Summer 07

Chris K

Hi folks my first post on here for a while, i'm on the verge of booking a trip to wdw for June 23rd 2007 for me and my girlfriend, a long way off I know but looking for some advice. This will be our first trip to disney with just the two of us, we were over last summer with my parents but we have always stayed offsite, we are planning in staying at all star movies. any info on this hotel would be appreciated.
One thing that will be very different for us will be dining, we have previously eaten either in a villa or we have had transport to eat out, however we will be reliant on disney transport and taxis so was wanting some recommendations for good restaraunts around disney. Ive heard california grill is good and would also like to book a meal at cinderellas castle, does anyone have any idea how I would book something like this quite far in advance.
Really looking forward to being over for independence day again, last year was brill, we were at mk on the 3rd and epcot on the 4th and both shows were spectacular.
anyone with any tips on things like romantic meals and things to do around disney would be greatly appreciated, I dont know if its more difficult to book things like this living in the uk.
anyway time to start saving for the big trip.
thanks folks
Chris K

pescador1f

okay

it's a nice hotel, for the price, the theming is awsome. the food court is nothing spectacular, but it is okay for a quick bite. buy a souvenir mug, they are so well worth the price ($11.99) for free refills coming and going to the parks. the bar is okay, decent selction, when its time to wind down after all day in the heat and in the parks. the only drawback is the busses at times, going it's the last stop & mostly crowded, but coming back is just as exciting. what i always did was try to stay in the mighty ducks wing(it has a pool, and seems more set away from the chaos of the main pool area) you can always get off your bus at all star music and walk back as opposed to waiting at the music stop, it is faster to walk. the mighty ducks end and all star music are so close so you could always use their bus stops, i think it helps a bit. if you are looking for the value resorts, you might want to try POP Century, i stayed at movies and POP last year and i think i would go with POP again, mostly for the buses & perhaps a better food court.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Sounds like you're in the same situation as me. I'll be honeymooning with my (soon to be) bride next January. I've never gone without my parents and we're always stayed offsite as well. We're staying onsite and will be reliant on Disney transportation too.

All of your dining reservations can be made starting 180 days before your trip (12/25/2006 for your planned 6/23/2007 arrival date). I've heard good things about CG and CRT. LeCellier Steakhouse in Canada is popular. Another fun dining location is the 50's Prime Time Cafe at the Disney MGM Studios.

As far as hotel, if you don't have your heart set on ASM, I would recommend Pop Century. Like pescador1f above, I've heard that POP seems to edge out the rest of the value resorts. In addition to a better foodcourt and better bus transportation, it also has a lower tax rate, so that can save you a few dollars.

As for romantic activities, you can't go wrong with a walk along the beach at the Polynesian at sunset or during Wishes. They also have horsedrawn carriage rides at Port Orleans Riverside. Do some searching on this site. There are tons of threads with awesome romantic ideas.

Enjoy your trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

Agent1964fem

We are planning on going in July-Aug 2007. We'll probably be staying at the Port Orleans Riverside. It is a romantic place...plus the boat ride to Downtown Disney is really relaxing.

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Agent1964fem said:
We are planning on going in July-Aug 2007. We'll probably be staying at the Port Orleans Riverside. It is a romantic place...plus the boat ride to Downtown Disney is really relaxing.
That's what we decided to do for our honeymoon. I've heard from MANY people that the resort is very romantic. And being college students, we don't really have enough money to spring for a deluxe at this point. Maybe in a few years :)

Upvote 0
Chris K said:
Hi folks my first post on here for a while, i'm on the verge of booking a trip to wdw for June 23rd 2007 for me and my girlfriend, a long way off I know but looking for some advice. This will be our first trip to disney with just the two of us, we were over last summer with my parents but we have always stayed offsite, we are planning in staying at all star movies. any info on this hotel would be appreciated.
One thing that will be very different for us will be dining, we have previously eaten either in a villa or we have had transport to eat out, however we will be reliant on disney transport and taxis so was wanting some recommendations for good restaraunts around disney. Ive heard california grill is good and would also like to book a meal at cinderellas castle, does anyone have any idea how I would book something like this quite far in advance.
Really looking forward to being over for independence day again, last year was brill, we were at mk on the 3rd and epcot on the 4th and both shows were spectacular.
anyone with any tips on things like romantic meals and things to do around disney would be greatly appreciated, I dont know if its more difficult to book things like this living in the uk.
anyway time to start saving for the big trip.
thanks folks
Chris K

Looking for a truly Magical Disney experience? Live it up one time. Stay at either the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian. Both of which you can get a major discount if you have an annual pass. You can get up to $133 off each night which will pay for your spouses ticket and yours too! The annual pass will also get you discounted food at some restaurants. After the $133/night, youll pay about $269/night. And, the way the exchange rate is now, it is a great deal!

We have stayed in both of these hotels and stay in one or the other everytime we visit WDW-I have stayed since 1975. We have gone so far as to sell homemade candies, t-shirts, and many other things to raise money to stay in these resorts. They are only minutes to the MK & Epcot. Trust me. You will never regret the money you spend. Very well worth the trip.

Josh

Upvote 0

Chris K

Original Poster
right I think I have made a decision, we are hoping to go to POR as we have had a quote that is only £300 more than the allstars, would have really liked to go to AKL but just wouldnt be able to find the extra £1500 needed. So has anyone got any useful info on POR, ive read the reviews on here and it sounds a really nice resort, does it have a lot of disney theming, what are the buses like and which is the best part to stay in? im swaying toward magnolia buildings at the moment. thanks again folks,

Chris

Upvote 0

hansel1

Chris, we just got back from our honeymoon in january. We stayed in building 28 of alligator bayou in POR. Originally we had wanted to stay in the mansion section but we didn't get our request. After staying in AB, i have no desire to stay in the mansion section. AB feels intimate and is very quiet. You are surrounded by lush vegetation and numerous quiet pools. My advice would be to book a KING BED room. In AB section the king bed rooms are on the corners of the building and usually have two windows which make the room feel larger. From building 28 the walk to the food court and south bus depot was short (3-5 minutes taking your time) but if you would like closer you may want building 14 or 15.

You might want to look at a map of the property to better get an idea of where everything is located.

Also, if you are planning on having dinner at the castle you might want to try disney's dining plan. We used it and saved lots of money on what we would have ordered without it. On your honeymoon you will definately want to try a few of the sit-down restaurants and they can be costly.

The transportation is great. We thought about renting a car until we saw how efficient the busses and boat were. Plus it was relaxing not having to drive and figure out where you needed to go.

p.s. Epcot is very romantic at night.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Definitely go with the dining plan, it is well worth the $38 per adult/per day. I love POR, but I like the mansion section better and they have quiet pools too. I suggestion you contact Pam/Marie at Kingdom Konsultants, they can advise you on everything, including any special romantic ideas, such as carriage rides at POR, as well as booking your trip too.

Upvote 0

eroyee

Por

:wave: POR is great. Mansion side is the best in our opinion. Riding the boats to DTD is fun. You can walk all around the resort and on over to POFQ if you want to. You can also use their pool. Theres a piano bar in POR inside Boatwrights. Thats fun at night, along with the carriage rides. You can also have Disney florist send flowers to your room if you want to. Hope this helps and have a magical trip. we will be back Jan. 2007. 8 Long months!!:brick:

Upvote 0

Jayhawkie

I would definitely suggest that you stay at the Poly for your honeymoon. You can make your reservations now, pay your deposit and then just make monthly payments to your room. Just make a copy of your room reservation and send a payment every so often or as much as you like. That way your trip is paid for before you get there. Also, buy the MM top hat and the MN bride ears to wear around. Most Disney castmembers will acknowledge you in some way to make your stay special. You can also tell Disney that you are on your honeymoon and pay for extras that they may have to offer. Congrats!!!!! I don't think that it is crazy to plan early, my family and I are going in Oct/Nov 2007 and are making our reservations in July. Congrats!!!!

Upvote 0

Chris K

Original Poster
cheers for all the tips guys although this is not actually our honeymoon, we arent married yet, hopefully that will take less planning!
I think im pretty much sold on POR now, ive heard loads of good things about it and it seems perfect for us, payday on monday so will put our deposit down then 13 long months to wait!

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

Jayhawkie said:
You can make your reservations now, pay your deposit and then just make monthly payments to your room. Just make a copy of your room reservation and send a payment every so often or as much as you like.

I would actually suggest, that instead of making monthly payments to Disney before your trip, make payments to a savings account (such as one through ingDirect or hsbcdirect). That way you can earn intrest on your money, then pay when you get there and you'll have some extra money to spend while you're there! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Chris K

Original Poster
that's what we are doing, use A&L though 10% interest! Anyway its all booked now, staying at POR from 23rd June 07 til 7th July 07, ive requested a room in the mansion section, not really too bothered as long as we are close to food court or bus stop.
cant believe we have a 13 month wait, need some ideas to pass the time!
Any UK visitors out there I would highly reccommend using travelcitydirect, they are far cheaper than any other travel agents and we used the discount to upgrade our flight :animwink:
now just got to decide on our dining preferences and hopefully get through as it will be an expensive call otherwise.
cheers for all the help guys

Chris

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom