Surprised with the changes

rdominelli

Original Poster
We are DVC members and this is our first year back to WDW after a 8 years of doing other adventures. Our youngest is now 5 and we thought this would be a great first year for her.

I am a little disappointed in the overall drop in quality. Disney always amazed me at how they kept their rides as new looking. This year, I see peeling wallpaper (Phillarmagic) and chipped paint everywhere. On its a small world about 5% of the lights up front were out.

The cast members seem a little downtrodden as well. About 1/4 seem preoccupied, one even seemed annoyed that I interupted her checking her text messages to ask how long before the Tiki room started. My wife and I always used to joke that they pumped happy gas into the employee lounges, but not this time out.

It seems that a little bit of the magic has faded. Anyone else notice this?

Rich from NY

Roxas

I've visited 8 times since 1995 and haven't noticed a drop in quality, then again I was 4 on my first trip so my recollection may be innaccurate.

nybound

I've read this sentiment from several other people, and personally I have not seen it.

If anything my recent experiences have been better than the ones I had many years ago. There is more to do, and now I get to share in the excitement my kids have going to Disney.

On my most recent trip in July, I had several very nice conversations with cast members. It always reminds me why I enjoy going.

I'm sure I could list several things that annoyed me or were less than perfect, but they don't outweigh the total amount of fun I have when I'm there.

I don't know, maybe I'm lucky (or Disney is now pumping the happy gas into my hotel room).

DisneyJoe

I've been visiting twice a year since 2006 and once a year before that since 2001, and we are pleasantly (and sometimes extremely) surprised each and every trip with how great things are - pleasant CM's, great and well maintained rides, good food, good bus service, clean rooms.

I visit the parks about twice a year (on average) and haven't run across any CM issues. They always seem really happy to be at work and are always helpful.

That being said, I have noticed maintenance oversights here and there throughout the MK and EPCOT. Some are to be expected -- afterall maintaining those parks has to be a monumental undertaking. But some are just downright annoying! For instance the last time I was in EPCOT (this past Jan.) I noticed that about half of the tower mounted speakers outside of the America Gardens theater were malfunctioning or outright blown.:( Most folks may not notice such a thing, but I'm an audio engineer and such things tend to drive me crazy!

At ant rate, the maintenance crew needs to be commended for only letting the little things slip through -- as stated before, maintenance of the property is a pretty huge undertaking.:)

EPCOT Explorer

I've noticed changes with the CM's(Pin Trader's in DTD-What a miserable group!LOL) but not really in the attracitons/upkeep.

EPCOT looked STUNNING a week ago.

bgraham34

I have noticed a little change. But also when the parks are less crowded they CM's are much happier and dont forget the heat is gonna get to them. But overall with younger kids working today I notice no matter where they are they dont feel like they want to work or think they are better than you. I have been to places recently and asked a question and younger kids seemed very annoyed like I bothered them.

As for paint chipping they can't keep up on everything, thats why they close an attraction for maintenance.

EPCOT Explorer

I have noticed a little change. But also when the parks are less crowded they CM's are much happier and dont forget the heat is gonna get to them. But overall with younger kids working today I notice no matter where they are they dont feel like they want to work or think they are better than you. I have been to places recently and asked a question and younger kids seemed very annoyed like I bothered them.

As for paint chipping they can't keep up on everything, thats why they close an attraction for maintenance.

I think that's the biggest factor....Heat was HORRIBLE.

Heck, the only reason I was happy was because I was in WDW.:lol::king:

devoy1701

I agree. I can talk to the CM at the Information board outside of Casey's for 15 minutes when the parks aren't crowded catching up on random park info and whatnot...but when the parks are jam packed, they usually only answer a single question and walk over to someone else or start looking around to see if anyone is looking confused...

Though I do resent your last statement...not really...but I do ask you to mind your generalization. I've been working since I started volunteering my time at 13, because a volunteer shift manager and ran a fundraiser raisine over 10k at the local little league at 16. and have been working in an office since 17 while going to school. But i know I'm a rare breed. :D I just love working! Makes me feel useful!

No harm done though!

hpyhnt 1000

Overall, I guess you could argue that there has been a slight drop in qulaity. My parents always say that every time we go. I have notice that from time to time, some bathrooms aren't as clean as they should be, or in some areas, the landscaping isn't as neat and perfect as I remember it. But I don't recall anything like chiped paint or peeling wallpaper.

I can support the facade lights on IASW being out, and yes, it does bother me as well. I just don't understand why someone can't take an hour after the park closes everyday to fix the ones that have burnt out. How hard could it be? (probably shouldn't have asked that :lol:) But it sounds like you were there just before lighting arrived to fix them. I'm sure if you went back a week later, you'd find they were fixed.

As for the CMs, its summer, its hot, its crowded. So much as we think they're not, they are human. Some manage to show that Disney spirit better than others. However, if that CM was texting in a guest area, that seems a little out of line to me. :shrug:

bgraham34

Though I do resent your last statement...not really...but I do ask you to mind your generalization. I've been working since I started volunteering my time at 13, because a volunteer shift manager and ran a fundraiser raisine over 10k at the local little league at 16. and have been working in an office since 17 while going to school. But i know I'm a rare breed. :D I just love working! Makes me feel useful!

No harm done though!

Being 33 now I definately see that kids are lazier than in the past. It could also be the area I live in NJ. Don't get me wrong some kids are hard workers and if I do see one I will let the manager know or corporate office. But overall I see less people as being helpful.

PurpleDragon

First and foremost let me say, if you look for problems you will aways find them. That being said, WDW is not always going to be in pristine shape, with day to day operations and the economy the way it is, maybe a piece of peeling wallpaper in some random queue on a ride is not a priority, maybe having every bathroom so clean you could eat off the floor is not a huge priority. Maybe keeping the parks in working order when the attendance is near capacity everyday, is more of a priority.

I'm sure during the off peak seasons they take the time to fix the small things (i.e. peeling wallpaper, fresh coat of paint, etc...). I think more than anything, people go into WDW with super high expectations, often times going off of faded memories of their first visit years ago. Its not uncommon for peoples memories to get skewed and cause them to have urealistic expectations when they return to WDW. This often leads to disappointment because the super high expectations were not met and thus disappointment sets in, which in turn ruins the magic for those involved.

Remember back to your first visit, what made it magical? What made it so great? It was not knowing what to expect, going in with no preconcieved ideas of how things should be, no expectations at all. Without expectations, you allow yourself to be open to magical moments and happy memories. The moment you begin to think "this isn't how I remember it", you have already shut yourself off and are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

So lesson here is, never go to WDW with any sort of rediculously high expectations, instead go in with an open mind and carefree spirit, I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised. :D

I have experiences to support both sides of this discussion. First, on most visits since 2001 we have noticed a slip in the general cleanliness of the parks. But when I discovered a particularly disgusting bathroom (details omitted) outside ABC commisary, the cast member I reported it to was horrified and apologetic.
As for the CMs themselves, it helps keep things in perspective if you visit other theme parks, etc., where employees are often distracted, unknowledgable or even rude. Even during a trip to DL last year I was stunned to hear two street cleaners using very foul language while walking down Main Street--horrifying. In light of all this, I must say the the CMs at WDW are exceptional, 9 times out of 10!

rdominelli

Original Poster
Just to clarify a few things, we normally go in august usually in the first couple of weeks of the month so I am comparing august to august.

Your right about looking for problems, but I have to say, this time out they chased me down not the other way around. Disney had always been nearly supernatural in its attention to detail, upkeep and cleanliness. Not this time out. Aside from the other issues, there was also an issue with the great movie rides sound system. The mike kept cutting out so the conductor (and bugsy) could not give their lines reliably. I watched after we got off, and they just loaded it up with the next group which was disappointing.

We still had a great time, and on the whole I would rate it far superior with maintenance then other parks, just not to the same degree as it used to be. My concern is whether this represents a trend or an aberration. The parks are huge, and keeping up with them is an epic task, but they used to manage it better than they did this time out.

Rich in NY

DisneyWall-E

sorry you didnt have the greatist time. but I also have noticed things that are not as magical as I remember but I beleave that if you look for the negative in everything you will find it. I just ignore the bad stuff while I'm at the World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom