Tame Teacups?

The_CEO

Original Poster
Disneyland purists decry tame teacups in Fantasyland

The Associated Press
Last Updated 8:46 p.m. PST Sunday, February 29, 2004
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -

The teacup ride has turned tame and longtime fans of the Fantasyland attraction are not happy.
The Mad Tea Party ride with 18 giant spinning teacups was recently modified in the name of safety to make it harder for people to spin.

The move has prompted fans of the ride to march to City Hall on Disneyland's Main Street in protest and post hundreds of messages on Internet discussion boards under headings such as "Save the Teacups." There's even talk of holding a spin-in, if they can get the cups twirling.

Purists acknowledge that Disneyland also faces criticism for not paying enough attention to safety, but they see the ride's modification as part of a pattern. They believe the fear of lawsuits is taking some of the fun out of the Magic Kingdom.

"It's like all the good times are over," said annual pass-holder Isaac Martin, 24. "It feels so depressing."

The ride, which was built in 1995 when the park opened, depicts a scene from Alice in Wonderland's "unbirthday party." The teacups have a wheel in the middle that allows riders to spin the cup on its axis, controlling both speed and direction.

The teacups still rotate, but fans said Disneyland has tightened the mechanism so it's impossible to reach dizzying speeds.

"It was like your car steering wheel before you put your key in the ignition - you can't turn it," Martin said. "My arms were a little sore just from tugging and tugging. I finally gave up and said, 'Oh, forget it.'"

Park officials said they made the change after a disabled rider lost his balance last month and slipped from a teacup. The rider did not require medical treatment.

In a written statement, Disneyland officials insist "the ride remains entertaining and exciting for guests of all ages," and say few have complained.

After high-profile accidents and the passage of legislation that empowered state ride inspectors, Disneyland went "safety prevention crazy," said author Dave Koenig, who has written three Disney-related books.

"This is laughable," Koenig said. "They've taken the madness out of the Mad Tea Party. The Disney fan who plays by the rules - who keeps his hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times - has seen his experienced degraded, his thrills cut back little by little each year as Disney tries to foresee potential problems."

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/8363183p-9292913c.html

The_CEO

Original Poster
I would belive it would be done to all of them, considering it was a ' saftey issue '. I won't be wasting my day in line. :)

HMGhost13

this is getting ridiculous.

what's next? get in line for Space Mountain, sit in the car, get bulked in and go five feet before getting back off? "oh, we did it because people were always losing things."

SAVE THE FRIGGIN TEACUPS!

GaryT977

Some falls and everyone else suffers. Ridiculous. If rides are going to dumbed down to this level, what's the point of riding them?

Disney2002

Originally posted by GaryT977
Some falls and everyone else suffers. Ridiculous. If rides are going to dumbed down to this level, what's the point of riding them?

Don't blame Disney. Blame the jerks who will file a lawsuit for anything and everything!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by The_CEO
Park officials said they made the change after a disabled rider lost his balance last month and slipped from a teacup. The rider did not require medical treatment..
One major question - if the disabled person has a balance problem or a grip problem WHY were they allowed to sit next to the exit ?

RU42

I have tried to piece this situation together and unconfirmed reports are:

1) DOSH was not involved with the decision, it was Disney

2) The person may or may not have been disabled; I can't get confirmation either way

3) Regardless, he was not hurt nor threatening to sue Disney

For what I have been able to pull from multiple sources inside and outside the park is that this was a Disney decision 'just in case' someone gets hurt. This is not to be taken as 100% fact; but that is what I have gathered so far. So keep your complaints pouring into City Hall and let Disney know your feelings.

RU

xfkirsten

Yes, definitely go to City Hall and add your complaints! It can't hurt! When I was at DL on Monday, I watched people on the Teacups for awhile. Most people just gave up in frustration when they tried to spin. :(

-Kirsten

GaryT977

Originally posted by xfkirsten
Yes, definitely go to City Hall and add your complaints! It can't hurt! When I was at DL on Monday, I watched people on the Teacups for awhile. Most people just gave up in frustration when they tried to spin. :(

-Kirsten

That kind of frustration really adds magic to the day, doesn't it? Now you've got upset guests, and I guarantee it won't be management who's going to hear it, it'll be the castmembers.

xfkirsten

That kind of frustration really adds magic to the day, doesn't it? Now you've got upset guests, and I guarantee it won't be management who's going to hear it, it'll be the castmembers.

Unfortunately, that's too true. :(

-Kirsten

cherrynegra

There's always an idiot who thinks he can be cool by doing something stupid like standing up in rides, jumping cars, etc, paying no attention to the warnings. :hammer:

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by MrNonacho
That said, has anything been done to WDW's version of the ride?

I doubt anything has changed.... It had something to do with Calfornia's laws regarding amusement/theme park safety, I think... It doesn't affect WDW :animwink:

xfkirsten

Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
I doubt anything has changed.... It had something to do with Calfornia's laws regarding amusement/theme park safety, I think... It doesn't affect WDW :animwink:

Actually, it had nothing to do with California's laws. In fact, DL was not specifically told to make changes - they did it on their own, probably as a preemptive strike against lawsuits.

-Kirsten

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom