Suggestions/opinions please?

cw1982

Original Poster
One thing I'm really having a hard time with is wrapping my brain around the idea of having a bunch of ADR's for a trip that's still over two months out. Part of this, I think, stems from the fact that I'm not sure how much time we realistically will want to spend at sit-down restaurants when we know we have so many things we want to make sure we get to do in terms of attractions. Honestly, the biggest thing I'd like to ensure is that we get to spend the first part of our trip figuring out what our favorites are at each park and then try and come up with a plan for our last couple of days (a Thursday and Friday) that will allow us to hop between the four parks and revisit those favorites again before we leave. We have six days worth of park hoppers, so on that front it seems doable.

Other factors/notations:
1) we do have reservations for Rainforest Café (since several friends of mine said it's pretty good) and Planet Hollywood (since our package is supposed to come with a coupon lol... although I figured DH and I will probably want to check out DTD anyway, so why not eat there?). They are on the same day... RFC is a late lunch and PH is a late dinner, since we generally stay up late.
2) I am keeping an eye out to see if I get any kind of access to FP+ for BOG lunch just because I think it would be a cool place to go. Friends have raved about the dinner experience, but I can't see paying that much for food that doesn't sound that appealing to me, and honestly the lunch menu looks like it will fit our tastes better than the dinner would anyway.
3) we don't have any children, so it will just be us for the most part (although we do have friends who will be down at the same time and other friends who have AP's, so we will probably end up making plans with them for that Friday evening... presumably at Epcot since they have the evening EMH that day)
4) DH and I tend to be night owls and not enjoy getting up too early, especially on vacation. Given that information, I'm not sure we'll be doing much (if any) rope dropping.

Given that information, my instinct says to lay off the ADR's for other meals for now and plan to do mostly QS and snacks that we will be bringing in with us... to the vets, does that sound like a good plan, or do you think we will regret not having planned for more ADR's?

KatMaria

The only good thing about ADRS is eating where you want to and not worrying about a wait. But if your not a planner then your fine. Also you can book reservations when u get there, just might have less options on times. Pop has a concierge that can help you with finding dinning reservations if you happen to go there and find a place you just have to eat at. Quick service is great at Disney, i happen to like Quick Service a little bit more than sit down places sometimes lol

mammaminnie

Also, most TS restaurants have pretty late reservation options for dinner. I personally like having ADR's, even when it's just my husband and I, because it's one less thing to worry about when I am actually on vacation. I already know where to show up and when. Not to mention, I can manage my lunch and snacks based on what I expect from the meal (Definitely less on Ohana days!).

cw1982

Original Poster
The only good thing about ADRS is eating where you want to and not worrying about a wait. But if your not a planner then your fine. Also you can book reservations when u get there, just might have less options on times. Pop has a concierge that can help you with finding dinning reservations if you happen to go there and find a place you just have to eat at. Quick service is great at Disney, i happen to like Quick Service a little bit more than sit down places sometimes lol

Thanks! Honestly, considering that DH and I tend to like to eat later than most, I think we might stand a better chance of being able to get reservations last minute... especially since there are only two of us... but I really don't think we're going to discover anything we're going to be upset about missing. I just wanted to get opinions from others before I started focusing more on other aspects of the trip. Part of the issue is that DH only haphazardly glances at the list of restaurants and won't give me much feedback in the way of places he wants to go... he insists he'll be happy if I'm happy. I'd just hate to get down there and him end up disappointed (but like I said... I don't think that's likely; it was just a thought).

KatMaria

Thanks! Honestly, considering that DH and I tend to like to eat later than most, I think we might stand a better chance of being able to get reservations last minute... especially since there are only two of us... but I really don't think we're going to discover anything we're going to be upset about missing. I just wanted to get opinions from others before I started focusing more on other aspects of the trip. Part of the issue is that DH only haphazardly glances at the list of restaurants and won't give me much feedback in the way of places he wants to go... he insists he'll be happy if I'm happy. I'd just hate to get down there and him end up disappointed (but like I said... I don't think that's likely; it was just a thought).
Men. They will never help any woman plan a vacation. Heck I had to drag my boyfriend into Trails End at the Campgrounds because he hated the thought of going into a real restaurant. 6 plates later, he was begging to come back! If you and your DH love country-style food (bbq, chicken, mashed potatoes etc) I would suggest Trails End. Its an amazing buffet for Dinner, you really don't need reservations ( you can pretty much book same day res if you needed to anyways). Trails End is at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds, a boat ride from Magic Kingdom. So if your really hungry at MK and want to just eat for days, Trails End is an amazing place to eat. And then you can get back on the boat and go back to MK.

cw1982

Original Poster
Also, most TS restaurants have pretty late reservation options for dinner. I personally like having ADR's, even when it's just my husband and I, because it's one less thing to worry about when I am actually on vacation. I already know where to show up and when. Not to mention, I can manage my lunch and snacks based on what I expect from the meal (Definitely less on Ohana days!).

I'm an extremely light eater anyways... at least in terms of amount of food. I had weight loss surgery two years ago and can only eat about a cup of food at a time, at best, probably even less in the kind of heat we'll be in at WDW. DH and I will probably be sharing meals at most of our sit down meals, so part of me almost thinks we will do better with QS so we don't pay as much and have a wider choice of menus to work with... but I could be wrong on that front.

I did book a character breakfast at 1900 Park Faire, just in case we decide we really want to do one... I chose that one based on cost primarily, but honestly it seems like it would be more fun to do one at a park. Maybe I'm wrong on that... regardless, I may end up cancelling that, because DH had the same surgery I did, and even though he eats more than I do, buffets in general tend to be a depressingly ridiculous waste of money when both of us combined might eat as much in one meal as a normal person would.

cw1982

Original Poster
Men. They will never help any woman plan a vacation. Heck I had to drag my boyfriend into Trails End at the Campgrounds because he hated the thought of going into a real restaurant. 6 plates later, he was begging to come back! If you and your DH love country-style food (bbq, chicken, mashed potatoes etc) I would suggest Trails End. Its an amazing buffet for Dinner, you really don't need reservations ( you can pretty much book same day res if you needed to anyways). Trails End is at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds, a boat ride from Magic Kingdom. So if your really hungry at MK and want to just eat for days, Trails End is an amazing place to eat. And then you can get back on the boat and go back to MK.

OMG... DH does love that kind of food! I'm going to keep that in mind; in fact, that might be perfect for our first night there, since we'll be at MK. Thanks!

mammaminnie

I'm an extremely light eater anyways... at least in terms of amount of food. I had weight loss surgery two years ago and can only eat about a cup of food at a time, at best, probably even less in the kind of heat we'll be in at WDW. DH and I will probably be sharing meals at most of our sit down meals, so part of me almost thinks we will do better with QS so we don't pay as much and have a wider choice of menus to work with... but I could be wrong on that front.

I did book a character breakfast at 1900 Park Faire, just in case we decide we really want to do one... I chose that one based on cost primarily, but honestly it seems like it would be more fun to do one at a park. Maybe I'm wrong on that... regardless, I may end up cancelling that, because DH had the same surgery I did, and even though he eats more than I do, buffets in general tend to be a depressingly ridiculous waste of money when both of us combined might eat as much in one meal as a normal person would.

That makes sense :) TS is always soooo much food! Don't get me wrong, I love indulging while I am on vacation, but if you can't eat enough to make it worth the price, then definitely consider the QS.

USAF79

As a couple we never had trouble making late dinner reservations for two at most places the day before and sometimes day of using the disney app. Unless you specifically want a certain restaurant you don't have to make ADR. There was always openings at sit downs at 8pm and later..... Cancelations always popped up the day before with great choices and times....

cw1982

Original Poster
As a couple we never had trouble making late dinner reservations for two at most places the day before and sometimes day of. Unless you specifically want a restaurant you don't have to make ADR. There was always openings at sit downs at 8pm and later..... Cancelations always popped up the day before with great choices and times....

Good to know. Thank you :)

HouCuseChickie

I do love 1900 PF breakfast and would keep that, but I might look into options in place of RFC and Planet Hollywood. While we avoid RFC because we have 3 locally, the food is mediocre at best IMO. I haven't eaten at Planet Hollywood in eons, but those coupons are usually given because it's my understanding that they have a harder time getting patrons. If you want a meal like RFC...T-Rex is usually the better option. You likely won't see any available ADRs online, but you can call T-Rex directly to book a reservation as they are Landry's owned and keep more spots open directly through the restaurant. You might also look at the Raglan Road menu if you're looking at TS in DTD. They often have entertainment during dinner.

Beyond that- there are just so many dining options. It can be overwhelming and maybe not even worth it for a buffet if you're eating really light. i.e. you may be better off at a TS spot with a menu where you can just order an entrée or even just an appetizer. We personally love TS meals and consider them an integral part of our trip and trip enjoyment, but everyone is different and you have to plan for what is best for you. I'd spend some time on Allears checking out their menus and see if anything stands out to you. That might help guide you. The Disney Food Blog is also good :)

sring

I also had weight loss surgery, but back in 2007. Although I can eat more today than I did in 2009, it's still very hard to do a whole meal at Disney (though I do give it a fair try).

One thing I would recommend, especially if you tend to eat later is that, if you plan to take in Illuminations at EPCOT that you make a table service reservation around WS so you can take in dinner and have a view of Illuminations. I've heard Rose & Crown in the UK Pavilion is good for that (though haven't personally eaten there) and Spice Road Table in Morocco - I've heard mixed results about the food at Spice Road Table (Again I haven't personally eaten there) but their menu is all small plate so that fit better, quantity wise, for a weight loss surgery patient. I also hear the view from California Grill at the Contemporary Resort for the Magic Kingdom fireworks if you get the correct table is good as well. Those are the places I can think of that might be tough to get a late ADR if you wanted to try them.

There are others that are just plain tough to get ADRs for last minute, but you should be able to find something. As mentioned check with the Concierge or Guest Services at your resort.

iluvMainStMagic

Guest Services in any park can also help you with ADR's, that way if you are out and see a location or read a menu that interests you, or forget to stop and check at your resort, you can still find out what/if it is available....or you can use MyDisneyExperience. [I still like talking to a person, and it always seems to me that they can navigate the system faster than I can ;)]
I agree with the suggestion of calling T-Rex or Rain Forest directly. They appear to book the majority of their reservations directly, with only a limited # available through Disney Dining. That might give you more time options if you still decide you want to eat at one of them. Also (just in case you weren't already aware), there are 2 Rain Forest Cafe locations - one at Downtown Disney, and one to the left of the Animal Kingdom entrance....though since Ak closes earlier than the other parks, that may not be a location that would interest you for dinner.

popcenturylover

One thing I'm really having a hard time with is wrapping my brain around the idea of having a bunch of ADR's for a trip that's still over two months out. Part of this, I think, stems from the fact that I'm not sure how much time we realistically will want to spend at sit-down restaurants when we know we have so many things we want to make sure we get to do in terms of attractions. Honestly, the biggest thing I'd like to ensure is that we get to spend the first part of our trip figuring out what our favorites are at each park and then try and come up with a plan for our last couple of days (a Thursday and Friday) that will allow us to hop between the four parks and revisit those favorites again before we leave. We have six days worth of park hoppers, so on that front it seems doable.

Other factors/notations:
1) we do have reservations for Rainforest Café (since several friends of mine said it's pretty good) and Planet Hollywood (since our package is supposed to come with a coupon lol... although I figured DH and I will probably want to check out DTD anyway, so why not eat there?). They are on the same day... RFC is a late lunch and PH is a late dinner, since we generally stay up late.
2) I am keeping an eye out to see if I get any kind of access to FP+ for BOG lunch just because I think it would be a cool place to go. Friends have raved about the dinner experience, but I can't see paying that much for food that doesn't sound that appealing to me, and honestly the lunch menu looks like it will fit our tastes better than the dinner would anyway.
3) we don't have any children, so it will just be us for the most part (although we do have friends who will be down at the same time and other friends who have AP's, so we will probably end up making plans with them for that Friday evening... presumably at Epcot since they have the evening EMH that day)
4) DH and I tend to be night owls and not enjoy getting up too early, especially on vacation. Given that information, I'm not sure we'll be doing much (if any) rope dropping.

Given that information, my instinct says to lay off the ADR's for other meals for now and plan to do mostly QS and snacks that we will be bringing in with us... to the vets, does that sound like a good plan, or do you think we will regret not having planned for more ADR's?
Instead of Planet Hollywood I would suggest eating QS at Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express. They are Soooooo much better! We ate at PH in 09' & it was not very good & for not being busy service wasn't that great. We also ate at WPC in 09' & it was one of the best meals I've ever had on Disney property. On our last trip we ate at EOS & their sandwiches are So look good! I had the Holiday Sandwich & it was unlike any sandwich I've ever had!

iluvMainStMagic

Just thought of something else about eating smaller meals - at CS locations, though it isn't shown on the menu boards, you can order just an entree without getting it as a combo, which saves wasting food and $. It sounds like you already know that you are welcome to share meals anywhere except a buffet or family-style service (like 'Ohana), but you should also be able to order from the kids menu at most places (if it has something you want and that portion works better for you). At a CS it's no problem, it doesn't matter who the meal is for. At a TS I usually ask to be sure they will allow it - it seems like they should, especially for guests paying out of pocket, but some places seem more willing than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom