The Effects of Hurricanes on WDW

WDWVolFan

Original Poster
Has a hurricane ever damaged WDW to the point that one of its parks or hotels had to shut down for a while to be repaired?

Just curious really.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The longest that the parks have ever been closed due to a hurricane was 2 days. This was in 1999 for Floyd if memory serves me correctly. I also believe they closed for Charley, Francis and Ivan. Charley was the worst hit to the parks. Once Charley had passed the parks were open as normal, but there was damage to various props and structures that did take some time to repair. The most notable damage was to the roofing tile on ToT, the ship in front to the American Adventure and the Royal Plaza on Hotel Plaza Blvd. The Royal Plaza was closed for just shy of 2 years after Charley.

WDW's location is really favorable when it comes to hurricanes. It is far inland so tidal surge is not a worry at all. Also most of the sting has been taken out by the time the hurricanes reach the center of the state.

BiffyClyro

I wondered that! I don't think it has, since 1: It's inner FL so if it hit it would most likely be less damaging and 2: They think about all this stuff when building the park to make it as sustainable from that sort of weather as possible. :)

I think they have shut the parks due to bad weather (Water parks a lot) but not because of damages.

Goofyernmost

I wondered that! I don't think it has, since 1: It's inner FL so if it hit it would most likely be less damaging and 2: They think about all this stuff when building the park to make it as sustainable from that sort of weather as possible. :)

I think they have shut the parks due to bad weather (Water parks a lot) but not because of damages.
You could be right, but, I wouldn't think that the inland trip (60 miles from either direction) over flat as a pancake terrain would do much to slow the wind down. It has more to do with luck and direction of the hurricane. I think it was Floyd that did a lot of damage through Kissimmee and the entire Rte 192 stretch. I think that most of WDW was built with that possibility in mind and has been reinforced to resist hurricane damage, but they cannot control some of the things like trees down or flying objects doing damage. So far, they have not really been hurt a lot directly in the parks, but, the surrounding areas have been messed up pretty bad.

BoarderPhreak

This year saw a close call with 89mph winds; there was some damage at HS (ToT queue) and minor flooding in EC - but mostly at Uni. The "magic" has served WDW well in this regard over its history. Let's hope it stays that way!

BiffyClyro

You could be right, but, I wouldn't think that the inland trip (60 miles from either direction) over flat as a pancake terrain would do much to slow the wind down. It has more to do with luck and direction of the hurricane. I think it was Floyd that did a lot of damage through Kissimmee and the entire Rte 192 stretch. I think that most of WDW was built with that possibility in mind and has been reinforced to resist hurricane damage, but they cannot control some of the things like trees down or flying objects doing damage. So far, they have not really been hurt a lot directly in the parks, but, the surrounding areas have been messed up pretty bad.

Yeah true. I'm just guessing here. In England, rain F*'s us up, so i don't how FL copes with Hurricanes :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah true. I'm just guessing here. In England, rain F*'s us up, so i don't how FL copes with Hurricanes :D

It is not that hard. For the most part you build around the risks in your location. All structures built in Florida are "tied down" to the foundation. This basically means that every joint from the peak of the roof to the top of the slab is connected by clips, rods, straps etc. If you are on the coast you elevate the house, use impact resistant glass and/or impact shutters. If you are in a flood prone area inland you elevate the house, but impact resistant glass is a bit overkill inland. For debris protection inland plywood over the windows or temporary metal shutters are more than adequate. If at all possible, build away from large trees.

After that it is just common sense prep work. When you get the warning bring in everything that can fly around (eg grills, chairs, lawn ornaments, etc.) and hunker down and wait it out. If you are on the coast and it is going to be a direct hit you lock the place down, grab you family heirlooms and your insurance policy and evacuate inland.

BiffyClyro

It is not that hard. For the most part you build around the risks in your location. All structures built in Florida are "tied down" to the foundation. This basically means that every joint from the peak of the roof to the top of the slab is connected by clips, rods, straps etc. If you are on the coast you elevate the house, use impact resistant glass and/or impact shutters. If you are in a flood prone area inland you elevate the house, but impact resistant glass is a bit overkill inland. For debris protection inland plywood over the windows or temporary metal shutters are more than adequate. If at all possible, build away from large trees.

After that it is just common sense prep work. When you get the warning bring in everything that can fly around (eg grills, chairs, lawn ornaments, etc.) and hunker down and wait it out. If you are on the coast and it is going to be a direct hit you lock the place down, grab you family heirlooms and your insurance policy and evacuate inland.
I just meant the general attitude of people. Everyone goes on lock down. Especially in snow. People act like they are going to be stranded for weeks.

Mammymouse

By the way, actually just west of Disneyworld the landscape is not a pancake but is quite hilly - Clermont and from North to South of Clermont. This section of the state is called the Ridge, and it surprises you when you drive from the south, say Lake Placid due North to Ocala and beyond on Route 27 to see the hills. Granted their elevation probably has very little effect on storms and wind though.

Nemo14

Not sure about park damage, but apparently there was some significant brain damage done to certain "higher-ups" 10 years or so ago.

Goofyernmost

By the way, actually just west of Disneyworld the landscape is not a pancake but is quite hilly - Clermont and from North to South of Clermont. This section of the state is called the Ridge, and it surprises you when you drive from the south, say Lake Placid due North to Ocala and beyond on Route 27 to see the hills. Granted their elevation probably has very little effect on storms and wind though.
I'm originally from Vermont. We pile manure higher then that in Vermont. Those are what we would call snow drifts. :D I believe, as you said, they really don't have much effect on storms. :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The terrain we have in Florida, even at its greatest, will not do much to break up a storm. You really need something on the order of small mountains like you find in Cuba to have much of an effect. However, land just by itself does take a good bit of the fight out of a hurricane. Hurricanes get their energy from warm water. Once that energy source is removed, they begin to weaken.

docdebbi

The longest that the parks have ever been closed due to a hurricane was 2 days. This was in 1999 for Floyd if memory serves me correctly. I also believe they closed for Charley, Francis and Ivan. Charley was the worst hit to the parks. Once Charley had passed the parks were open as normal, but there was damage to various props and structures that did take some time to repair. The most notable damage was to the roofing tile on ToT, the ship in front to the American Adventure and the Royal Plaza on Hotel Plaza Blvd. The Royal Plaza was closed for just shy of 2 years after Charley.

WDW's location is really favorable when it comes to hurricanes. It is far inland so tidal surge is not a worry at all. Also most of the sting has been taken out by the time the hurricanes reach the center of the state.

you forgot Wilma

we were there in 2005 when Wilma made a close enough pass to close the parks for one night (late) and one morning. By 1 PM the next day, they had limited rides open in Epcot only, and only for resort guests. then they generally increased availability
it was actually great fun to be there, we felt safe and protected but could watch mother nature throw a temper tantrum.
and Disney did a great job of entertaining and feeding resort guests while waiting it out, and keeping us informed of what would re-open when.[/quote]

JIMINYCR

I'm ignoring anything thats bad weather related to Disney. I'm going in Sept and every site I go to has a line similar to/ or version of... Sept at Disney...Hurricane season begins mid to late Aug. and continues through Sept, Oct. This chart doesnt make me comfortable either.

Hurricanes-at-Walt-Disney-World-300x173.jpg

But I've been before when weather has been predicted and they've been wrong... so the odds hopefully are in my favor. I'm going to close my eyes, plug my ears and if I don't think about bad weather .. it will be bright sunny perfect days from Sept 11th to 22nd. Positive thinking... thats what I've got.:D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm ignoring anything thats bad weather related to Disney. I'm going in Sept and every site I go to has a line similar to/ or version of... Sept at Disney...Hurricane season begins mid to late Aug. and continues through Sept, Oct. This chart doesnt make me comfortable either.

Hurricanes-at-Walt-Disney-World-300x173.jpg

But I've been before when weather has been predicted and they've been wrong... so the odds hopefully are in my favor. I'm going to close my eyes, plug my ears and if I don't think about bad weather .. it will be bright sunny perfect days from Sept 11th to 22nd. Positive thinking... thats what I've got.:D
Let me ease your mind a bit....

Hurricane season is roughly 106 days long. So far WDW has existed through 4346 days of hurricane season. Of those, they have been closed for a grand total of 6 days give or take a day. That means you have a 99.8619% chance of no closure due to a hurricane during your visit. Odds don't get much better than that.

JIMINYCR

Let me ease your mind a bit....

Hurricane season is roughly 106 days long. So far WDW has existed through 4346 days of hurricane season. Of those, they have been closed for a grand total of 6 days give or take a day. That means you have a 99.8619% chance of no closure due to a hurricane during your visit. Odds don't get much better than that.

Thanks ;) I like those odds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom