Stitch as the "new" Mickey?

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
All the research I've done on Mickey tells me he basically started as a real . Breaking conventions and rules, etc. Defying expectations and social convention. So now we have Stitch, who is also a big "eared' (and bigger eyed) character. Stitch crosses boundaries as a daily occurence, and shows no signs of stopping. I'm not suggesting we should ever replace our beloved Mouse...I just find it interesting that Disney seems to be returning to it's true roots via this character that seems to be very loved or very reviled.

And, just for the record (in case it's not obvious) I'm a huge Stitch fan.

All the research I've done on Mickey tells me he basically started as a real . Breaking conventions and rules, etc. Defying expectations and social convention. So now we have Stitch, who is also a big "eared' (and bigger eyed) character. Stitch crosses boundaries as a daily occurence, and shows no signs of stopping. I'm not suggesting we should ever replace our beloved Mouse...I just find it interesting that Disney seems to be returning to it's true roots via this character that seems to be very loved or very reviled.

And, just for the record (in case it's not obvious) I'm a huge Stitch fan.

I too love Stitch, but I see him more as a Donald Duck.

I find them both to be misunderstood!

WDWFigment

I don't think Stitch will ever, or can ever, have the impact of a Mickey Mouse character (not just Mickey Mouse, but a character of his ilk). Gone are the days of the cartoon short, and in are the days of the direct-to-dvd sequel. Stitch is not a character who will grow more revered with time due to his new roles, but one who will grow more reviled as Disney tries to 'cash in' on Lilo and Stitch 11: Stitch's Vegas Adventure. Further, unlike Mickey Mouse, who can play an array of roles (Bob Cratchit, a prince, etc), Stitch cannot play human roles as he is an unintelligible martian.

I would argue that the last Disney cartoon to capitalize on existing characters without making the public tired of them would be Rescue Rangers. Maybe the show Timon and Pumba had, I'm uncertain whether that was a success.

They can stamp Stitch on as much merchandise as they want, he won't have the staying power unless there is new substantive content (cartoons, movies) that have quality and originality.

CThaddeus

I'm a huge fan of Stich, as well. I've got all of the movies and TV shows on DVD, and I even like Stitch's Great Escape (way more than that building's former occupant). I know, though, he could never be as popular (in terms of staying power) as Mickey, but I do see your point in their similarities. I certainly can't see Stitch evolving in an almost human form like Mickey. I'm also not certain what kind of future there might be for Stitch now. Chris Sanders, his creator and voice, no longer works for Disney. This is truly unfortunate, as he was one of their best. I know Stitch's voice isn't hard to duplicate (I do it all the time), but the idea of continuing to do more Lilo and Stitch films/TV shows just seems wrong when their "father" is no longer around to guide them. Not that that would stop Disney...

Dj Corona

As much as I like Stitch, I honestly couldn't imagine him being elevated to an icon status on the same level as Mickey. Secondly, and i'm sure to the delight of many on these boards, Stitchmania seems to have definately lost some steam, if not for any other reason then the onslaught of all things involving pirates. With the rumored end of straight to DVD movies, everyone's favorite Alien Encounter killing drooling koala won't get much further then endless repeats on the Disney channels, and whatever new merchandising gets cooked up for him. Still like him, think he's a great character, but he seems to have hit the ceiling as far as creative potential is concerned.

I'm a huge fan of Stich, as well. I've got all of the movies and TV shows on DVD, and I even like Stitch's Great Escape (way more than that building's former occupant). I know, though, he could never be as popular (in terms of staying power) as Mickey, but I do see your point in their similarities. I certainly can't see Stitch evolving in an almost human form like Mickey. I'm also not certain what kind of future there might be for Stitch now. Chris Sanders, his creator and voice, no longer works for Disney. This is truly unfortunate, as he was one of their best. I know Stitch's voice isn't hard to duplicate (I do it all the time), but the idea of continuing to do more Lilo and Stitch films/TV shows just seems wrong when their "father" is no longer around to guide them. Not that that would stop Disney...

What was there before SGE?

Dj Corona

SGE is basically a dumbed down version involving Stitch of an older ride called Alien Encounter. Although there were plenty of warnings for the parents that it was too intense for the younger set, they still took them on, kids freaked out, they complained, etc.,etc. Anywho, much like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, there was, and still is a very angry sect of people who loved the original ride, and are especially ticked is was replaced with the latest cash cow of the moment. ( Mr. Toad was replaced with Winnie the Pooh when the he was the "it" character of the moment many years ago.)

SGE is basically a dumbed down version involving Stitch of an older ride called Alien Encounter. Although there were plenty of warnings for the parents that it was too intense for the younger set, they still took them on, kids freaked out, they complained, etc.,etc. Anywho, much like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, there was, and still is a very angry sect of people who loved the original ride, and are especially ticked is was replaced with the latest cash cow of the moment. ( Mr. Toad was replaced with Winnie the Pooh when the he was the "it" character of the moment many years ago.)

Oh I understand completely now. As a former Disneyland Employee and a Disney fanatic I understand how stupid people can be! I feel really bad for the fans of WDW as Disneyland still has Mr. Toads Wild Ride, and we love it. A few people can really screw it up for everyone! As a huge Stitch fan I was kinda disappointed with SGE.

Thanks for explaining.

CThaddeus

While I completely disagree with your assessment of Stitch's Great Escape, I will agree that it's not frightening anymore and I would further add that most children can handle it and do enjoy it. Alien Encounter was unnecessarily violent and an extemely unoptimistic view of the future. It didn't belong in the Magic Kingdom, but might have been okay in the Studios. Many on these boards will claim that Alien Encounter was more popular than Stitch, but the lines I encountered for both were pretty much equal. So, while they might have liked it, it was by no means a "hit" attraction. In the process of changing it, Disney also managed to rectify the biggest problem of Alien Encounter - a dull main show with a poorly animated "Alien on a stick." The Stitch audio-animatronic is one of Disney's best, and I find it adds immensely to the show. I actually want to see the main show now, instead of just wanting to leave once the SIR and Skippy portion (Alien Encounter) of the preshow ended.
Forgive the rant...I just get so tired of all the SGE-bashing around here. I'm sure it will continue now that it's been started, but that's my two cents (I could give you a few dollars' worth, but I'm sure no one wants that).

Dj Corona

Oh, I'm not bashing it, I was just explaining it from the Alien Encounter fan standpoint. I have no problem with SGE, and too believe Stitch is an amazing animatronic, right up there, if not better then Hopper at AK. Believe me, i've taken heat before here for defending the change from AE to SGE, but having having been a huge fan of Mr. Toad, I completely understand AE fans' dissapointment.

Oh, I'm not bashing it, I was just explaining it from the Alien Encounter fan standpoint. I have no problem with SGE, and too believe Stitch is an amazing animatronic, right up there, if not better then Hopper at AK. Believe me, i've taken heat before here for defending the change from AE to SGE, but having having been a huge fan of Mr. Toad, I completely understand AE fans' dissapointment.

I really wish I could remember the Stitch Animatronic:hammer:. Arg, i guess ill have to wait for September!

head mouse

mickey_years.jpg

IMO Stich is the worst thing to ever come out of Disney, (Pooh following a close second. At least Stich is an original Disney Idea though)

DisneyChik17

LOL and to add, they took out our Country Bear Jamboree at Disneyland for that stupid Winnie The Pooh Ride! Arg…I loved the bears!

Well, they took our Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and replaced it with Pooh. While, I do like Pooh, I LOVED Toad. I was so mad when they replaced it and I was only 9 or 10, but I was furious. I still get a little mad over the whole thing.

2excitedkids

our family loves stitch, my 6 year old (at the time was 4) named our new golden retriever STITCH. Everyone that hears us talk about our dog gets tickled!

Ella's Mommy

Its way to early in the morning for alcohol people :hammer: I dont see how anyone could put Mickey and that blue thing in the same category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom