The American Adventure

General Grizz

Original Poster
The American Adventure

“Our heritage and ideals, our ode and standards – the things we live by and teach our children – are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings.” – Walt Disney

Walt Disney has always had a fondness of America. Even as a child, young Walt and his friend, Walt Pfeffer, would dress up for vaudeville-style shows, one of them themed to Abraham Lincoln – Walt’s favorite president. Throughout his years of cartoons and theme-park envisioning and building, Walt Disney stressed the importance of American history and culture: “Here we experience the story of our country’s past…the colorful drama…Frontierland is a tribute to the faith, courage, and ingenuity of the pioneers who blazed trails across America.”

However, when technology came available, Walt Disney hoped to increase the mediums on ways to educate and inspire. With help from the current WDI President Marty Sklar, Walt hoped to create a “Hall of Presidents.” However, due to time constraints, Walt had to decide upon a way to bring American history into their new project: The 1964 New York Worlds Fair. After building a presidential attraction based on his childhood hero, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln became a reality. In it, the Audio-Animatronics figure of President Lincoln stresses the importance of liberty: “This government, must be preserved in spite of the acts of man, or set of men. Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality."

Through his entertainment, Walt hoped for the unity of a family – a spiritual component of American culture. He showcased this ideal in his Carousel of Progress, in which the these ideas American progress and family combined to show how dreams really can become a reality to make a brighter tomorrow with work and courage: another aspect which has brought our nation to successes in the many chapters of our American adventure. Walt’s passions for American values exceeded in the stories of his attractions and films: “More than ever, I believe in the permanence of any well-founded institution which recognizes and caters to the basic needs of people, spiritually as well as materially. And in my opinion, entertainment in its broadest sense has become a necessity rather than a luxury in the life of the American public.”

The ideals and history of America can presently be seen today in one of its best forms yet: The American Adventure at EPCOT. Being one of the most technologically advanced and truly inspiring attractions, this 30-minute production focuses on the promise and dreams of this nation. The Hall of Presidents became a reality in 1971, and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is still showcasing the ideals it set out to teach in 1964.

Feel free to discuss your views on Walt's outlook in our never-ending cause for freedom and liberty for all!

Attachments

• waltmr_linc.jpg
    waltmr_linc.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 215

bamboo7

"Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life. There must be so much that i should have said, but haven't. What I will say now is just what most of us are probobly thinking every day. I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy, and freedom."

Buford

Wow! Great article! I've seen a sneek peak at some more...I can't wait to see the full thing! :zipit: And also, I like the quote you added, bamboo! Wonderful!!

prberk

Thanks, Griz. I especially liked the picture.
Where did you get that?

Anyway, very nice article.

The American Adventure is still great to me. It is understated, but I think even teens get something lasting from it (and the Hall of Presidents) when they visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom