Still get KTTW cards

DisneyJoe

Really? I never considered that yet would track your movements in the parks aside from purchases and FP. A little creepy.....
That transmission would be more for a character in an attraction or ride calling you by name when you are in a vehicle for example - if you allow it that information to be shared. But yes, gross tracking within a park can also be done. I believe it is for tracking crowd patterns.

G00fyDad

I guess for me I just don't see the purpose in it. But if they use it for safety reasons such as tracking a lost child then that could be a useful tool.

I understand that. However, there are some that totally freak out over this and act like Disney is trying to kidnap their children with it or something. They get very defensive and irate just thinking about it. I just don't get that. :confused: I don't really care if Mickey knows where I am, and how many times I used the bathroom by The Haunted Mansion. :happy:

dreamfinder

I guess for me I just don't see the purpose in it.

Plenty of purpose to it. The historical and trending data this could gather for them is huge. Say they notice that at 2:35, most people leave the individual lands, and start heading to get spots on the parade route. Well, WDW might decide that at 2:40, to move the ice cream cart from Adventureland, to Main Street to start selling to the waiting crowds. Or that on days when they have a certain item on display just as you walk in the store, that people are more likely to come into the store to shop. Or that sensing an extra large crowd in Tomorrowland, they dispatch an extra 2 janitors to help make sure the mess is clean. Determining guest flow might get them to decide to move a M&G, or reroute entertainment to a new area. I'd love to say that WDW will use it for good and adding to the guest experience, but most likely we will end up seeing it being used to maximize guest spend. Haven't been in the Emporium this week and you are leaving tomorrow? Here is a 15% coupon to use from 10-11:15 AM in the Emporium only. Or WDW knows that the recent batch of churros needs to be tossed if not sold in 15 mins, send a targeted message to people's cell phone in the area (Through MDE) saying that for the next 5 minutes, churros are 50% off.

Why? I have never understood this. Why is it creepy for a theme park to know if you passed Space Mountain three times or four? What nefarious things can any company do with this information? I am serious when I ask these things. I really do not get this. My father is the same way.

Dad - "The government is tracking our movements!!"
Me - "So what?"
Dad - "That should be illegal! I don't want them tracking what I do!!!!"
Me - "Why? Are you hiding something?"
DAD - "NO! I just don't want them to do it!"
Me - "Why?"
Dad - "Leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it anymore."

I'm with you on Disney and with your Dad on the gov't.

I don't care if Disney tracks me. The might market something to me. I can handle that. It's also my choice whether to participate. I can opt out, either by avoiding WDW altogether or, to a lesser extent, not wearing a MB.

The gov't is a whole other story. They're not tracking for marketing purpose and there is no choice. What I'm hiding is me. From the bureaucratic monkeys that can be sicked on citizens on the whim of another bureaucratic monkey. If you trust that whim will always be righteous, let's just say you have more faith in bureaucratic monkeys than I do.

A gov't that tracks its citizens is only doing so as a level of control over its citizens. No, thanks. That level of control has a way of constantly expanding and never shrinking. The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

RonAnnArbor

Just to clarify since this has gotten way off topic --
Right now during testing, you get regular kTTK as well as the band -- that is during testing ONLY that you can get regular fastpasses.
Once the real system is in place, you have the option to use the RFID card OR your wristband -- wristbands are not required --- but regular fastpass will be gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom