T-Rex Downtown disney

Terry Gould

Original Poster
We are taking our first Disney vacation and my kids want to go to t-rex. Wanted to know how good this place is and how hard is it to get into, we are coming July 13th to 18. Thanks for any help.

Redsky89

I've never eaten there so take my words with a grain of salt but I hear the food is just ok. Its like eating at rain forest cafe but with Dinosaurs.

RoyWalley

We are taking our first Disney vacation and my kids want to go to t-rex. Wanted to know how good this place is and how hard is it to get into, we are coming July 13th to 18. Thanks for any help.

The food is very good. You & your kids will love the atmosphere . Your talking mid July when the parks will be packed so I would suggest getting a reservation ASAP.

Open the link to check out their menu:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney/t-rex/menus/

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome to WDWMAGIC!

The interior theming is well done - huge appeal for kids.

It is very noisy, so don't expect a lot of conversation.

Food is OK, somewhat like you would find at a chain restaurant such as Chili's or TGI. I would say the place is more about the theme than the food.

tlev

We love T-Rex. It is a must for us every trip. I have a 7 year old daughter and it is one of her favorite places to eat. The food is good, nothing too fancy, just typical chain restaurant food. The service has always been great for us. As the others have mentioned, it is VERY noisy especially with the periodic meteor showers that occur. You should definitely try it. We've never had trouble getting in, but from what I understand they only give Disney a certain number of reservations. So if you can't book it through Disney call the restaurant directly for a reservation. The place is HUGE and can accommadate alot of people.

rufio

The food is actually MUCH better than Rainforest! I've been to Rainforest Cafe once and T-Rex...more than once. The food is excellent, the theming is excellent, though I agree with @wdwmagic that it's very loud, especially when the dinosaurs start acting up! ;) Definitely go ahead and make an ADR. I know you can walk up, but the wait is often hours long. You could also go during "off" hours (maybe 2-3pm) if you didn't want a reservation for some reason.

lunchbox1175

If you have restaurants in your area that are owned by Landry's, then I recommend that you get their "Landry's Select Card".....this way you won't need a reservation. You just present the card when you check in and get moved to the top of the list.

kasey1988

We really enjoyed our meal here, I agree that it is very loud tho. If you can't get a reservation you can call the restaurant directly as they only release so many to disney

RubyLee

Definitely make reservations as the line can be long. If you have a preference to section, you can request on the phone.

IMO the food is good but a bit over priced. However if you have kids in you're group, it's a must do! Our group took tons of pics & made time to walk through the whole place because the kids wanted to see it all! We've been to Rainforest before but they loved T Rex much more!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's pretty cool in there. My kids loved it. Especially the meteor shower when all the dinosaurs move around. Definitely worth checking out.

I've never eaten there so take my words with a grain of salt but I hear the food is just ok. Its like eating at rain forest cafe but with Dinosaurs.
This is true. It's even run by the same company Landry's. Very similar menu and style of food.
to get a ressie at T-Rex, call them directly. you can get times easily that way but thru Disney dining there will be no availability
This is very true. We went one year and the latest time we could get through Disney was a 4:30 ADR for 5. We tried to add another person later through Disney and they said we couldn't. No big deal, but when we got there half the restaurant was empty and they were taking walkins. Still taking walk ins at 6PM when we left.

Bparso87

The food is good if u go in thinking it is like a Fridays quality of food. But the food is priced fair compared to other restaurants in Disney so paying out of pocket this is a good choice. Not sure I would eat there if I was on DDP not sure u would get ur money's worth.

Terry Gould

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help, I called the restaurant directly for a reservation and got one for our trip in July, I have been trying with Disney dining and there was nothing or thanks again for the help

Bparso87

Thanks for all the help, I called the restaurant directly for a reservation and got one for our trip in July, I have been trying with Disney dining and there was nothing or thanks again for the help
Not sure why that is u can get walk ups most of the time but not be able to get it through disney

MMlvr

My husband and I ate there last trip. It was okay food nothing out of this world but ok. Yes it is much like Rain forest cafe but they have meteor showers instead of a thunderstorm .

PUSH

I think the food is superior to Rainforest Cafe. I've been to both places multiple times. The theming is great, but very noisy as others have said. All of our servers have been great and friendly.

I would make a reservation for it, since you're going during the busy summer months. You're able to make walk-up reservations, but sometimes they can be very long. We've had anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour wait during spring break crowds.

McDad

A tip we've used 3 times . The day we get ready to go home, we load up the car, check out of our hotel (pop , allstar sports and the Seaworld springhill suites) and head over to downtown. Walk up to Trex right at opening 11:00 pm. We walked right in all 3 times. We order two large deserts and my wife and I shared with our two kids. We were able to enjoy the atmosphere without the wait and for around $25 for the deserts 4 sodas and a tip. Plan on making a new family tradition!

Phonedave

The food is actually MUCH better than Rainforest! I've been to Rainforest Cafe once and T-Rex...more than once. The food is excellent, the theming is excellent, though I agree with @wdwmagic that it's very loud, especially when the dinosaurs start acting up! ;) Definitely go ahead and make an ADR. I know you can walk up, but the wait is often hours long. You could also go during "off" hours (maybe 2-3pm) if you didn't want a reservation for some reason.

I would not go so far as to call the food "excellent", but everything else you said is spot on. I do not like the food at Rainforest Cafe at all (having eaten multiple times in multiple Rainforest Cafes - I guess I never learn). I was plesantly suprised by the food at T-Rex. I was expecting Rainforest with Dinosaurs, but the food was actualy decent - both times I have eaten there.

The walk up wait can be long, or it can be 10 minutes, depends on the time of day and time of year (and the weather).

Make a reservation, or get a Landry's card (which is also a Morton's VIP card now as well, which does get you some nice bonuses. It's nice to be able to walk into Morton's on a busy night without a reservation, get the next table, and then be offered a free cordial. At least thats how the old Morton's VIP card worked. Now that it is "Landrys-ized" they make have dumbed it down.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom