Swiss Village in Fantasyland?

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
Fantasyland needs more attractions. The Storybook Circus area was half baked and needs some draw to lead crowds out (when they eventually get bigger again).

So I was thinking, maybe they could add a Casey Jr dark ride. Then I thought of an even more elaborate idea. What if they redo the area into a classy Swiss Alps Village? They could make the area where the big circus tents (big top) occupy into a little complex with a Pinocchio dark ride, a new Village Haus, and a Gepetto gift shop. On the other side, where Barnstormer is, they could make a new type of Matterhorn. The polka style music synonymous with Disneyland’s Fantasyland and the current Village Haus could play, giving the Plaza a classy feel.

Only question is how to reposition Dumbo?

What do you think about this idea?

What would you do to fix up Storybook Circus? Make it feel less cheap and more essential to a guest’s trip?

DashHaber

Fantasyland needs more attractions. The Storybook Circus area was half baked and needs some draw to lead crowds out (when they eventually get bigger again).

So I was thinking, maybe they could add a Casey Jr dark ride. Then I thought of an even more elaborate idea. What if they redo the area into a classy Swiss Alps Village? They could make the area where the big circus tents (big top) occupy into a little complex with a Pinocchio dark ride, a new Village Haus, and a Gepetto gift shop. On the other side, where Barnstormer is, they could make a new type of Matterhorn. The polka style music synonymous with Disneyland’s Fantasyland and the current Village Haus could play, giving the Plaza a classy feel.

Only question is how to reposition Dumbo?

What do you think about this idea?

What would you do to fix up Storybook Circus? Make it feel less cheap and more essential to a guest’s trip?
A Swiss village is an interesting area. I could also see perhaps a Victorian-era town, something that has a slightly more modern (yet still old-timey) feel in contrast to the Castle Courtyard and woodsy nature of the Enchanted Forest.

That way, you could keep Dumbo in its place, presented as if the circus were visiting this town.

ElvisMickey

Easy get rid of Storybook Canal, and you have Arendelle.

How about no. We don’t need Frozen shoved down our throats anymore than it already has. Disney has a treasure trove of movies and characters going back to the 1920s. Start incorporating more of those instead of the latest flavor of the month. Crackhead Mickey in Runaway Railway doesn’t count. The parks are turning into Igerland.

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

How about no. We don’t need Frozen shoved down our throats anymore than it already has. Disney has a treasure trove of movies and characters going back to the 1920s. Start incorporating more of those instead of the latest flavor of the month. Crackhead Mickey in Runaway Railway doesn’t count. The parks are turning into Igerland.
Don’t be a jelly.

JokersWild

To play devil’s advocate, there’s a treasure trove of movies and characters from the last ten/ twenty years that Disney hasn’t given proper representation to in the parks either. I’m not a massive fan of Frozen either, but to say that Disney shouldn’t be using some of their most financially successful properties just because Walt wasn’t involved is totally dismissive of a lot of the more recent properties. Of course the parks are no longer technically “Disneyland” if you’re going by your obtuse definition of the word. Walt Disney hasn’t been involved with Disney since 1966.

Getting back to the topic, I’d be very interested to see a Swiss village. Dumbo wouldn’t fit perfectly, but it could certainly be made to work. What I’d like to see more is a Matterhorn complex with a larger coaster and maybe a Storybookland-type water ride. I’d love to see a proper village surrounding The Matterhorn and the Storybook Circus plot is a great place to do that.

ElvisMickey

To play devil’s advocate, there’s a treasure trove of movies and characters from the last ten/ twenty years that Disney hasn’t given proper representation to in the parks either. I’m not a massive fan of Frozen either, but to say that Disney shouldn’t be using some of their most financially successful properties just because Walt wasn’t involved is totally dismissive of a lot of the more recent properties. Of course the parks are no longer technically “Disneyland” if you’re going by your obtuse definition of the word. Walt Disney hasn’t been involved with Disney since 1966.

Getting back to the topic, I’d be very interested to see a Swiss village. Dumbo wouldn’t fit perfectly, but it could certainly be made to work. What I’d like to see more is a Matterhorn complex with a larger coaster and maybe a Storybookland-type water ride. I’d love to see a proper village surrounding The Matterhorn and the Storybook Circus plot is a great place to do that.

I never said that they shouldn’t do it. The issue is that they have and they’ve done it to the point of overkill while also ripping out numerous classics that people loved and replacing them with, again, whatever is popular right now. There needs to be a balance. Also, I’m not necessarily talking about ONLY Walt’s films. There were some amazing films made between 1966, when Walt passed away and the end of Eisner’s tenure that have no representation.

Last edited:

Miru

The “Swiss” feeling to this area? Maybe call it “Peace Village” to add more appeal and fun to it? And I’d prefer to look into less-represented movies/franchises for the attractions and other areas that come up, as has been mentioned. Oswald should FINALLY get a ride; wasn’t there a short with him in the Alps?

Brer Oswald

Original Poster
The “Swiss” feeling to this area? Maybe call it “Peace Village” to add more appeal and fun to it? And I’d prefer to look into less-represented movies/franchises for the attractions and other areas that come up, as has been mentioned. Oswald should FINALLY get a ride; wasn’t there a short with him in the Alps?
Alpine Antics. But it was a post Disney cartoon. I agree, he deserves an attraction. Not sure if this would be the location, but it’d be cool.

Miru

I never said that they shouldn’t do it. The issue is that they have and they’ve done it to the point of overkill while also ripping out numerous classics that people loved and replacing them with, again, whatever is popular right now. There needs to be a balance. Also, I’m not necessarily talking about ONLY Walt’s films. There were some amazing films made between 1966, when Walt passed away and the end of Eisner’s tenure that have no representation.
Especially between 1966 and the start of Eisner’s tenure, for that matter. Not to mention most of their television shows and ALL their video games having no representation...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom