're not in your bedroom, you're in (insert resort's name here)! You're not getting up for work, you're getting up for (insert theme park's name here)! All is well with the world once again, and this time, it is for real!

That wraps up my tribute to the horrors of waking up from a Disney Dream, and the pure joy of waking up and remembering...I'm at WDW! Share some of your stories from either side of the spectrum. I know you've experienced one or the other.

JIMINYCR

YAWN , STRETCH, HIT SNOOZE BUTTON.... I prefer the next to last paragraph.;)
2349802399_eea1a4064b.jpg

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yes it has happened to me. Actually I usually try to go to sleep by mentally walking through the parks. I try to imagine all the detail. If I start with MK I'm usually asleep by the time I hit the castle!

NYwdwfan

I don't set the alarm clock.....

Ahhh, yet another perk of a retiree's life of leisure!!!

I always have nightmares that it's the last day of my resor stay and I forgot to go to any parks. I'm headed towards the MK bus and my husband tells me we need to wait for DME. It's awful!!

George Lucas on a Bench

One of the most maddening experiences I had with Disney and falling asleep was actually in WDW. I was watching the Hall of Presidents again in the middle of the night on One More Disney Day. I always look forward to the Presidents standing up from the chairs and that hand motion Obamatronic does when he says "the unimagined discoveries". Yet, I kept dosing off during each of those instances. I was so annoyed for sleeping through the best parts!

FettFan

Yes, that would be horrible to wake up aboard the Disney Dream.
disney-dream.png

Being stuck confined to a blasted giant boat would drive me stir crazy!

Story of my life. A few times I've had dreams that I'm visiting Magic Kingdom only to wake up and find out the whole adventure was just a dream just like Super Mario Bros. 2!:mad:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
While anxiously waiting for the days to tick away till my next visit I usually have a dream or two where I'm leaving Disney World and my visit is over and I can't remember doing anything. I'm always glad to wake up from that one knowing my trip still awaits!

I always try to think f Magic Kingdom whilst falling asleep in the hope I dream of it. I rarely remember my dreams so I am not sure if it works!

zurgandfriend

Yes I have this re-occuring nightmare where I am on the Disney magical Express going back to the airport and I saying "but I didn't get to the Magic Kingdom and I didn't get to EPCOT and I didn't ".... then I wake up.

captainkidd

My Disney nightmare is pretty much always the same. I'm all excited about my trip (of course). I wake up on the last day of the trip, and I've missed the entire thing.

rodserling27

My DIsney World-related dreams are never quite right. WDW is always changed or has something wrong with it that I can't put my finger on in the dream, but once I wake up I realize how backwards or distorted it was. I don't have nightmares about WDW, but when I dream about it, t's not usually a pleasant experience...I'm always trying to navigate the park or climb off of a broken attraction that usually doesn't exist in the real world. I'd prefer just to go there in person ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom