Tecnical: lighting in Fantasmic!

Blizz

MagliteL13 said:
Anyone know if any Disney stuff is planned for LDI this year?
They havn't released that info yet but I am sure they will offer some sort of tour. I wish I could go this year but once again Ill be working on two shows taking up the entire month.

mouseterbrent

If i can remember corectly the fixtures on the grids that arise out of the mountain and also the ones located in front are mostly high end products (studio color,studio spots,and Cybers) along with some martin fixtures (mac 2k wash mostly). FYI: according to comar site i do not believe they make scanning fixtures

robynchic

I brought my friend down to Disney over the summer while I was working there. He's a senior in college, and is a tech theatre major with a concentration in set design. I took him to see Fant!, and the first thing he said when we sat down was "...toys...look at the toys..." I guess he liked the lighting equipment

We were talking to one of the spot techs after the show, so he could get to know a little more about the equipment Disney uses, and the only thing I can remember is that the spots in the back are the newest Super Trooper (before they went out of business). And from what my friend was telling me, the strength of that spot and the quality, that one spot was probably worth $1 million.
I can ask him what the other equipment used was. He was very impressed that Disney does shows like that, and that I could talk to the entertainment tech people in "some funky code."

robynchic

Come on, you think I'd really let those codes out? I explained them to my friend while we were walking what the different terms I was using meant. He thought it was kind of cool to get to learn what they meant, and finally understood why I look at him, completely puzzled, when he gets specific about lighting. He likes to be in the booth, working on the lights or the sound. I like to be on the stage, being IN the lights or being mic'd

Gfhweb

With those super troopers in the back of Fatasmic, does any one know wether ther have a second black light bulb in them that can be switch to. Becasue duing the boats scences there seems to be a black light coming from the spots for all of the blacklight reactive costume material. Is it another bulb in there or is it just an extremely expensive gel. Thanks for anyone who can help.

peter11435

Gfhweb said:
With those super troopers in the back of Fatasmic, does any one know wether ther have a second black light bulb in them that can be switch to. Becasue duing the boats scences there seems to be a black light coming from the spots for all of the blacklight reactive costume material. Is it another bulb in there or is it just an extremely expensive gel. Thanks for anyone who can help.
I think the black lights come from around the side of the water way. I don't think they come from the back at all.

Coasterbp

The Followspots do drop in a UV filter for the Animals section. They pick up the bird on the rock/Rafiki and the Monkeys on the barges.

lightboy

Yes...there is a congo gel dropped for that scene I believe. This isn't a true blacklight effect, it's more of an illusion. And I can't remember if those are Super Troupers or not, if they are, they are at least the 2ks. Actually those are manufactuered by Strong....and Strong is still alive and well in the Entertainment market, so not sure where you got that information. And followspot prices are FARRRRRR from $1 million :)

lightboy

I suppose it's something like that. You can pick one up used for about $5-7 thousand...a Xenon Super Trouper...and I'm going to take back my previous statement saying that Fant has XSTs...they are bigger, and I plan to ask a couple of my buds over there...perhaps Gladiators.

Blizz

To me, spotlights dont matter, I'd rather light a show with all motion fixtures set to track to where I want them. For me it is more reliable and is much more fluid looking to the audience. The only time I even touch a spotlight is for a stage event like a musical in which you need to only highlight the talents face.

To me, a spotlight ruins the mood I am trying to create with the rest of my design.

Illumineer

I agree!

I applied to WDW as an Electrician. Supposed to call me tomorrow. I hope someday to work my way to LD for Imagineering. Long Shot

Anyway, Yea. A majority of the fixtures wdw uses are HES.

on the truss i think there were (L/R Boom Positions)

-12 Studio Spots 575 CMY zooms

-6 Studio Colors. CMY

(Im not sure if there are a few more This is what i remember.)

FOH

12 Cyberlights
5 Technobeam iris
?? Par64
?? Source fours
?? Studio Spots

lightboy

Technos are great fixtures...but only a 250 watt discharge lamp...
Not really good for anything except close quarters...like a club or confined space, or small stage. They'd be practically non-existent in an outdoor venue with long throws.

Compared to the 1,200 watt Cyberlight or the Coemar NATs that come in I believe 1,200 watt, 2,500 watt, and 4,000 watt versions......well, you get the picture! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom