Suggestions for a Pregnant Lady

CinderellyKelly

Hi!

I'm going to Disney in January and I will be 6 months pregnant :) :) :) My hubby and I are SUPER excited about the new addition to our family!

However, I am a roller coaster junkie and am "slightly" bummed that I wont be able to ride a lot of the attractions I look forward to every year for our annual Disney trip.

My wonderful husband has volunteered to hang back with me while the rest of my extended fam rides the attractions that are not Baby Charlie friendly.

What are some really fun things to do in the parks that I may have skipped over in years passed on my way to the bigger rides like the mountains and Tower of Terror?

Trying to think of some fun, new-to-me things :)

THANKS!

DizneyPryncess

I went to WDW at about 4.5 months pregnant this past year, and it was new for me too. The following are restricted for expectant moms.

-Dinosaur
-Expedition Everest
-Kali River Rapids
-Kilimanjaro Safari (I asked why, and they said the suspension bridge was too bumpy. Some pregnant women risk it, I didn't.)
-Primeval Whirl
-Mission Space
-Test Track
-Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
-Space Mountain
-Splash Mountain (I was told plume rides were ok'd by some women's doctors. I still skipped it.)
-Tomorrowland Speedway
-Rock N Roller Coaster
-Star Tours
-Tower of Terror

I know that seems like a lot, but there's so much more to do. All the shows are great. My favorites are Flights of Wonder, Philharmagic, It's Tough to Be a Bug, and Festival of the Lion King. You've also got the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Finding Nemo the Musical, Captain EO, The Muppets 3-D....any others I may have forgotten.

Take breaks, you will need them. Hall of Presidents, Ellen's Energy Adventure, and Carousel of Progress are longer attractions that will get you off your feet & in the air conditioning. I took the monorail over to the Polynesian & relaxed in the lounge for a few hours & had a snack. Nice way to break up the day.

Schedule sit down meals sometimes, instead of quick service. It's another way to get you much needed breaks, and good food. Plus the restaurants are half the fun. You can try some places you've never been.

Give yourself down time to relax at the pool, or stroll around downtown disney. I found that my pregnant trip to disney wasn't so "go, go, go" like normal trips are. We took things at a much slower pace, and spent more time at the resort than normal. If you haven't seen La Nouba, it's a great show at Downtown Disney. I'd recommend seeing that one evening that you won't be in a park.

You could pick up a hidden mickey book, and spend some time hunting around the parks. I love doing that, and thought it was fun when I couldn't ride everything. You'll love your pregnant Disney trip ~ congratulations & have fun!! :wave:

Upvote 0

828tnt

first off, congrats!!!

and congrats to DizneyPryncess too! ;) she offers some really great advice. my wife and i did this just 10 1/2 short weeks ago- oddly, elias is getting ready to turn 11 weeks old in 5 days. :D

i really like the suggestion of some of the 3d movies, if you're into them. my best suggestions are enjoying some of the other resorts and especially restaurants. one of my favorite things from our trip was the time we spent at a few character breakfasts. the characters really played to her belly!

we also bought infant mickey ears (blue for us of course) and had our favorite characters sign it ______ a gift to our unborn baby.

and take 1000's of pics!!!!!!

and even though you are much further along than we were, be prepared medically. we had a list of hospitals (covered and not covered by our insurance) mapped out for our drive, as well as all of our records from our pregnancy, and a car seat- just in case :rolleyes:

enjoy your trip! you will remember it forever! i know we will!!!

(here's a link to my thread about our trip- hope no one thinks i'm being rude)
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=807332

Upvote 0

njBadLands

Congrats

First of all congrats!

My wife and I went last January when she was 4 months preggo. Nicholas is now 5 months old and will be experiencing Disney for the 2nd time (first in belly) in February.

My wife is a coaster junkie and she still had a great time. We did not go to Animal Kingdom, because there is not much to do there when pregnant.

We did enjoy 2 days at MK, a great day at Epcot, and a half day at Hollywood Studios. Our day at universal was not very good for her, as not much she could do.

Lucky for you youre out of your first trimester, so you should be passed all of the tired/sleepy/morning sickness time of your pregnancy. That said, there is a lot to do.

First of all EAT. We went to a lot of sit down lunches and dinners and that was very enjoyable. We knew it would be our last trip before the baby came, so we made the most of it.

At the parks, you can do basically everything at MK. The only things my wife didnt do were the mountains and tomorrow land speedway. We were apprehensive to do Pirates because of that one minor drop, but her OB (who has been to disney before) assured her that as fine. We went on it 2x w/ no issues (and we always err on the side of caution).

At epcot the only thing she couldnt do was Test Track, the ride in Norway, and the space simulator (i do not know why name is escaping me... probably because I blocked it out due to the motion sickness it gave me)... even soarin' was fine.

At no point did she go on anything that she felt uncomfortable with. We were lucky because we went with another couple also preggo, so I was able to do the attractions my wife could not with our friend.

One more pointer, be sure to take some breaks. You do not want to dehydrate or tire yourself. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

irmonkey

My wife and I did this same trip last November. Our daughter is now nine months old! Missing the "bigger" rides wasn't as bad as we had expected. We were actually there during the last couple days of the Food and Wine Festival. ;)

Upvote 0

righttrack

I guess the whole bumping/jarring thing is to be avoided. I'll also say that mismanagement in the loading/unloading area of the "boat rides" such as POC, IaSW, and Mexico can lead to a bump to the boat in front or behind you. That hasn't happened to me lately, but it has in the past, where we smacked the boat ahead of us pretty hard. I don't say it's a "risk" but it's important to note that while it doesn't usually happen, it is possible.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Hi!

I'm going to Disney in January and I will be 6 months pregnant :) :) :) My hubby and I are SUPER excited about the new addition to our family!

However, I am a roller coaster junkie and am "slightly" bummed that I wont be able to ride a lot of the attractions I look forward to every year for our annual Disney trip.

My wonderful husband has volunteered to hang back with me while the rest of my extended fam rides the attractions that are not Baby Charlie friendly.

What are some really fun things to do in the parks that I may have skipped over in years passed on my way to the bigger rides like the mountains and Tower of Terror?

Trying to think of some fun, new-to-me things :)

THANKS!

I just found out I'm expecting and I leave for Disney in 2 weeks! I'm hoping I can cope with the morning sickness while there. I'm not sure if I should even still go, we are driving and for me that will be better than flying.

Check out the stores, talk w/cast members, take some extra time through some of the lines like Expedition Everest and then don't ride. Take in some of the shows. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

alisonwonderlnd

Never been there expecting..but adding in some ideas.
The slower more gentle rides?
Shows/ parades
people watch
Shop or window shop
Epcot i think would be great to slowly explore at this time

Upvote 0

musketeer

We went when my wife was 5 months pregnant. We've always been hard-core super headliner, running right at the rope drop, type people. We obviously knew we couldn't do that during that trip. I was a bit concerned at first, but it ended up being a completely different experience, and a really great time.

It is SO much less stressful when you don't have to run to get a fastpass for this, then run to ride the other ride, then run back, all that early morning frenzy. We were able to do lots of things we had never done before because we didn't think they were worth it. For example, I never even gave a 2nd thought to the Riverboat in the Magic Kingdom...and MAN did I LOVE that. It was so cool.

And we never even thought of doing putt-putt, but we tried Fantasia gardens, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We were there the week leading up to and including christmas, and I expected the putt-putt place to be packed, but it wasn't at all, barely anyone there.

Since one of our favorite rides is Soarin, we were able to ride that over and over and over again.

It was just a really relaxing time, like I said, I was nervous that I would miss everything so much, but I didn't hardly at all.

Upvote 0

pcarathers

FIRST OFF! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You will be surprised at what you will see for the "first" time. Most of our times are focused on getting to the "BIG" rides/attractions that we lose sight on everything else around us. Take in the scenery. In Epcot, look at each country closer. There are a LOT of hidden gems in the "world" as we find something new just about each time we have gone!
Love the idea of buying the mouseears (If you know what the gender of the baby is going to be)....and having the characters sign it.
Just be reminded to take your time and not over do it.:)

Upvote 0

828tnt

We went when my wife was 5 months pregnant. We've always been hard-core super headliner, running right at the rope drop, type people. We obviously knew we couldn't do that during that trip. I was a bit concerned at first, but it ended up being a completely different experience, and a really great time.

It is SO much less stressful when you don't have to run to get a fastpass for this, then run to ride the other ride, then run back, all that early morning frenzy. We were able to do lots of things we had never done before because we didn't think they were worth it. For example, I never even gave a 2nd thought to the Riverboat in the Magic Kingdom...and MAN did I LOVE that. It was so cool.

And we never even thought of doing putt-putt, but we tried Fantasia gardens, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We were there the week leading up to and including christmas, and I expected the putt-putt place to be packed, but it wasn't at all, barely anyone there.

Since one of our favorite rides is Soarin, we were able to ride that over and over and over again.

It was just a really relaxing time, like I said, I was nervous that I would miss everything so much, but I didn't hardly at all.

isn't that one of the really great things about wdw in the first place, how completely different the experience can really be? :)

i loved your ideas for the riverboat- i can't believe i forgot to mention that one. (we kept missing the departure and didn't want to wait) but the mini golf idea is brilliant!!!!! i've always wanted to make this happen and never found the time- or forgot:lol:.

congrats!!!

Upvote 0

828tnt

FIRST OFF! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You will be surprised at what you will see for the "first" time. Most of our times are focused on getting to the "BIG" rides/attractions that we lose sight on everything else around us. Take in the scenery. In Epcot, look at each country closer. There are a LOT of hidden gems in the "world" as we find something new just about each time we have gone!
Love the idea of buying the mouseears (If you know what the gender of the baby is going to be)....and having the characters sign it.
Just be reminded to take your time and not over do it.:)

thanks! we honestly didn't even think of it until day 2. we were walking from future wold into world showcase checking out the hats and ears, and my wife and i just looked at each other...... pretty cool!

Upvote 0

Tasha315

Congratulations!

If you are anything like my wife you will tire easily. Remember visitors often walk 6 miles per day. Rest a lot! Take breaks, this may be a great time to just sit by your resort's swimming pool.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom