Swapping Magic Bands Within My Genie+ Group?

MrGalactic

Original Poster
If I buy Genie+ for all four people in my party, do the cast members and/or lightning lane system discriminate between who's wearing which magic band when that person scans in at the Lightning Lane entrances?

For Example:

My wife and kid #1 book a lightning lane for Barnstormer at Noon, kid #2 is scared and not interested but when Noon rolls around Kid 2 decides they aren't scared anymore and they DO want to ride Barnstormer. Can my wife just swap bands with Kid 2 so Kid 2 can ride with Kid 1? All four of us paid for Genie+ so I don't see why this would be an issue.

Obviously it's not a dealbreaker but anyone with kids knows you have to be flexible. We're hoping we can swap bands on the fly if needed.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

That's fine (assuming Kid 1 is old enough to be Kid 2's chaperone, I believe the minimum age is 14).

You may or may not be able to do this with Virtual Queues at Guardians and Tron, however. My understanding is that tapping in for one person burns the boarding group for your whole party, as opposed to G+ LLs, which are per individual.

MrGalactic

Original Poster
That's fine (assuming Kid 1 is old enough to be Kid 2's chaperone, I believe the minimum age is 14).

You may or may not be able to do this with Virtual Queues at Guardians and Tron, however. My understanding is that tapping in for one person burns the boarding group for your whole party, as opposed to G+ LLs, which are per individual.
Thanks Captain! Your reply brings up another question which hadn't occurred to me. Our kids are under the age of 14. If i use an LL for my kid to ride the Teacups (probably not necessary but just an example) They won't be allowed to get in line without me because they're under 14? Even if I'm standing there with them at the entrance? Oh man, if I need to burn my own LL just to walk my kid into a kiddie ride that's a bummer.

CaptainAmerica

Thanks Captain! Your reply brings up another question which hadn't occurred to me. Our kids are under the age of 14. If i use an LL for my kid to ride the Teacups (probably not necessary but just an example) They won't be allowed to get in line without me because they're under 14? Even if I'm standing there with them at the entrance? Oh man, if I need to burn my own LL just to walk my kid into a kiddie ride that's a bummer.
Kids between 7 and 14 can ride together, but the older kid has to be 14+ to accompany someone under 7.

But I think you're misunderstanding the Genie+ strategy. You should really be booking LLs for your whole party, with very few exceptions. Why wouldn't you just book a LL for all of you in this scenario? Riding Mad Tea Party with your kids doesn't burn a LL that you could use for Big Thunder Mountain, for example.

Have you been to Disney before? There's nothing that's so "kiddie" that I would recommend parents skip entirely.

nickys

Premium Member
To enter a park a child under 14 needs to be with someone aged 14 or over.

When it comes to rides, children aged 7 or older can ride without an adult, so two children over 7 can ride together.

A child under 7 has to ride with someone aged 14+

MrGalactic

Original Poster
Kids between 7 and 14 can ride together, but the older kid has to be 14+ to accompany someone under 7.

But I think you're misunderstanding the Genie+ strategy. You should really be booking LLs for your whole party, with very few exceptions. Why wouldn't you just book a LL for all of you in this scenario? Riding Mad Tea Party with your kids doesn't burn a LL that you could use for Big Thunder Mountain, for example.

Have you been to Disney before? There's nothing that's so "kiddie" that I would recommend parents skip entirely.
Okay yeah i was misunderstanding the chaperone comment. Thanks for your patience, clarifying.

And agreed! Usually we all ride together. Occasionally they like to ride together without us but we only allow this on rides where the entrance ride and exit are all visible to us at all times. So that was my concern about them being in line without us. My original concern was the on-the-fly changes that you just don't know about far enough ahead. ANother example of it is if my wife and kid 1 want to ride a ride me and kid 2 don't want to ride, well then my wife has one too many dole whips and now i need to ride it with kid 1, so her and i just swap bands....is someone really gonna stop me and say WHOA buddy, you're not the owner of this magic band?

We've been to Disney twice before having kids. This will be our first time taking the kids. They're six year old twins. We're super-excited but we're keeping it a secret from them until the morning of our flights!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No

Nope, VQs are linked to the individual (not the group as a whole). We traveled with a 2 year old on our recent trip (who is obviously too small to ride) and multiple times on Tron or Guardians we had half the group go (while the other half went off to ride attractions with the 2 yr old), then when the first group was done, the other half went. Could have easily swapped Magic Bands if there were some from one group that didn't want to ride.

Last edited:

mousefan1972

Okay yeah i was misunderstanding the chaperone comment. Thanks for your patience, clarifying.

And agreed! Usually we all ride together. Occasionally they like to ride together without us but we only allow this on rides where the entrance ride and exit are all visible to us at all times. So that was my concern about them being in line without us. My original concern was the on-the-fly changes that you just don't know about far enough ahead. ANother example of it is if my wife and kid 1 want to ride a ride me and kid 2 don't want to ride, well then my wife has one too many dole whips and now i need to ride it with kid 1, so her and i just swap bands....is someone really gonna stop me and say WHOA buddy, you're not the owner of this magic band?

We've been to Disney twice before having kids. This will be our first time taking the kids. They're six year old twins. We're super-excited but we're keeping it a secret from them until the morning of our flights!
If the twins will still be 6 at the time of your trip, they will be unable to ride together. Kids under age 7 must ride with someone 14 or over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom