The future of Tomorrowland

STITCHGEFAN

Original Poster
With so many projects on the go, it seems unlikely that Tomorrowland will get much love in the next five years. But once we get to 2030, it appears to me there's scope for that to be the next big project.

Stitch remains basically unused, Monsters Inc will be represented through its land at HS. Buzz is also there and Space Ranger Spin has felt like an outdated ride system since Toy Story Mania. Cars will outdate the Speedway more than it is already (if that is possible), and Space Mountain could well be due the modernisation starting in Tokyo.

There's potential for seismic changes, what would everyone do to improve the area? Any current rumours would be appreciated too.

Loose Pebble

I could see them adding Elio to Tomorrowland if it does well. The aesthetic makes sense with the Buck Rogers alien space port theme of MK's version.
I would love to see big (positive) updates to Tomorrowland!

DW Aficionado

With so many projects on the go, it seems unlikely that Tomorrowland will get much love in the next five years. But once we get to 2030, it appears to me there's scope for that to be the next big project.

Stitch remains basically unused, Monsters Inc will be represented through its land at HS. Buzz is also there and Space Ranger Spin has felt like an outdated ride system since Toy Story Mania. Cars will outdate the Speedway more than it is already (if that is possible), and Space Mountain could well be due the modernisation starting in Tokyo.

There's potential for seismic changes, what would everyone do to improve the area? Any current rumours would be appreciated too.
I agree, how about refurbishing Tomorrowland instead of just expanding the park. For example, can't we make something more useful from the 'Noodle Stand' area on a more permanent basis?

Stitch is empty space, the Laugh Room is more of a filler then an attraction.

Buzz is so worn out, the LED ray guns are something from the 80's

on the right, was a stage with seats that is boarded up.

The ride on top of the people mover, is really bad

C'mon, don't just expand, but make the entire park better

Trueblood

I've heard plenty of speculation over the years. I think part of the problem is the same thing that Innoventions had, it's hard to keep "tomorrow" from looking like what tomorrow looked like ten years ago. The idea I would hear repeatedly is that the land should look like "Walt's Tomorrow" and be a fun throwback to that era's science fiction. With the addition of TRON, Disney has changed directions on that.

Here's the problem for my wife and me: Tomorrowland is a good "place." When Tomorrowland area music comes up on the streaming stations, that makes us want to visit, even though the biggest draw to the land is the PeopleMover.

Marc Davis Fan

Once TBA opened, they should have moved Tron to Standby and closed Space Mountain for a major, DL-style refurbishment. That would have tripled the attraction’s quality and GSRs. Now it looks too late for that, if they’re about to take BTMRR offline…

DW Aficionado

I've heard plenty of speculation over the years. I think part of the problem is the same thing that Innoventions had, it's hard to keep "tomorrow" from looking like what tomorrow looked like ten years ago. The idea I would hear repeatedly is that the land should look like "Walt's Tomorrow" and be a fun throwback to that era's science fiction. With the addition of TRON, Disney has changed directions on that.

Here's the problem for my wife and me: Tomorrowland is a good "place." When Tomorrowland area music comes up on the streaming stations, that makes us want to visit, even though the biggest draw to the land is the PeopleMover.
Keep it retro, but give the attractions a makeover

STITCHGEFAN

Original Poster
Once TBA opened, they should have moved Tron to Standby and closed Space Mountain for a major, DL-style refurbishment. That would have tripled the attraction’s quality and GSRs. Now it looks too late for that, if they’re about to take BTMRR offline…
Agreed, and with the new projects, it feels like it will be a long time until we see that happen now. Seems more likely that the land will be the next big project after Villains.

Andrew25

Revert it back to the original white/retro aesthetics.

Replace/Retheme
  • Space Mountain - whatever happens in Tokyo (but keep the same exterior)
  • Speedway - Cars will make this irrelevant, split the space in two between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland for expansions.
  • Carousel of Progress - pending how the Walt animatronic is received, I think a new storyline with Walt as the main character can work (can have Walt growing through the ages, showing the latest tech and what is coming)
  • Monsters, Inc. + Buzz Lightyear, gut both and convert into a new Omnimover experience with (blank) IP
  • Stitch - tempted to just convert the space into a lounge + additional merch space so we can get rid of all the merch carts that take away from the overall land's aesthetic. Attraction capacity is replaced with the Speedway removal/replacement

Refurb
  • Cosmic Ray's - give it a proper refurbishment, looks like a school cafeteria
  • Auntie Gravity's - refurb
  • PeopleMover - add additional visuals in the tunnels (excl. Space Mountain)
  • Astro Orbiter - revert it to a more classic Rocket Jets aesthetic (keep the planets though)
  • Lunching Bay - give it an aesthetic overhaul (get rid of all the metal) and serve actual food
Overall aesthetics should be clean and provide lots of areas to just sit and relax (kind of like Epcot's core)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom