The Briar Patch vs Briar Patch

Better gift shop?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Which Splash Mountain gift shop is better? Disneyland's or Magic Kingdom's?

The Briar Patch (Disneyland)
Briar Patch at Disney Character Central
MiceChat - Disneyland - Critter Country - Briar Patch - MiceChat

Briar Patch (Magic Kingdom)
PHOTOS! The Windows of This Splash Mountain Gift Shop Are Covered Up in Disney  World | the disney food blog
img-9361-1s_orig.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I'm struggling to remember what that building was used for before the Briar Patch opened in 1989.

It's a small building with low doors and ceilings. The windows are also set low, like they may have been serving or order windows for a snack bar.

I believe that building pre-dates Bear Country in 1972 and was part of the Indian Village from the late 1950's to early 1970's. But for the life of me I can't remember what it was used for, either during the Bear Country era or before.

TP2000

How stupid of me... just go check Yesterland! :rolleyes:

It was called the Indian Trading Post from 1956 until Splash Mountain opened in 1989. It appears as though it was always a gift shop, and before Splash Mountain it featured Indian crafts and the obligatory turquoise jewlery.

Can you even imagine a shop in Disneyland selling authentic American Indian arts and crafts today?!? None of it branded with Disney, Pixar or Marvel, and none of it made in Communist China?!? Bob Chapek would have a heart attack if he saw this kind of display today!
tradingpost.jpg

Here's a young lady in 1976 wearing her patriotic Bicentennial fashions just outside the Indian Trading Post. I miss the Bicentennial! That was fun. The low windows and counters were just there to sell postcards and Kodak film and other souvenirs; so I guess it never was a snack bar.

1976.jpg

SuddenStorm

It was called the Indian Trading Post from 1956 until Splash Mountain opened in 1989. It appears as though it was always a gift shop, and before Splash Mountain it featured Indian crafts and the obligatory turquoise jewlery.

Can you even imagine a shop in Disneyland selling authentic American Indian arts and crafts today?!? None of it branded with Disney, Pixar or Marvel, and none of it made in Communist China?!? Bob Chapek would have a heart attack if he saw this kind of display today!
tradingpost.jpg

Here's a young lady in 1976 wearing her patriotic Bicentennial fashions just outside the Indian Trading Post. I miss the Bicentennial! That was fun. The low windows and counters were just there to sell postcards and Kodak film and other souvenirs; so I guess it never was a snack bar.

1976.jpg

Someone needs to write a book on the decline of Disneyland's merchandise. The history of Main Street and New Orleans retail alone...

Brer Panther

Wonder what they're gonna do to both Briar Patch gift shops when/if the Splash Mountain rethemes begin.

I think it's pretty safe to say they'll both still be gift shops (gotta have a place for all that Tiana merchandise the rethemes are going to sell, don'tchaknow) but what will they be called?

Dear Prudence

tradingpost.jpg

1976.jpg
NGL, these are great photos, though.

The Empress Lilly

No contest. The MK Briar Patch is one of the finest shops around. Delightful.

But shouldn't be in Frontierland. And the wares further neither the story nor continue the placemaking, which is a shame.

DL Briar Patch doesn't look like what it says it is, a briar patch. Looks rather like what it does is: a log cabin with covid-haircut-style roof vegetation. An uneasy cartoon overlay. Although it does interact better with its similar surroundings than the isolated toony Briar Patch in the MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom