Studio Ghibli at Disney

l4dybu6

Original Poster
I know they sell some stuff from the movies in the shop at Epcot, but wouldn't it be cool if there was more representation around the parks? Or even just a meet and greet with some of the characters.... (The movies are licensed by Disney, so it should be possible)
Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
No offense, but are you requesting MORE meet and greets? The movies/characters could be represented in an....um.....what do you call it?....oh yeah, an attraction. A word TDO has obviously stricken from their vocabulary.

The Empress Lilly

Ghibli is great! For me it would feel no less of a mismatch than Pixar. But Pixar is owned by Disney, Ghibli is only distributed. There's no real incentive for Disney to increase Ghibli's presence in the parks.

Wish they would add some fireflies to the Japan pavilion garden...

l4dybu6

Original Poster
While an attraction WOULD be amazing, the movies are lesser known than many Disney ones so that probably wouldn't happen. Which is why at the very least, a m & g. would be nice....
Maybe they could update TGMR and put a scene from one of the movies or put some sort of attraction in the Japan pavilion. I don't think they would, though, since it would not draw as loud of a crowd as something from, say, Tangled would

PUSH

I had no idea what that was and had to google it, and still have no idea what it is....lol

I felt like I was the only one who didn't know what it was. But when I did look it up, I recognized the logo. I believe someone has it as their profile pic on this site.

l4dybu6

Original Poster
I had no idea what that was and had to google it, and still have no idea what it is....lol
It's an animation studio that makes movies... They're really good! If you haven't seen one, I suggest you check them out :)
Try watching Spirited Away or Kiki's Delivery Service

awoogala

I know they sell some stuff from the movies in the shop at Epcot, but wouldn't it be cool if there was more representation around the parks? Or even just a meet and greet with some of the characters.... (The movies are licensed by Disney, so it should be possible)
Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?
yes, yes, yes! I want to fly on totoro! Swim with Ponyo! Fly with KIKI! I would love ghibli to come to the world pavilions, as a ride or a show or anything! We watch ghibli movies here at least once a week!

Cmdr_Crimson

It's an animation studio that makes movies... They're really good! If you haven't seen one, I suggest you check them out :)
Try watching Spirited Away or Kiki's Delivery Service

Castle of Cagliostro one of the Lupin III Movies and probably the best of them...

BryceM

Castle of Cagliostro one of the Lupin III Movies and probably the best of them...
Personally, my favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. I also like My Neighbor Totoro, and I saw some merchandise from that film being sold in the Japan pavilion.

Honestly, I don't think Studio Ghibli needs a bigger presence in the parks. Clearly not enough people know what is. Though, it would be cool for Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland to add a new gate called "Disney-Ghibli Studios" or something along those lines. I'm sure Studio Ghibli is much more relevant over there than it is here.

awoogala

Personally, my favorite is Howl's Moving Castle. I also like My Neighbor Totoro, and I saw some merchandise from that film being sold in the Japan pavilion.

Honestly, I don't think Studio Ghibli needs a bigger presence in the parks. Clearly not enough people know what is. Though, it would be cool for Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland to add a new gate called "Disney-Ghibli Studios" or something along those lines. I'm sure Studio Ghibli is much more relevant over there than it is here.
how about arriety? disney just sent that to real theaters last year.

Tip Top Club

Ghibli is not really in line with the core Disney Brand. I suppose it would be possible to see a presence in the parks, but Unlikely. To me they are so far away from the tone of the parks that it would feel jarring. I am also generally uninterested, but that is one person's opinion.

awoogala

Ghibli is not really in line with the core Disney Brand. I suppose it would be possible to see a presence in the parks, but Unlikely. To me they are so far away from the tone of the parks that it would feel jarring. I am also generally uninterested, but that is one person's opinion.
considering the pixar team did the american dubbing, the dvds are introduced by Lasseter, and it's all hand drawn animation (and ponyo is an abstract version of the little mermaid), I don't see why it would be "far away" from the tone. It is also popular around the world, which would be a nice nod to foreign visitors.

EpcotServo

considering the pixar team did the american dubbing, the dvds are introduced by Lasseter, and it's all hand drawn animation (and ponyo is an abstract version of the little mermaid), I don't see why it would be "far away" from the tone.

^Exactly. I don't think it's obscure in the least, just watch the Ghibli section in Japan light up with conversation about their films next time you are there. They're much better at what Disney and Pixar animated films do best (Let alone good friends with Pixar, business relations with Disney) so there's no question about fitting in. And Disney could use the less jarring and visually stunning original rides that could be built around almost any of these movies. There are only two problems:

1. A good deal of Americans won't watch the same show/film they'd adore if it was live action and on HBO if it just happens to be Animated and from Japan. Basically the same people who woot around World Showcase for "Ferr'ign beers"

2. Ghibli HAS already dabbled in the Theme Park business with it's own "Ghibli Museum", which is strictly designed and carefully restricted to be an intimate and personal experience, with no lines or unsightly infrastructure. It's all just stunning and magical in a way I imagine no Theme Park could be on the large scale it takes to be a theme park.

So basically this is one of those things they should, by all accounts, BE doing-but never will.

Fun Fact: The Toy Story Zoetrope in DCA's Animation building has a placard noting it's thanks to the Ghibli museum's 3D zoetrope which inspired it.

journ116

My family and I LOVE Studio Ghibili films! Every time we visit the Japan pavilion, we look for newer Ghibili merchandise because you cannot find it anywhere else (save the Internet). The CM's there get a kick out of it when they hear my DD's screech with delight and know the characters by name! We now own: Gigi, Ponyo, the three Totoros, and the cat bus, along with a great kids book of Kiki's delivery service! My youngest DD loves to pretend she is either Kiki, and gently positions Gigi on her little broom, or Mae, and walks around the house carrying the big grey Totoro (I love the music)!

Needless to say, my family would be one of the first in line for any m & g's! But I doubt there will ever be any :(

Cmdr_Crimson

They also give Ghibili a nod in Toy Story 3...Molly has a Totoro Doll...
toy-story-3-totoro.jpg

Texas84

how about arriety? disney just sent that to real theaters last year.
I'm really not a Ghibli fan but that was a beautiful movie. Even the dubbing was well done. And I generally hate english dubs. But again, outside of us USA otaku, no one knows what a Ghibli is. I wish Disney would do even more to get anime popular over here.

^Exactly. I don't think it's obscure in the least, just watch the Ghibli section in Japan light up with conversation about their films next time you are there. They're much better at what Disney and Pixar animated films do best (Let alone good friends with Pixar, business relations with Disney) so there's no question about fitting in. And Disney could use the less jarring and visually stunning original rides that could be built around almost any of these movies. There are only two problems:

1. A good deal of Americans won't watch the same show/film they'd adore if it was live action and on HBO if it just happens to be Animated and from Japan. Basically the same people who woot around World Showcase for "Ferr'ign beers"

2. Ghibli HAS already dabbled in the Theme Park business with it's own "Ghibli Museum", which is strictly designed and carefully restricted to be an intimate and personal experience, with no lines or unsightly infrastructure. It's all just stunning and magical in a way I imagine no Theme Park could be on the large scale it takes to be a theme park.

So basically this is one of those things they should, by all accounts, BE doing-but never will.

Fun Fact: The Toy Story Zoetrope in DCA's Animation building has a placard noting it's thanks to the Ghibli museum's 3D zoetrope which inspired it.
Where you been hiding?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom