The closest beach to WDW

KingStefan

I assume you mean closest to get to by car, and not as the crow flies. That is the more practical question.

On the East coast, I would guess Cocoa Beach, which is very nice. On the West coast, I would say the beaches on the Clearwater/St. Pete peninsula (Clearwater Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Madeira Beach, St. Pete's Beach).

East is closer. East and West have very different characters. I prefer the West coast. Where you would prefer depends greatly on what you are looking for. Privacy on one extreme versus well-serviced and heavily life-guarded on the other.

I'm sure people on here will give you widely different advice, but it really depends on your personal preferences.

Upvote 0

raven

Cocoa Beach is the closest and is on the east coast (about an hours drive). But if you want a real treat go Clearwater Beach for the sunset on the Gulf! (About 2 hours drive.)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We like the Gulf Coast better and spend time on the beaches of Anna Maria Island. My daughter goes to school in Tampa and they head to Clearwater.

Upvote 0

SAV

If you do go to Clearwater Beach, make sure to have a meal at the Palm Pavilion on the North side of the beach. Great Burgers and I hear they have an awesome Grouper Sammich there.

If you are looking for a less touristy beach, then head south toward St. Pete Beach. Not the beach towny feel, but miles of beach to walk along.

Upvote 0

MissM

If you DO come over to our Gulf Coast side, don't go to Clearwater Beach. Seriously. I know everyone knows that one but it's really the least impressive of the 22-miles of white sand beaches we have over here.

Head a little further south (lik 15-20 minutes) and hit Madeira Beach or Treasure Island instead. Much wider, nicer beach and less with the bars and tacky tourist junk.

Gulf Coast side is calmer water and we have excellent sunsets here where the sun sinks into the Gulf. The Atlantic side is rougher, cooler temperature water since it's open ocean.

Cocoa is nice on the Atlantic side and probably the closest to Disney. It also has the famous Ron Jon's surf shop there if you're into that kind of thing. :animwink: But there's definitely a difference between the Gulf Beaches and the Atlantic ones. Which is better is a matter of preference.
-m

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Glad to see all these replies as I was thinking of asking the same thing. We live on Lake Huron up here in Canada, so I am use to seeing nice beaches. I really want to see the white sands and the clear, warm water though. And do you find seashells at pretty much any beach down in Florida or is there certain ones that seem to have them more? :shrug:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom