The DL hotels

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
Forgive me if this is common knowledge but I don't know as much about the Cali side of things as the Florida side but what are the DL hotels like in comparison to the WDW ones? I mean in design and looks etc. not interested in prices or stuff like that! Also what is there history as am I right in saying Disney did not build these from scratch? Thanks! :wave:

DCA Fan

The Disneyland Hotel was built at the start of Disneyland by another company and was later bought by Disney. It features a classic hotel design with a Disney touch. Special water fountain show is also shown.

The Paradise Pier hotel was originally the Pacific Hotel until DCA opened, when it was renamed. It recently underwent renovations, rooms feature a beach theme in the style of classic California.

The Grand Californian was built w/ DCA and DD based off the Arts & Crafts movement in California. It features a design said to be centered in a redwood forest, with a large lobby area and warm colors. The hotel also houses the Napa Rose restaurant, a fine wine dining experience.

Hope that helps!

Disneyland1970

DieHardDisney said:
Thanks, I think its strange why Disney bought hotels, was their not enough room for expansion i.e. new ones?

By the time Disneyland was on its feet money wise, all the close property was already taken! I'm not sure when the DL hotel was purchased, but I assume it was before the Monorail was extended to it. It is very hard to explain how crowded it is around DL if you have not seen it first hand. Room was almost non existent, that is why DCA was built on the old parking lot. I Stayed at the DL hotel many times (20+) when younger. It is a very magical place. Not themed like WDW hotels, but very Disney!

Merlin

Account Suspended
Disneyland1970 said:
I'm not sure when the DL hotel was purchased, but I assume it was before the Monorail was extended to it.

Not quite. Disney purchased The Disneyland Hotel in 1987, more than 2 and a half decades after the monorail was extended to it.

The Disneyland Hotel was built by Jack Wrather shortly after Disneyland opened. Walt Disney gave the Wrather Company the exclusive right to use the name "Disney" on hotels, believing at the time that he would never be interested in operating hotels. (This was perhaps the only time in Disney history that one can honestly say a mistake was made by Walt and was later corrected by Eisner). When the monorail was extended to the DL Hotel, Disney charged the Wrather Company a very small fee for their use of the monorail. When WDW opened, they couldn't even use the name "Disney" on their own hotels because of the Wrather agreement. By the time Eisner arrived at Disney in 1984, this was something that infuriated him. The Disneyland Hotel was already starting to look very run down and it drove Eisner crazy that it had the "Disney" name on it. Disney's CFO at the time suggested a rather ruthless move... Raise the fee on the use of the monorail to a ridiculously high amount, leaving the Wrather Company with few options other than to sell the Disneyland Hotel to Disney. The plan worked and Disney got more than they'd bargained for. They ended up purchasing the entire Wrather Company, which gave them not only the Disneyland Hotel, but also the Queen Mary (which they later sold) and a few other properties. This also gave Disney the right to finally put the name "Disney" on their existing hotels. They acted quickly by immediately adding the word "Disney's" to the front of the names of most of their hotels at WDW. They also changed the name of the Golf Resort to the Disney Inn (which was later renamed Shades of Green when it was sold to the Armed Forces).

Unfortunately, the Disneyland Hotel had gotten pretty run down by Disney's standards. So it took years, and millions of dollars, to fix it up. It wasn't financially feasible to give the hotel an elaborate theme. So consequently, it's basically just a hotel, albeit a nice, clean one.

The Paradise Pier Hotel actually started out as the Emerald Hotel, which was a chain of hotels that mostly was prominent in Hawaii. It was later purchased by another company and the name was changed to the Pan Pacific. When Disney purchased it, they changed the name to the Disneyland Pacific Hotel. They later fixed it up and changed the name to the Paradise Pier Hotel shortly before DCA opened. As with the Disneyland Hotel, the entire budget went into fixing the hotel up to Disney standards, so no themeing was done on it.

The Grand Californian is the only hotel at DLR to be built by Disney from the ground up. It's by far the prettiest. And yes, it was designed by the same designer as the Wilderness Lodge but it's no where near as elaborately themed.

Disneyland1970

WOW, Did not know all that!! Yes the DL hotel was getting very shabby! I always thought with the shops and restaurants that Disney owned it. I have fond memories of checking in to the hotel and ridding the golf carts to your room. Renting a paddle boat in the lagoon in the middle of the hotels, or a Character Breakfast at Goofys Kitchen. I loved the addition of the walk in pool, now that I think back was that after Disney bought it? The best was to scramble back to the Hotel after the first Electrical Parade, to catch the last water show at the hotel Ahhh, to get old!
I did not like the way DTD runs to the hotel after the DCA addition. I also miss the Monorail Cafe! It took some of the peacefulness and atmosphere away from the hotel! Thanks for the info

Merlin

Account Suspended
Disneyland1970 said:
WOW, Did not know all that!! Yes the DL hotel was getting very shabby! I always thought with the shops and restaurants that Disney owned it. I have fond memories of checking in to the hotel and ridding the golf carts to your room. Renting a paddle boat in the lagoon in the middle of the hotels, or a Character Breakfast at Goofys Kitchen. I loved the addition of the walk in pool, now that I think back was that after Disney bought it? The best was to scramble back to the Hotel after the first Electrical Parade, to catch the last water show at the hotel Ahhh, to get old!
I did not like the way DTD runs to the hotel after the DCA addition. I also miss the Monorail Cafe! It took some of the peacefulness and atmosphere away from the hotel! Thanks for the info

There are two excellent books that give a lot of great background info on this stuff. One is called, "Storming the Magic Kingdom", which is about the attempted takeover in the 80's, what lead to it, how they fended it off and the aftermath. The other is called, "The Disney Touch", which is almost a "sequel" of sorts to the earlier book. It pretty much takes off where the first one left off and focuses more on the first several years of the Eisner era.

I have those same fond memories that you mentioned. The Monorail Cafe was great! I also remember Sgt. Preston's Yukon Saloon. We used to go there and do karaoke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom