Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

TyrantBoss

Original Poster
After watching the newest Imagineer tour of Storytime with Belle I have a disturbing feeling.
I feel that the attraction will be absolutely boring for adults, especially those without kids, and teens.

Maurice's cottage looks great, but that is just the cue of the attraction.
The magic mirror looks amazing...and that takes you into Belle's library.
The talking wardrobe is fantastic and fun....but then.....

The cast member starts handing out cardboard picture frames, horse heads, and mockups of the dog/footstool.
She throws a cloth cape on a kid to play The Beast and then they are going to be part of the retelling of Beauty and the Beast. (Yes, not even The Beast shows up....you get some little kid playing The Beast...seriously?!)

That's It?!?!? That's all we get after all of this time, money and build up. We get to be trapped in a room while we watch little kids reenact the story of Beauty and the Beast? No changing scenery? No moving us through the ride or revolving stage like Carousel of Progress? Just a cast member playing Belle, 6 or 7 little kids with cardboard props, and a room where we have to sit and watch them act it out?!

Explain to me how this meets with Walt Disney's vision of having attractions fun for kids AND adults?
The only adults that can thoroughly enjoy this are the parents of the kids in the show. Everyone else gets to watch and be bored like you are in Turtle Talk with Crush.

Why do the Disney suits have to tailor everything toward only kids now?

So if I have no kids, and want to check out Storytime with Belle here is what is going to happen.
1) I wait in a ridiculously long cue just to walk through Maurice's cottage.
2) I shuffle into a little room with a group of other people to watch the show and there is nothing else for me to dobut to watch the kids perform. Yawn.
3) Meanwhile the next group will have to wait for (probably 10 minutes) the show to end and the next group to come in.
This is not Philharmagic where an auditorium of people can file in and move the line quickly. This is a small group show.

I see a major problem with this attraction. No dark ride, no fast moving flow of peope, just walk and wait. It seems very much like ToonTown and walking through Mickey's cottage. As an adult it is fun once to check it out....and I never went back there again.

IF this is all Storytime with Belle is going to be....I see a tremendous missed opportunity by Disney imagineers to make this something even more special and inclusive.

I am curious to hear everyone's feedback, or if someone has more information that can prove me wrong.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
After watching the newest Imagineer tour of Storytime with Belle I have a disturbing feeling.
I feel that the attraction will be absolutely boring for adults, especially those without kids, and teens.

The cast member starts handing out cardboard picture frames, horse heads, and mockups of the dog/footstool.
She throws a cloth cape on a kid to play The Beast and then they are going to be part of the retelling of Beauty and the Beast. (Yes, not even The Beast shows up....you get some little kid playing The Beast...seriously?!)

That's It?!?!? That's all we get after all of this time, money and build up. We get to be trapped in a room while we watch little kids reenact the story of Beauty and the Beast? No changing scenery? No moving us through the ride or revolving stage like Carousel of Progress? Just a cast member playing Belle, 6 or 7 little kids with cardboard props, and a room where we have to sit and watch them act it out?!

Explain to me how this meets with Walt Disney's vision of having attractions fun for kids AND adults?
The only adults that can thoroughly enjoy this are the parents of the kids in the show. Everyone else gets to watch and be bored like you are in Turtle Talk with Crush.

So if I have no kids, and want to check out Storytime with Belle here is what is going to happen.
2) I shuffle into a little room with a group of other people to watch the show and there is nothing else for me to dobut to watch the kids perform. Yawn.
3) Meanwhile the next group will have to wait for (probably 10 minutes) the show to end and the next group to come in.
This is not Philharmagic where an auditorium of people can file in and move the line quickly. This is a small group show.

I see a major problem with this attraction. No dark ride, no fast moving flow of peope, just walk and wait. It seems very much like ToonTown and walking through Mickey's cottage. As an adult it is fun once to check it out....and I never went back there again.

IF this is all Storytime with Belle is going to be....I see a tremendous missed opportunity by Disney imagineers to make this something even more special and inclusive.

I am curious to hear everyone's feedback, or if someone has more information that can prove me wrong.

This is a Fantasyland attraction that is targeted towards families with young children. It has clearly been setup in that way. I'm not sure what you were expecting, but it has always been that this would be an elaborate meet and greet session. If this is not something that interests you, the attraction is not for you.

I do feel that it will be an absolute smash hit with the target audience however.

Mawg

Sorry, it's for kids, or parents to watch their kids or adults who enjoy watching kids interact with characters. It sounds like this attraction just isn't targeted towards you. My kids can't go on Mt. Everest and are disappointed, sounds like this attraction will leave you disappointed but my kids will love it.

montyz81

It is very much equivalent to the Ollivanders experience I suspect. I bet you that is probably even why they did it.

ExtinctJenn

Honestly, I think attractions like this are a great way of taking something generally "boring" for parents and making it something fun. As a mom, standing in a line for an M&G is only entertaining for me because I love seeing my son's reaction and taking tons of pictures etc. Putting an M&G together with something like this I think feels much more like something Walt would've done.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I see this idea thrown around alot, but personally I don't think it was ever Walt's intention that every attraction should be equally enjoyable for every age, but instead that the parks should have have something in them for everyone. Even with the kid-oriented additions in the Fantasyland Expansion, there are still a good balance in Magic Kingdom. There are things aimed at the little ones, plenty of attractions that both kids and adults can enjoy together, and some mild thrill rides that aren't suitable for the real little ones.

MagicMike

The complaining before the attraction ever even officially opens....
9599139.jpg

stichrules

I just watched the video and I thought it was absolutely stunning. Yes I have granddaughters who will just love this, but even if we did not have them my wife and I would adore this. To me this is what the Disney Magic is all about. I cannot seem to understand why most people on these boards are obsessed with every new thing having to be a thrill ride. I think this attraction is fabulous and cannot wait until we see when we go down right after thanksgiving.

MickeyPeace

Already we are seeing moms saying "this is not for you but my kid will love it" to a guest who is paying the same ticket price as she is. Attractions should be for all ages like Walt intended. In the past, even kiddie rides like Tea Cups and Dumbo could be enjoyed by guests of all ages.

It is only now that Imagineers are isolating guests without children with attractions like these and playground queues being slapped on every attraction. This park was founded on the mission statement that guests of all ages could enjoy the attractions.

Again, moms if you want a place to take the kiddies that is just for kiddies, Legoland is down the street.

awilliams4

Already we are seeing moms saying "this is not for you but my kid will love it" to a guest who is paying the same ticket price as she is. Attractions should be for all ages like Walt intended. In the past, even kiddie rides like Tea Cups and Dumbo could be enjoyed by guests of all ages.

It is only now that Imagineers are isolating guests without children with attractions like these and playground queues being slapped on every attraction. This park was founded on the mission statement that guests of all ages could enjoy the attractions.

Again, moms if you want a place to take the kiddies that is just for kiddies, Legoland is down the street.

Do you believe that Space Mountain should be shuttered because kids that aren't 44' tall cannot ride?

phi2134

Ladies and gentleman may I present to you ...someone who i am assuming is over 18 but really can't tell because of their maturity level, complaining about how every attraction/show must be created with them in mind and must cater to their every need.

Mawg

My 3 year old son just rode space mountain at Disneyland and loved it, it was his favorite ride. He just met the height requirement at 40 inches. we are going to Disney World now in June, the ht requirement at Disney World for space mountian is 44 inches. There is no way he is going to grow 4 inches in 8 months. We already told him he won't be able to ride it and he is very disappointed but still excited to go. I guess he can live with disappointment better than you can. Or by your comments they should take Space Mountain out and replace with something everyone can enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom