Stitch79's Trip Report

My bf (Ron) and I took this trip for his birthday weekend on May 16-19. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and had a great time! Ron will be adding the restaurant reviews soon.

Friday, Day 1-

We got up and left the house around 9am, around 10:15am we arrived at the Grand Floridian Spa to check in for our massage appointment (yay!). I was led to the ladies area to change into my robe and slippers. Lisa, my massage therapist, came to get me soon after. I have to say that this was definitely one of the big highlights of the trip. The massage room was dimmed with relaxing “mood” music was playing and I think I almost fell asleep during the massage since I was so relaxed. All too soon it was over and we were headed to the Kona Café in the Polynesian for lunch.

After our lunch at about 1pm we headed to check in the AKL. Neither one of us had been there yet so we were awestruck walking into the lobby. It was so huge! The smell was one of the first things I noticed, it was a pleasant mix of cinnamon and a smoky-fireplace smell, I immediately liked and fell in love with this place. Everyone was very nice at the check in desk and answered all of our questions. The lobby seemed pretty quiet at this time of day and it was nice to just walk around trying to take everything in. I found a couple hidden mickeys, which is always fun. Our room overlooked a Savannah, I don’t remember which one, and it was a good source of entertainment throughout the trip. We saw several zebras, giraffe, antelopes, and the huge cow-looking animals with the large horns (I have no idea what they are called.) It was hot on the balcony but it was nice just to sit and watch the animals go by. The room overall was nice and it was themed great to fit in with the hotel.

Ron and I explored the hotel and the shop until about 5 when it was time to get ready for a great dinner at Jiko’s.

Once dinner was over we went to MGM to see Fantasmic for the first time. After finally finding a seat we were entertained by the most adorable little girl in front of us, she seemed fascinated with playing peek-a-boo with Ron. The show started soon after and it was everything people have said it was. I could not believe I waited so long to see it. After Fantasmic we headed back to the hotel to turn in for the night.

Stitch79

Original Poster
Saturday, Day 2-

We had a PS for 9:15a at Boma’s for breakfast. This was another first and it was pretty good for a breakfast buffet. It was nice to have some different selections than the standard eggs and bacon. We also tried Frunch, another hit.

Saturday we decided to brave Animal Kingdom since we had not been there for quite awhile. It was scorching! We made it to the safari trip and I had fun telling Ron all the stories about the ride from Jim Hill’s site, about how the ride had originally been designed. We had never been on this ride either so we enjoyed it and got to see a lot of the animals since it was still early in the day. Ron decided that it would be fun to get me to try to eat a frozen banana even though he knows I cannot bite into things. (I have braces now so I cannot bite into things.) So I wound up getting a big splotch of chocolate on my shirt that I was not happy about! But its Disney and who can be mad while you are at Disney, so we had a good laugh at me and continued on the way. After the safari we rode Primeval Whirl since we liked it so much last time. It was about 2pm now so we decided to try to catch the bus to MGM.

Boy what a joke the buses are! We waited about 30 mins for the MGM bus but decided we would rather just go back to the hotel for a nap instead. So we waited another 15 mins for the hotel bus to arrive and had a nap before dinner at California Grill. After dinner we decided to go to Downtown Disney for a little shopping. Before I knew it we had gravitated to the Pin Shop and had picked up four pins we just had to have. We had not been interested in the pin gig before but now we are hooked!

Sunday, Day 3-

Today was Magic Kingdom day! We made it to the gates by about 11am and we were hungry so we headed to the Plaza restaurant. The sandwiches were great and so was the milkshake Ron ordered, all the sugar was good energy boost for the day. ;)

Our first stop was Tomorrowland, where we watched a band playing for a bit and then it was on to the peoplemover for relaxing ride around. I was disappointed to see COP and the Timekeeper closed still but I did not expect them to be open. We rode Space Mountain and then headed over to Fantasyland. I decided that since I haven’t rode on Snow White since I was about 8 then it was time to do it again. The wait was only about 10 mins and we had a nice trip around in our Bashful car.

After Snow White it was on to the Haunted Mansion for our usual spin around and then onto Tom Sawyer’s Island. We explored for a little while and then decided it was time to head back to the hotel. Dinner was at the Yachtman’s Steakhouse that night. After dinner we decided to check out the mini golf at Winter Summerland. We had fun there for awhile and then it was back to the AKL for the night. We decided to get dessert in the room. We tried the zebra dome and warm apple pudding, and both were very good.

Stitch79

Original Poster
Monday, Last Day ƒ¼ -

Monday we decided to head to EPCOT for lunch before going home. I stopped at about every country to take pictures since the Flower and Garden festival was still going on. The topiary guys are amazing! Lunch was at Biergarten in Germany. We had never been there before and it was pretty good, including our cute waiter ;).

After lunch we made our way to the park exit since we had to work the next day. Overall it was wonderful trip and I know where I want to go for my birthday!

I uploaded some of the pictures we took during our trip here: http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=6158&cat=500&thumb=1

Feel free to check them out.

I just want to say thanks to Pam (Kingdom Konsultant) for helping me set up this trip; without her help I don¡¦t think it would have been such a success. So anyone out there thinking about a Disney vacation be sure to talk to her.

Thanks Pam!!!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Originally posted by Stitch79

I just want to say thanks to Pam (Kingdom Konsultant) for helping me set up this trip; without her help I don¡¦t think it would have been such a success. So anyone out there thinking about a Disney vacation be sure to talk to her.

Thanks Pam!!! [/B]

Great trip report and pics Amanda! And you are very welcome. I am so happy that they upgraded you.

Thank you again for the rave reviews. I love helping people get the most out of their WDW trips. And I'm so happy that you were able to save so much money. A lot of travel agents only care about how much comission they will make. I care more about saving my clients time and money.

Pam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom