Testing Wait Time Apps...

CaptJack922

Original Poster
I'm looking to test a handful of the "wait time" apps and post a realistic review in the coming months...

I'll be heading to WDW in July. Although I've been to the World six times, this will be my first trip during the summer. I've used the touring plans from the "Unofficial Guide" on previous trips to much success. I'm planning on utilizing one of the "wait time" smartphone apps to help deal with summer crowds efficiently. Unfortunately, most of the 'reviews' on the itunes/Android store are limited to the "it's GREAT" or "it STINKS" category with very little detail to support their verdict. I really want to know WHAT makes these apps great (or deficient). What did you like? What did you dislike? Was the information accurate?, etc. Well, I'm taking matters into my own hands...

I'm planning on purchasing the following apps, testing them extensively during our trip, and reporting back with a detailed review:

• TouringPlans.com (free app, but $10.95/year subscription)
  • Undercover Tourist ($3.99 app on itunes)
  • VersaEdge Software ($0.99 app on itunes)
These seem to be the most popular and gives me a good spread on price. Anyone have any other suggestions for apps? Please post in thread and wish me luck...

rangerbob

I use the WDW Wait Times from VersaEdge Software and it is free. I see that they have one for .99 but I don't know what the differences it between the 2. I use it all the time and since individuals can update it while at the park it makes it great. It always is within a few minutes of being accurate.

I'm local to WDW so I'm using is at least once or twice a month.

mimitchi33

I use these apps at home (because my iPod can't connect to Wi-Fi at Disney for some reason) and at other places, like the Embassy Suites I stayed at for a wedding. I like playing a game to see which ride had the longest wait of the day at each park, but some of the wait times could get a little crazy. For example, on June 10th, 2011 at around 3PM, Figment's wait time was 30 MINUTES! :ROFLOL: On that same day, Winnie The Pooh had a wait of 80 minutes!:ROFLOL:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I use these apps at home (because my iPod can't connect to Wi-Fi at Disney for some reason) and at other places, like the Embassy Suites I stayed at for a wedding. I like playing a game to see which ride had the longest wait of the day at each park, but some of the wait times could get a little crazy. For example, on June 10th, 2011 at around 3PM, Figment's wait time was 30 MINUTES! :ROFLOL: On that same day, Winnie The Pooh had a wait of 80 minutes!:ROFLOL:
This is probably because there is very little public wi-fi at WDW. You will only find it at a few resorts and there is pretty much zero public wi-fi in the parks.

Club Cooloholic

I used the Undercover Tourist App. Eh was ok, pretty much the rides you expect to be crowded are and I found the times were overstated. They had the Tower of Terror at a 35 min wait and it was more like 10(the sign even said that) and I put in the new info but never saw anything change. This happened everytime I updated a ride.

kapeman

I used the Undercover Tourist App. Eh was ok, pretty much the rides you expect to be crowded are and I found the times were overstated. They had the Tower of Terror at a 35 min wait and it was more like 10(the sign even said that) and I put in the new info but never saw anything change. This happened everytime I updated a ride.

Any of these apps will be just as good as the accuracy and number of users that do the updates.

I was considering the Mobile Magic app that was recently ported to the various smartphones, but the feedback is horrible, plus, from what I have read, it doesn't show actual wait times, just descriptions, e.g. short wait.

You can get most, if not all, of this info from the mobile web site.

I do like the maps on the UT free app.

It isn't perfect, but for now I am sticking with the Lines app.

Dads 2 Boys

Any of these apps will be just as good as the accuracy and number of users that do the updates.

I was considering the Mobile Magic app that was recently ported to the various smartphones, but the feedback is horrible, plus, from what I have read, it doesn't show actual wait times, just descriptions, e.g. short wait.

The real wait times (from Disney's system) for the Mobile Magic app will only appear when you are in the parks. It's done by location based technology. Feedback was horrible for a portion of April when there was an outage and no one knew what happened. From many people I know who have it, they loved it while in the parks.

The Undercover tourist apps and Touring Lines are frequentlt different from each other...sometimes up to 30 mins but of course that's because it's all user based.

kapeman

The real wait times (from Disney's system) for the Mobile Magic app will only appear when you are in the parks. It's done by location based technology. Feedback was horrible for a portion of April when there was an outage and no one knew what happened. From many people I know who have it, they loved it while in the parks.

The Undercover tourist apps and Touring Lines are frequentlt different from each other...sometimes up to 30 mins but of course that's because it's all user based.

The reviews have been trending upward lately. The ones I was referencing were the ones that cited the need to force/close a lot.

I may rethink this one...

Club Cooloholic

I guess, but if the wait time is wrong its not very helpful. If the ride is known to be popular, it will have a long wait time, if not probably won't. It's more useful for gauging what park in general is crowed at that moment. Also I wish it took into account Magic hours, I found that once the regular hours for the park were done, the app went down.

Patrick_Ears

How do these time apps really work... meaning as how do they get there info for correct times. Do they have something with Disney they work together with? Is there a site to where they get there info from or is this through history? If it's history then i don't trust it.. No one and i mean no one can see the future......

Club Cooloholic

How do these time apps really work... meaning as how do they get there info for correct times. Do they have something with Disney they work together with? Is there a site to where they get there info from or is this through history? If it's history then i don't trust it.. No one and i mean no one can see the future......

For the free undercover tourist one, it is done by user input. You can only put in a time if your phone is GPS enabled(and you have it on) and it shows you are at the location of the ride. Pretty neat, but you have to hope people are being honest in their input(I was) and I don't know how many people have to put in the same time for it to change as it never changed when I updated it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Mobile Magic is the only one that gets information directly from Disney. All of the others are based on user input. If you have a good stock of people putting in accurate info on a regular basis the results should be somewhat accurate. However, if a few people decide to put in false data the accuracy will go out the window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom