Tampa Airport to far?

SpongeScott

Depends on how you get to WDW, but yeah, saving $300 is significant. You'll be about an hour away from the Mouse, give or take a few minutes. What are your plans if you fly into Tampa?

Upvote 0

Panhead

Im at WDW right now, my grandparents flew into Tampa to save money, they rented a car and drove over to our time share. They will normally fly into TPA to save money. Its only an hour 20 minutes to WDW, so its not a bad drive. It all depends on your prefrences, $300 is a good chunk of money.

-Chris-

Upvote 0

sandheichert

Original Poster
Depends on how you get to WDW, but yeah, saving $300 is significant. You'll be about an hour away from the Mouse, give or take a few minutes. What are your plans if you fly into Tampa?

Drive to the House of Mouse for 10 days. Then either fly out of TPA or finding a flight out of orlando.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'd do it. :wave: Plus you'll have the convenience of your own automobile.

It's really nice not to have to depend upon the Mouse for transportation.

If you want to go somewhere right then and there...you can!

Upvote 0

WelshBatman

Not to mention, it's a really easy drive on I-4 from Tampa (once you get away from the airport)... Not much to see but it's just a straight highway and the road signs are clearly marked. It's pretty easy to navigate.

In a way it's easier than navigating International Drive and I-4 from Orlando... I mean it's easy to follow but the traffic sucks.

Upvote 0

SAV

Depending on how much your rental will be for the 10 days, that will cut into your $300 savings(unless you were planning on renting a car in Orlando anyways). So make your decision based on that amount. If it comes out to only be a savings of $50 or $100, then is it worth it to you to drive that extra 2 hours(combined) and pay for the extra gas? Which may end up only saving you $25 overall.

But to answer the original question, Tampa isn't too far at all. It is a very, very easy drive to WDW. All interstate driving. I guess it also depends on what your plans are for your arrival day and departure day.

Upvote 0

luckyeye13

As someone who did this drive every day for six weeks while working in Tampa and living in Lake Buena Vista, I certainly have my owm opinion on this. The airport in Tampa is nice and easy to use and is well-connected, so nothing is lost by not flying into Orlando. Since $300 is definitely quite a lot of money, it does make sense to consider this, especially, as other posters have said, if you had already planned on renting a car. The one thing, though, that nobody has mentioned is traffic! While it does, on average, take around 1.5 hours to get between Tampa and WDW, that time goes up considerably during rush-hour. In that case, it was not unusual for me to spend up to 2.5 hours in each direction. So, basically, if you are going to be driving during peak times (especially on the way back to the airport), be sure to allow lots of time for traffic! Otherwise, you might have saved money on the airline tickets, but will lose it all by missing your flight and having to buy new tickets. I am by no means trying to discourage you from using TPA, but, since no one else had mentioned it, I just want to make sure that you are aware of the potential for a lot of traffic and are prepared for it.

Upvote 0

krueg66

As someone who did this drive every day for six weeks while working in Tampa and living in Lake Buena Vista, I certainly have my owm opinion on this. The airport in Tampa is nice and easy to use and is well-connected, so nothing is lost by not flying into Orlando. Since $300 is definitely quite a lot of money, it does make sense to consider this, especially, as other posters have said, if you had already planned on renting a car. The one thing, though, that nobody has mentioned is traffic! While it does, on average, take around 1.5 hours to get between Tampa and WDW, that time goes up considerably during rush-hour. In that case, it was not unusual for me to spend up to 2.5 hours in each direction. So, basically, if you are going to be driving during peak times (especially on the way back to the airport), be sure to allow lots of time for traffic! Otherwise, you might have saved money on the airline tickets, but will lose it all by missing your flight and having to buy new tickets. I am by no means trying to discourage you from using TPA, but, since no one else had mentioned it, I just want to make sure that you are aware of the potential for a lot of traffic and are prepared for it.

I second this...as someone who lived in Tampa for 7 years and did the drive to WDW all the time, traffic can be horrible and not just during rush hour. Getting from the airport out onto I-275 and then to I-4 can be a real mess, regardless of the time of day.

Wouldn't renting the car basically eat up the savings from the flight? Unless you were planning on renting a car regardless.

Upvote 0

TinkSassy

It's about 45 minutes between the two - so the drive is easy. Remember traffic heading back to the airport. Drove between the two for work and the traffic can get tight from about 4:30 - 5:30p (regular rush hour - but will add time) Just be sure you plan for that. I'd do it. . .

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We fly in & out of Tampa all the time, love that airport. I have to agree though that renting a car for the entire stay will eat up the savings unless you can get a great deal on the price. Since we always visit family while there (inlaws and daughter in college) we have to have a car, WDW is a side trip for us.
We worked around the rush to the airport to go home deal by staying at the Marriott on site. :lol: All you do is take the elevator down to the concourse and check in, they will even bring your bags down to the check in counter for (for a price, of course).

Upvote 0

devoy1701

it's longer than 45 minutes as some have said...

They're redoing the entire junction that connects the airport to I-275 and SR60 right now so traffic near the airport is alittle heavier than normal and the signs don't make complete sense at the moment...there are a couple new left exits and some flyover bridges. Just keep your eyes open for the right signs (I-275 North to I-4 East). It's going to take you about 15-20 minutes to get from the airport to the I-4 junction...after that it'll take you about an hour to get to WDW. I do it in about 45 minutes but that's different. Traffic will remain heavy until you get past the Lakeland exits, but all-in-all it's a very easy drive.

And TPA International is a very easy and navigable airport! You're drive is about 75 miles from TIA to WDW, so plan for about a 1/4 tank of gas each way...but with gas prices dropping (and if you were planning on renting anyway) It'll probably be worth the money.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If, OP, your plan was to rent a car anyways (which is what I always do, even if staying on property), flying into Tampa to save on the airfare is a no-brainer. The drive from TPA is painless as long as you aren't in Tampa at rush hour, and still not a terrible pain even then. Straight shot on I-4, which, despite having been under construction since sometime during the Calvin Coolidge administration, typically moves well. Get off I-4 at the Celebration/World Drive exit (62 if I recall correctly) and you'll be in WDW within about 70 minutes or so if you miss rush hour traffic. Since the drive between the Orlando airport in WDW is about 20-25 minutes, the airfare saving more than justifies the time, IMHO.

On the other hand, if you weren't planning to rent a car absent flying into Tampa, your cost savings will be eaten up by the rental car.

Upvote 0

MissM

The warnings about the construction are correct. The whole junction which connects SR60, I-275, and the Veteran's Expressway is seriously under construction right now. So the lanes are shifting a lot. Just follow the 275 signs and you'll be ok.

I-275 itself is undergoing some construction but once you get onto I-4, you'll have smooth sailing. The construction on I-4 between Tampa and WDW is FINALLY done. (It's on-going if you continue past the WDW exit though.) It's 70mph and three lanes.

I-275 does have nasty, slow rush-hour traffic. But outside of rush hour, it's not too bad and it's not a majority of the trip.

It takes me one hour and 15 minutes to arrive at WDW. 15 minutes to get to the interstate and pretty much exactly and hour on the interstate. I make this drive at least once a month since we're passholders. It's really smooth sailing.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

If you're considering flying into Tampa and out of Orlando, make sure that you consider possible extra drop-off fees and different terms and conditions for the rental car. It can make a BIG difference in the price if you are dropping off at a different location than you pick up.

Depending on the company, it may not be a problem for some locations. For example, picking up at Orlando AP and dropping off at WDW is not considered a different location. However, you have to check to make sure for Tampa and Orlando.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

If you're considering flying into Tampa and out of Orlando, make sure that you consider possible extra drop-off fees and different terms and conditions for the rental car. It can make a BIG difference in the price if you are dropping off at a different location than you pick up.

Depending on the company, it may not be a problem for some locations. For example, picking up at Orlando AP and dropping off at WDW is not considered a different location. However, you have to check to make sure for Tampa and Orlando.

We have picked up at Tampa and dropped off on Orlando (and vice versa) and not had to pay a fee. Not sure of the chain though as we have used different ones. Best to ask when you call for availability.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom