Tampa Airport to Disney

rolm

Hello, I'm coming into Tampa Airport and I'm trying to figure out what's best for getting to Disney, rent a car or take a limo/cab? I know renting a car from National/Avis will probably run me about $30-$40, but what will the cab fare run me from Tampa to Disney?

DisneySam

I used to live in St. Pete 5 miles from Tampa, and travel in/out of that airport quite a bit, do the rent-a-car. It will be more cost effective, everytime I have taken a cab or shuttle it was expensive, I can't imagine what it would be to take you to Orlando.

Tampa airport is a great airport, very easy to find your way around. PM me if you have any other questions or need directions.

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I've flown into Tampa and then gone to WDW. I'd say definitely rent a car. I can't remember how long the drive was, but it was at least an hour I'm sure. The cab fare would probably be quite a bit more than the cost of a rental car. We rented a car and the drive wasn't really that bad at all. :)

Upvote 0

DisneySam

You are right, once you get out of Tampa its about 45 minutes. Although I have been from My House to the Welcome Sign in about 45-50 mins....:eek: ainxous driver....

Upvote 0

JKovach

Account Suspended
BE CAREFUL WITH GETTING A CAB IF YOU DO!!!! I have posted this story on here before, but probably not everyone saw it and it is very fitting for this case... oh and before I start... from Pop Century to Tampa Int. Airport was over $100... well it was well over that for me because of this story... hahahaha, here it goes

So, last summer my girlfriend and I went to Disney together and we were there right in the middle of hurrican charley!! We were supposed to fly out the friday it hit... so needless to say we could not. Our flight ended up getting changed to sunday AND WE HAD TO FLY OUT OF TAMPA (TIA)... otherwise we would not be able to get out until like next thursday..

So, we get a cab to drive us to Tampa and we had a foreign woman pick us up, and when i said "Tampa Int. Airport" she said "Orlando Int. Airport?" and I had to correct her... and she did it again... this happened FOUR times, so I knew right there this was going to be trouble... So then we get on the highway and are driving and she sees a sign that says "Tampa" and she points at the sign and says "there?" (NO JOKE... how safe does that make you feel???) so I just said yes, and sat back and prayed...

Then, we finally get near and I see a sign for "TIA" and it says like 1 mile... then the sign for 1/2 mile comes and she's still doing like 85 in the fast lane... I tell her "ummm... you want this next exit" so she just SWERVES across the highway... and I was like "Wow settle down please" and she just didn't understand. Then we get off and we come to a split off the exit... AND IT CLEARLY SAYS "TIA LEFT" AND ".... RIGHT" (dont remember what, but something other than TIA)... and she literally just drove straight into the median... and stopped and looked at the signs dumbfounded...

So I say "go left here" and so... you guessed it... she goes right, so i yell "no... LEFT" and she just drives over the grass and goes left... so now im just like "we're gonna die..."

FINALLY we make it to TIA and we come to a point where it says "rental car return left... terminal right" well... she goes right (phew) BUT WAIT..... WAIT...
SHE BACKS UP...
AND SHE GOES LEFT TO THE "RENTAL CAR RETURN"

now... to make things better... THE TAXI VAN DOESN'T FIT IN THE PARKING GARAGE AND SHE HITS EVERY BEAM ON THE TOP OF THE VAN.... so i just say "please let us out here, we can walk to the terminal" she simply says "ok" and then keeps driving..... i then go "PLEASE LET US OUT... WE CAN WALK, THANKS!" and she goes "oh ok" AND SHE KEEPS DRIVING...

so... we get out of the Rental Car return and there's the sign "left terminal/rental car return (oh god not the rental car return again) or right to exit airport" YEP...

SHE LEAVES THE AIRPORT!!!!

she then proceeds to turn onto the highway... AND CROSS THE BRIDGE THAT GOES OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO AND INTO TAMPA BAY.... SHE TOOK US OUT OF TIA... AND INTO TAMPA BAY.... I then request her to turn the fare off since we were at the airport and I asked to get out.. and she does it again "ok" but doesnt...

SO AT THIS POINT I WAS FURIOUS AND I WAS LIKE "PLEASE FOLLOW MY EVERY WORD..." and she finally listened and we got back safely...

to say the least we didnt tip her and then we called the company and told them and we got the fee 50 dollars off for the extra trip to Tampa Bay... plus an additional 50 off for our troubles...

I hope you enjoyed that, so be careful!

:king:

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I flew into Orlando Sanford once and it was $100 each way for cab fare (and Sandford is closer than Tampa!). I would plan on about $250 or more for round trip cab fare from Tampa.

Upvote 0

CrisKennedy

Get a rental car. Tampa is way too far to be taking a cab to WDW. You're looking at almost an hour's drive from Tampa to WDW. Trust me...we use to live 2 minutes from TIA, and a rental would be more cost effective plus you'd have the car if you wanted to go somewhere outside WDW (i.e. Universal, Seaworld, etc.)

Upvote 0

MissM

JKovach said:
she then proceeds to turn onto the highway... AND CROSS THE BRIDGE THAT GOES OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO AND INTO TAMPA BAY....
Actually, coming from the airport, you'd hit one of two bridges: Howard Franklin Bridge (I-275) or the Courtney Cambell Causeway (SR 60). Neither go over the Gulf Mexico. No bridges do. The bridges from Tampa into St. Petersburg or Clearwater cross Tampa Bay. The Gulf of Mexico is not only across the Bay but then on the opposite coast (west) of Pinellas County.

Still. Crossing the Bay is about 10 miles one way with of course no U-Turn opprotunities until you reach the other side.

And yeah, you'd definitely want to just rent a car. Just be sure to let them know if you'll be returning it somewhere else. (i.e. Not making a round trip back to TIA.)

TIA to Disney runs you around...oh...70-75 miles I'd estimate.

If you ask for specials (AAA membership helps!) or a compact car you can get rates around $35/day easily.
-m

Upvote 0

JKovach

Account Suspended
MissM said:
Actually, coming from the airport, you'd hit one of two bridges: Howard Franklin Bridge (I-275) or the Courtney Cambell Causeway (SR 60). Neither go over the Gulf Mexico. No bridges do. The bridges from Tampa into St. Petersburg or Clearwater cross Tampa Bay. The Gulf of Mexico is not only across the Bay but then on the opposite coast (west) of Pinellas County.

sorry... i guess i just figured that bit fo water which yes was roughly 10 miles long was part of the gulf of mexico...

you get the point and i hardly find it neccessary to correct on a matter like that... its not like i went to an extreme and said like "she then drove us across the gulf of mexico and into mexico... we actually drove to mexico over the water and back"

that'd be far-fetched, what i said wasn't far fetched

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom